MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Fairul

Qatar Airways to Serve Langkawi via Penang Beginning 15 Oct 2019

QR just announce LGK as their new destination 2018/2019

Good on QR. They are now flying 24x weekly to KUL (more than EK) as well as 3x to PEN. With LGK soon to come, they will become the largest middle east airlines in Malaysia in terms of number of flights. I thought BKI will be the next destination especially after PEN.

QR just announce LGK as their new destination 2018/2019

Somehow, I sensed that this will be routed via another destination (PEN?, HKT?) to make it viable all year round.

Somehow, I sensed that this will be routed via another destination (PEN?, HKT?) to make it viable all year round.

Tag ons did not work last time when QR tagged on HKT to KUL. They returned with a direct flight and it is doing OK. Similarly, PEN is a direct flight. So, I think LGK should be the same.

Report on Airliners.net in QR thread that QR is going to start Langkawi. Any info?

Tag ons did not work last time when QR tagged on HKT to KUL. They returned with a direct flight and it is doing OK. Similarly, PEN is a direct flight. So, I think LGK should be the same.

QR tagged HKT to KUL before load on DOH-HKT is justified.

You can only say tag-ons failed to work if the destination is completely abandoned.

The fact that QR operated direct flights to HKT much later showed that tag-ons worked to build traffic and presence.

QR announced at ITB that they will fly 3 weekly flights to Langkawi beginning 15OCT2019 using 787. As with all QR announcements, take it with a grain of salt until QR finally lands in LGK.

Other destinations:

Izmir, Turkey

Malta

Rabat, Morocco

Davao, Phillipines

Lisbon, Portugal

Mogadishu, Somalia

Edited by Craig

QR will launch LGK beginning 15 October 2019. QR plans to serve LGK 4 weekly A332 initially before increasing to 5 weekly B788 a few weeks later (when Winter 19/20 schedule begins). Routing will be DOH-PEN-LGK both ways (no traffic rights between PEN and LGK obviously).

Edited by Craig

QR will launch LGK beginning 15 October 2019. QR plans to serve LGK 4 weekly A332 initially before increasing to 5 weekly B788 a few weeks later (when Winter 19/20 schedule begins). Routing will be DOH-PEN-LGK both ways (no traffic rights between PEN and LGK obviously).

One wonders if dine-on-demand is available on PEN-LGK :p

Sure. The average flying time on AK is ~18 mins for PEN-LGK and slightly longer for LGK-PEN (~20 mins) and QR's flight is blocked at 40 mins. You can dine either 30s or 45s later.

I think QR has a service on all their flights no matter how short it is, but I think this is their shortest flight (coming in at 129km or 80miles, compared to KUL-SIN at 296km / 184miles)

BTW, does anyone know why AK schedules 2 PEN-LGK-PEN almost back to back (leaving within 15-20 minutes of each other)?

Maybe dish out one of 'snack box's upon boarding - feel free to 'dine' upon that anytime during ensuing 18-40 minutes :)

Sure. The average flying time on AK is ~18 mins for PEN-LGK and slightly longer for LGK-PEN (~20 mins) and QR's flight is blocked at 40 mins. You can dine either 30s or 45s later.

I think QR has a service on all their flights no matter how short it is, but I think this is their shortest flight (coming in at 129km or 80miles, compared to KUL-SIN at 296km / 184miles)

Excellent. I think I'll have the soup, mezze and dessert shortly after takeoff, have a browse through the IFE selection, then a fruit plate to refresh myself after a minute's nap.

Qatar Airways adds Langkawi service from October 2019

Qatar Airways last week opened reservation for its planned service to Langkawi, announced earlier this year. The oneWorld carrier will initially extend existing Doha – Penang service to Langkawi starting 15OCT19, 4 times a week with Airbus A330-200. From 27OCT19, service will be operated by Boeing 787-8, while increasing frequency to 5 weekly.

QR866 DOH0155 – 1420PEN1540 – 1620LGK 788 x13

QR867 LGK1825 – 1905PEN2025 – 2330DOH 788 x13

Source : www.routesonline.com

Edited by kandiah k

Qatar Airways will serve Langkawi 4/7 from oct 15. as an extension of its Penang service.

Initially served by A330-200 they will switch to B787-800 from oct 27.

Planned schedule:

QR866 DOH0155 – 1420PEN1540 – 1620LGK 788 x13
QR867 LGK1825 – 1905PEN2025 – 2330DOH 788 x13

I don´t know if they have traffic rights for the PEN-LGK sector. So, not sure if one can book it - I have doubts because it is a domestic sector wholly within Malaysia ...

Edited by Juergen Witte

Qatar Airways will serve Langkawi 4/7 from oct 15. as an extension of its Penang service.

Planned schedule:

QR866 DOH0155 1420PEN1540 1620LGK 788 x13

QR867 LGK1825 1905PEN2025 2330DOH 788 x13

I don´t know if they have traffic rights for the PEN-LGK sector. So, not sure if one can book it - I have doubts because it is a domestic sector wholly within Malaysia ...

Qr is unlikely keen on pen-lgk revenue. If there is domestic pax, lgk pax may need to clear immigration at pen.

If these sectors are operate by mab, almost certain would become a triangular route.

Planned schedule:

QR866 DOH0155 1420PEN1540 1620LGK 788 x13

QR867 LGK1825 1905PEN2025 2330DOH 788 x13

On PEN-LGK only tickets, the typical cabotage policy in Msia (and in many other countries too) will prevent that from happening.

Sign in to follow this