MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ja Singh

KLIA improvements

Klia seems to be sliding lower and lower as years go past by on world airport ranking.What are some of the basic ideas that can be implemented for passengers to improve the services.

sadly at this moment it looks way more dated and worn and could do with a major facelift.Even Auckland international departure which is recently renovated beat it by miles.

When i was there i was desperately looking looking to carge my phone land side and approached help desk and asked where can i find seats with usb chargers and there we non on at land side wit a couple on air side,i was informed.Like changi gets their seats attached with USB from Malaysia s why cant Malaysia airport implement the same?

The toilets need to be redone big time as well.

what else/ideas can improve the airport services.

1) Place a gigantic teddy bear in the middle of the MTB

2) Convert the little patch of rainforest in the centre of the Satellite into a massive waterfall

3) Upholster the benches with Nappa leather

4) Turn the roof of the Satellite into a huge hibiscus garden to showcase our national pride.

5) Replace that wretched aerotrain system with a maglev rail line.

6) Quadruple the PSC so we can beat Singapore in taxes, too.

Any other ideas?

1) Place a gigantic teddy bear in the middle of the MTB

2) Convert the little patch of rainforest in the centre of the Satellite into a massive waterfall

3) Upholster the benches with Nappa leather

4) Turn the roof of the Satellite into a huge hibiscus garden to showcase our national pride.

5) Replace that wretched aerotrain system with a maglev rail line.

6) Quadruple the PSC so we can beat Singapore in taxes, too.

Any other ideas?

And place you on top of that gigantic teddy bear of

yours!then both of you can do inter terminal transfer on yr maglev and save half the PSC!

Edited by Ja Singh

My ideas would include the following :-

1) First, train the staff and bring them to a higher standard for international airport staff. Ensure regular audits in a year, carry out team building initiatives, reward them accordingly based on the SOP and KPI. Also regular training programmes to improve the level of services offered.

2) Rebrand KLIA to just KL International Airport; namely Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. The whole fuss about KLIA and KLIA2 is such a confusion to most people, a hassle and also a mouthful.

3) Have regular audits in all aspects of the international standards by international bodies and of course raise the benchmark for local audits such as CAAM and MAVCOM etc

4) Improve the toilets in the airport, the ones located at the SB and MTB are just appalling even as recent as two weeks ago, poor ventilation and its disgusting. Of course the cause of this is the user but the maintenance is another issue. They are still using cheap detergents that is not appealing and makes the fragrance combo an awful experience. Train the toilet captains to maintain a certain level of cleanliness.

5) Oh and the aerotrain needs an immediate revamp or a total overhaul. Till then, just have bus transfers between the terminals. Having a walking bridge or tunnel for KLIA will not be the solution, Malaysians usually don't want to walk and the buggy services are very limited for KLIA2. After all, the infrastructure for the aerotrain is already in place, just rectify the technical issues.

6) Improve parking facilities at the designated parking lots, why has L2 become a premium parking lot when it can be a pick up and go facility?

7) Open tender for the airport hotel operator as the quality has dropped tremendously since Pan Pacific left KUL grounds. It feels like a monopoly of the entire airport grounds by certain quarters.

Just an idea which may or may not be practical for KUL. Let's hope for the best in view of the uncertainty of Malaysia Airlines and the impact of the changes it may cost KUL.

My ideas would include the following :-

1) First, train the staff and bring them to a higher standard for international airport staff. Ensure regular audits in a year, carry out team building initiatives, reward them accordingly based on the SOP and KPI. Also regular training programmes to improve the level of services offered.

2) Rebrand KLIA to just KL International Airport; namely Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. The whole fuss about KLIA and KLIA2 is such a confusion to most people, a hassle and also a mouthful.

3) Have regular audits in all aspects of the international standards by international bodies and of course raise the benchmark for local audits such as CAAM and MAVCOM etc

4) Improve the toilets in the airport, the ones located at the SB and MTB are just appalling even as recent as two weeks ago, poor ventilation and its disgusting. Of course the cause of this is the user but the maintenance is another issue. They are still using cheap detergents that is not appealing and makes the fragrance combo an awful experience. Train the toilet captains to maintain a certain level of cleanliness.

5) Oh and the aerotrain needs an immediate revamp or a total overhaul. Till then, just have bus transfers between the terminals. Having a walking bridge or tunnel for KLIA will not be the solution, Malaysians usually don't want to walk and the buggy services are very limited for KLIA2. After all, the infrastructure for the aerotrain is already in place, just rectify the technical issues.

