MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andy

B737 CLASSIC VS 737 NG

I am finding out how to differentiate between the 73 classic and 73 NG? does any one have an idea how do you differentiate this two aircrafts?

In the cockpit, it will be very obvious.

Outside, can look for eyebrows and blended wingtips, but that is not conclusive.

Personally...i find the tail the most obvious tell tale...especially where the tail segment meets the fuselage.

I think the CFM engines are quite different on 737NG than the -300, -400 and -500 classics. Observe the engine mounts too - round end for NGs and square end for classics.

Edited by S V Choong

the main differences are;

1- cockpit environments;737classic has ols type CRT displays. FMC is either. Also Engines indicators are traditional even be digital. 737NG has fully bigger display units which include EICAS, also FMC and some of aviaonic are newest one. Overhead panel has some of little differences in NG as digital indicators.

2- Fuselage, wings, winglets are difference in NG; longer fuselage, new design wings and winglets (optional) for fuel effiency.

3-Engines are newest in NG as type and shape; you can see shape difference when look from opposite. Classic's engine shapes loooks smooth triangle but NG's new CFM's looks much more circle.

4-interior design has little difference with, insde ceiling coverage, luggage covers, lights ,LCD information displays on overhead in each 3 or 4 rows, newest type attentands calls, lamps buttons. NGs has no aircondition direction knob anymore for each passanger on overhead. But you remember , classics had.

5-.......

the main differences are;

1- cockpit environments;737classic has ols type CRT displays. FMC is either. Also Engines indicators are traditional even be digital. 737NG has fully bigger display units which include EICAS, also FMC and some of aviaonic are newest one. Overhead panel has some of little differences in NG as digital indicators.

On the B737 i don't think they call the center display EICAS, if i am not mistaken they call it engine flight instrument system(EFIS).

Interesting topics..if u boarded the B737NG..u will notice an immediate difference on the interrior cabin layout :rolleyes:

Sorry, can you please elaborate more? I didn't have any chance to board any NG yet...

I just compare a model of 737-400 and 737-800 to see the difference. i can spot that:

737-800 has longer wings then 737-400

737-800 has taller tail fin then 737-400

737-800 main landing gear is a bit taller then 737-400

737-800 engine join is blended to the wing, 737-400 engine join is visible

737-800 tail fin has a smoother edge then 737-400

fuselage diameter is the same

fuselage length is depend on series

windshield eyebrow was removed in 2005 staring with Southwest 737-700

Azuddin

Andy you are right, my mistakes, not EICAS, all EFIS displays (PFDx2 NDX2 EFISx2) ; 5 on dashboard+1 on pedestal panel.

:yahoo:

Sorry, can you please elaborate more? I didn't have any chance to board any NG yet...

I had just flown with the Easyjet Boeing 737-700 last week and from my observation, the interior ceiling as well as the overhead compartment is more aerodynamic than the conventional B737 classic design. Besides that, the wing of the Boeing 737NG is longer compare to the B737 Classic. :rolleyes:

B737-3/4/5 using CFM56-3 series eng which using PMC while B737-6/7/8/9 using CFM56-7 series eng which using EEC. Both engine pylons are also different between classic and NG. One is box looked and one is curve looked. Classic using trailing edge triple slotted flap and total of 10 spoilers while NG using trailing edge double slotted flaps and with total of 12 spoilers. They are slight different in the system such as the hydraulic system in term of components position. But overall, the classic and ng have the similar system even their flight control system also using purely only cable. :huh:

the wings and flaps. Landing light position.

Wingroot (where the landinglights are) on NG is more 'curby' than on the old ones...

Older NG 737's still have the 'eyebrows'...winglets are an option and not standard...

Wingroot (where the landinglights are) on NG is more 'curby' than on the old ones...

Older NG 737's still have the 'eyebrows'...winglets are an option and not standard...

Retractable Landing: (NG only) Replaces the outboard landing lights on the earlier series. These are located on the fuselage just beneath the ram air intakes. The word is that they may be being moved back to their original position on the flap track faring due to excessive stone damage.

Note Use of both of these lights should be avoided at speeds above 250kts due to excessive air loads on their hinges.

Retractable landing light - NG

Edited by Andy

It is different interior wise. I believe it is modelled after the 777 interior.

Sign in to follow this