MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
I. Wong

Fly Asian Xpress (FAX)

Press Releases

30 May 2006

FAX (Fly Asia Express) to harness new business and tourism potentials for Turbo Prop operations

Sepang – AirAsia today announced plans to subcontract operations of the turbo prop services (rural air services) to a new airline, FAX (Fly Asian Xpress). FAX is presently obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals to commence operations on 1st August 2006, following domestic rationalisation and Malaysia Airlines’ (MAS) withdrawal from these routes.

In tandem with the Government’s decision, AirAsia would transfer the day-to-day operations of the Fokker 50s and Twin Otters services to FAX and monitor the performance of this new setup.

Following the transfer, the previously coined rural air services operations will be reclassified as Turbo Prop operations. The new company will operate 6 Fokker 50s and 5 Twin Otters. Flights will commence from 1st August 2006.

Details of the routes will be published by 30th June 2006. All seats will be made available for purchase from 1st July 2006 via all existing outlets and ticketing agents, and through AirAsia’s distribution channels comprising its website (www.airasia.com), Call Centres at 1 300 88 99 33 or 03 8660 4343, airport sales counters and sales offices nationwide.

AirAsia is presently analyzing the costs and benefits of operating flights to routes such as Kuala Lumpur – Ipoh, and Penang – Langkawi. Ultimately, the aim is to reduce losses and lessen subsidies borne by the Government.

“The new management of the Turbo Prop operations will be working closely with local state tourism authorities to explore the untapped tourism potential of some of the destinations served such as Mulu and Lahad Datu, which is the entry point to pristine rainforest wonders like the Danum Valley. In addition to fulfilling its public services, the Turbo Prop operations aim to contribute towards the growth of tourism and the economy.â€

Mohamed Zahari, General Manager, Fly Asia Xpress (FAX)

source: http://www.airasia.com/site/en/pressReleas...ede110-d9a22102

Perhaps someone should direct AirAsia's attention to our thread on that hypothetical airline. :D

FAX-I like the name :good:

AK still analysize the route in term of cutting cost etc. There are not much cost they can cut, but if AK willing to cut most services and lessen the pilots salary, get lower airport fee and discount on fuel, that will drop the fare tremendously :)

Nice to hear the MH prop stay but doubt it will last that long, Brazillian has proposal to do sooner to AK :rolleyes:

Yea~~ yea~~!! They keep the F50!! They keep the F50!! I'm so happy~~ I'm so happy~~ !!

I wonder they ops in T2 or T1 at BKI? And does F50s they take over is MH's?

It would be interesting to see F50 and twintwotter in AK colors hehe... My Oly can't wait for it :clapping:

I would like to say Air Asia Group will be a tiger for the coming few years, since it grow so fast healthly. :)

Agree,Sneeze.It will,in the future.

It would be interesting to see F50 and twintwotter in AK colors hehe... My Oly can't wait for it :clapping:

You're right...Twin Otter are the main vein of the RAS.When the MH announce they will no longer operate RAS,Sarawak Tourism Board was so worried that it will affect the tourists percentage in Sarawak,especially in Mulu and Bario.Glad to hear AK will take over the F50s and Twin Otters.

AirAsia is presently analyzing the costs and benefits of operating flights to routes such as Kuala Lumpur – Ipoh, and Penang – Langkawi.

Yeah! Interesting!

Will the FAX's F50 or Otter be ex-MH's? :pardon:

Excellent news: at least, the Twinotters will keep flying around :good: ;)

Keith, I say we call Tony and talk business :p

FYI, one Fokker 50 (either MGK, or MGD) will be heading downunder as VH-FNE for XR. Although she won't be delivered in full scheme (all that is missing will be the fin logo) she will be conducting a series of acceptance flights around August, before making her journey to PER, with only 1 stop!! (watch out DPS!)

Gibby

Quick search through AK website:

Kuching to Sibu vv.

2 B733 flights daily

Johor Bahru to Sibu vv.

1 B733 flights daily

which mean that people can now travel between Sibu and Kuching with cheaper fares, starting at RM9.99. Watch out MAS!

Edited by I. Wong

wow, cant belive i missed this thread till i saw the news in the papers few days ago.

Can't wait for the livery =D

Yay. At least my beloved F5o and DHT will stay :yahoo:

How about the pilots of MH F50 and DHT? Will they move to this new airline?

IPH - JHB goes daily starting 2nd July

Really :blink: That's a bloody heck of a news :blink: Hope more routes connecting the whole city in Malaysia :good:

new airline for us here :yahoo: ..and yeah..new safety cards to add to my collection :good:

new airline for us here :yahoo: ..and yeah..new safety cards to add to my collection :good:

safety cards? as in the safety instruction card behind the seats? hahahahhahhaha unique hobby.

A thought just crossed my mind - this safety card collection hobby can be considered dangerous and unfair to the next passenger occupying the same seat. This view is of course largely academic - how often have we actually paid any attention to those cards, let alone study them (be honest :D )

safety cards? as in the safety instruction card behind the seats? hahahahhahhaha unique hobby.

Not unique at all, it's actually quite popular - just try do a search on ebay ! :blink:

A thought just crossed my mind - this safety card collection hobby can be considered dangerous and unfair to the next passenger occupying the same seat. This view is of course largely academic - how often have we actually paid any attention to those cards, let alone study them (be honest :D )

Not unique at all, it's actually quite popular - just try do a search on ebay ! :blink:

wow.... dint know that. for me i usually just have a short look at it ( if its a new plane ) and then never look at it again.

wow.... dint know that. for me i usually just have a short look at it ( if its a new plane ) and then never look at it again.

A hobby for someone will looks funny for those who are not into it. I used to think that plane spotting is a funny hobby. I still do, for those non-photography type.

As for safety card, I know a guy who has Lufthansa A340-600 safety cards in the seat pocket of his Korean sedan. :drinks: But then again, why not?

Back to the topic. Wonder who will fly the new airlines Fokkers and Twin Otters. They will have to resolve a lot of things in the next 2 months. As of now, I'm busy collecting photos of MH's Fokkers and DHC6s. Safety cards anyone?

A hobby for someone will looks funny for those who are not into it. I used to think that plane spotting is a funny hobby. I still do, for those non-photography type.

yeah i must agree with u, innitially i thought bird spoting was a waist of time untill i started viewing the pics taken and also going along with a friend of mind on his bird spotting trips, now im hooked.

Is FAX going to be providing tech and cabin crew? or is AK going to recruit a new set of crew for the prop planes?