6) Improve parking facilities at the designated parking lots, why has L2 become a premium parking lot when it can be a pick up and go facility?

7) Open tender for the airport hotel operator as the quality has dropped tremendously since Pan Pacific left KUL grounds. It feels like a monopoly of the entire airport grounds by certain quarters.

Just an idea which may or may not be practical for KUL. Let's hope for the best in view of the uncertainty of Malaysia Airlines and the impact of the changes it may cost KUL.

youre so right about toilet improvement kandiah.I did complain/informed the staff there when i landed from akl that there were small flies/bugs/dont know species lol

in the toilet and wasn't a good look.He said he will take care of it.

sad to hear once a top airport hotel in the world going on a downward spiral, fully agreed they should allow a chain like accor hotels but at the standard of novotel or pullman but not ibis to manage it.

they def need to replace the wobbling aerotrain too.Or at very least put some dampers with mods for it to be a smoother ride.

youre so right about toilet improvement kandiah.I did complain/informed the staff there when i landed from akl that there were small flies/bugs/dont know species lol

in the toilet and wasn't a good look.He said he will take care of it.

sad to hear once a top airport hotel in the world going on a downward spiral, fully agreed they should allow a chain like accor hotels but at the standard of novotel or pullman but not ibis to manage it.

they def need to replace the wobbling aerotrain too.Or at very least put some dampers with mods for it to be a smoother ride.

Hotel owner needs to pay loyalty, management fees, etc to use chain/brand hotel and submitted to their requirements. Mahb terminated pan Pacific and thought they could manage but failed to realize mahb's indiscipline/relax culture eventually overwhelmed hotel management.

I was at Gate C12 last week taking flight to Taipei. The renovated toilet there looks good, just one complain: the water pressure for the wash basin is too strong, causing water to splash out all over the place as the basin is very shallow. This makes the entire area dirty again.

1. Just fix the frigging aerotrain.

2. The lift at the arrival level 3 are too congested. Anoying to find able bodied human hogging the elevators. Man the elevator to make sure only people with serious luggage load and family with strollers get the priority to board.

KUL t1 pax count is getting towards design capacity and mahb extended arrival duty free shop i.e reduce passage way from immigration to baggage reclaim area.

Friends shared Jewel of Changi photo and IG stories. Jaw dropping especially the waterfall, with aerotrain crossing beside it, looks like scenes from Jurassic World.

Changi is in its class now, not been HK or Seoul can compete with them.

Friends shared Jewel of Changi photo and IG stories. Jaw dropping especially the waterfall, with aerotrain crossing beside it, looks like scenes from Jurassic World.

Changi is in its class now, not been HK or Seoul can compete with them.

Makes KLIA look like 3rd world.lol

Not to be all doom and gloom but I find KLIA a very pleasant airport to transit/depart/arrive from with no checked baggage. There's almost hardly a queue for Malaysian citizens at the immigration, I can be from aircraft to landside in less than 10 minutes.

Edited by Walter Sim

For some reasons, Changi stands out than the rest because it's the only international airport in the country with exception of Seletar. All the resources and spending will go mainly to Changi airport. While for KLIA, MAHB has many airports scattered all around Malaysia. What people say, less quantity, more quality. It's hard for KLIA to catch out with the rest.

For some reasons, Changi stands out than the rest because it's the only international airport in the country with exception of Seletar. All the resources and spending will go mainly to Changi airport. While for KLIA, MAHB has many airports scattered all around Malaysia. What people say, less quantity, more quality. It's hard for KLIA to catch out with the rest.

That is constantly used as an excuse. The UK also has many airports, but LHR is also continually improving. If the govt. has the intention of making KLIA a premier airport, it can always make KLIA the responsibility of another GLC or private company. Then it will not be distracted.

I have also mentioned it before - although Changi is only one airport in Singapore, the company does manage more than just Changi. It is also an airport design and construction consultant and also manages some other airports overseas.

Also remember, KLIA was a premier airport when it was first opened but it did not improve (or even maintain) its level of excellence. So it is possible to be good, but it would appear that the tidak apa attitude is more prevalent these days.

Edited by flee

If a company has strong discipline and well placed system, service quality won't drop with quantity e.g McDonald's, coca cola, Shangri la hotel, four seasons hotel, etc.

Malaysians are excellent in finding excuses than fixing issue.

Newly renovated toilet on departure level land side, too strong water pressure is splashing water all over the toilet i.e constantly wet.

Right. Sure.

And the whole of South Korea only has Incheon airport.

I think one (better) measure is to compare the airport taxes in USD terms for all the various airports multiplied by the pax throughput. This gives you a back of the envelope estimate of how much one type of resources the manager has had.

That is constantly used as an excuse. The UK also has many airports, but LHR is also continually improving. If the govt. has the intention of making KLIA a premier airport, it can always make KLIA the responsibility of another GLC or private company. Then it will not be distracted.

I have also mentioned it before - although Changi is only one airport in Singapore, the company does manage more than just Changi. It is also an airport design and construction consultant and also manages some other airports overseas.

Also remember, KLIA was a premier airport when it was first opened but it did not improve (or even maintain) its level of excellence. So it is possible to be good, but it would appear that the tidak apa attitude is more prevalent these days.

LHR is no benchmark to follow. Unless, of course, you like astronomical taxes and terrible value.

And let's not delude ourselves into thinking KLIA can be a "premier" airport. It never was and is unlikely to be one anytime soon. The unfortunate fact remains - KUL doesn't have the traffic, yields and resources to compete with SIN. Unless the government is going to tax the living daylight out of each and every traveller (something which you yourself are an opponent of), we can stop dreaming about having the world's largest man-made waterfall in the region's "premier" aviation hub. What some people are forgetting is Jewel Changi is also intended to be a destination for Singaporeans. How many people live within a reasonable radius of KLIA to actually consider going there just for fun?

Sure, certain things can be improved without breaking the bank, like toilets and managing efficiency, but if we're going to turn the fantasies of some into reality, are we ready to pay the price?

I do agree that LHR has vastly improve compared to their previous self's.I took qatar airways from one of the terminals and was not expecting what I saw,great improvement!.Was four months back tho during X mas.

KLIA was one of the top 5 sometime back now nowhere to be seen on top 10 even.

I agree any "excuses excuses".

The airport fan in me always wants KLIA to have its own waterfall and dome and whatnot and be the most bombastic airport out there.

While the airport professional in me can only smile while reading comments on MW :)

LHR is no benchmark to follow. Unless, of course, you like astronomical taxes and terrible value.

And let's not delude ourselves into thinking KLIA can be a "premier" airport. It never was and is unlikely to be one anytime soon. The unfortunate fact remains - KUL doesn't have the traffic, yields and resources to compete with SIN. Unless the government is going to tax the living daylight out of each and every traveller (something which you yourself are an opponent of), we can stop dreaming about having the world's largest man-made waterfall in the region's "premier" aviation hub. What some people are forgetting is Jewel Changi is also intended to be a destination for Singaporeans. How many people live within a reasonable radius of KLIA to actually consider going there just for fun?

Sure, certain things can be improved without breaking the bank, like toilets and managing efficiency, but if we're going to turn the fantasies of some into reality, are we ready to pay the price?

Indeed. One can dream big but if one isn't willing to pay for the dream to become a reality, then one should stop dreaming.

The airport fan in me always wants KLIA to have its own waterfall and dome and whatnot and be the most bombastic airport out there.

While the airport professional in me can only smile while reading comments on MW :)

:rofl:

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

LHR is probably an excellent example because it has to keep reinventing itself in view of the many many challenges it faced. They just faced them and solved the many and varied problems rather than just give excuses. As many here have said (about KLIA), the charges are not entirely in its control as there is government intervention in determining its quantum.

Contrary to your interpretation of my stand, I am not averse to paying higher airport charges. I am more a value for money person - I will pay if I can see the quality and the value of the product.

I do use Changi (and therefore pay their charges) and only really care about their user friendliness. For me, quick and efficient passenger processing, comfortable waiting areas and fuss free CIQ is worth more than any jewel or swimming pool at an airport.

Coming back to KLIA, there is no harm in aspiring to be a premier airport in Malaysia. Since the other airports are of insufficient standard to achieve this, KLIA is the best candidate. The thing about KLIA is that it started on a high and has been going downhill since. What is wrong with arresting that trend and try to get back to that high again? Admitting defeat even before trying to fix the problems is so pathetic!

Edited by flee

Sign in to follow this