MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azuddin

Boeing 777 Folding wings feature,

I read a few article and it says that some Boeing 777 has a folding wings feature. How many airline out there actually have this feature?

I believe: NONE

Initially they thought it would be a great idea to get people to buy the 777s such that they could park them in a 767 bay... but the 777 has been so successful, that most airports have upgraded to cater for them. Beautiful aircraft, but silly feature.

I remember when flying FS9, most of Meljet 772 has the feature.

that's because flight-sim lah....

show show only, but in reality, no one wants :)

Lets look at this from a logical point of view...

If the wings were to be able to fold, how much of the wing would have to? If its a significant amount...wouldnt that mean that the fuel tanks would also have to fold up? Or possibly not even be positioned there?

If the fuel tanks are to be folded up as well...a large amount of hydraulic pressure is required to hold it up...can the aircraft itself generate and mantain such a high pressure for a prolonged time?

All in all..i agree with sandeep..beautiful plane..but silly feature to advertise in the first place.

mmm, i believe the Surge tanks would have been there... but imagine the complications if the wings were stuck in the folded position.... unnecessary delay! and imagine having to use flexible tubing for fuel vent lines, electrical wiring and not to mention hydraulic and electircal lines for the flight controls...

Boeing were nervous about the 777 programme.. it was an all new plane, with new systems Boeing had never worked with and furthermore it was the first real technological marvel of 21st century aviation. Remember, Boeing was a late comer in this category of aircraft having only decided to develop the T7 after Airbus and McD (hehe) went ahead with their A330/340 and MD11/12 designs... So Boeing through marketing tricks left right and centre.. this was one.. one that would never see the light of day.

Whether the 777 has folding wing or not, it is a really successful aircraft and it's a beauty too :)

And something tells me, SV, that you'll be a 787 fan too! hehehe

If it ain't BOEING, I ain't GOING!

And something tells me, SV, that you'll be a 787 fan too! hehehe

Already am, since the day the 787 concept was born. Nice guess :)

747-8 too, nice....

If it ain't BOEING, I ain't GOING!

That's the way

Well, we all seem to be Boeing people here, but Airbus ain't too shabby! I like the A320-plenty! in fact, I think they should rename it the A3-Plenty! For its size, it's got heaps of features and has the performance of a racehorse on Melbourne Cup day! OUTSTANDING!

I have no idea how many airlines ordered T7 with that feature, but for you knowledge, I read about this feature in where you know? A PMR Geography reference book back in 1999! Side note: its silly to talk about T7 in schools. The author must have thought it could market the book better, like Boeing did for its T7 program. The book turned out pretty popular among my peers that time... :D

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

True, I'm also a big Boeing fan and not really an Airbus fan, but I'm impress with A340-600. I'm more into long jets rather then big jets.

I have no idea how many airlines ordered T7 with that feature, but for you knowledge, I read about this feature in where you know? A PMR Geography reference book back in 1999! Side note: its silly to talk about T7 in schools. The author must have thought it could market the book better, like Boeing did for its T7 program. The book turned out pretty popular among my peers that time... :D

Why do they have aviation in Geography? Well, it's connected in terms of travelling, but what does the feature of a T7 has to do with Geography?? More so we're talking about the folded wing feature here!!

:help: :blink:

Me a Boeing fan myself... The T7 has stolen my heart when when it appeared on newspapers in 1997 as it touched Malaysian soil after the record-breaking flight...

Those in line - 787 Dreamliner and 747-8 - are surely set to melt the hearts of men and women of all age, of all tribes... :D

But those are not to say that Airbus doesn't make nice planes... I concur with Azuddin that the A340-600 looks great, and I believe the A350 looks good also. But for the A380, you can rythm with A3**** (you fill in the stars)...

well, the 777 is the worlds most popular aircraft. I mean, look, it even stole limelight from the A380 at the paris airshow and when the 777-240LR went on its world tour, it made headline news ahead of the A380s mounting problems.

So sad to see Alan Mulally (father of the 777) leaving Boeing after 30 years to work with Ford! Wish him the best!

Me a Boeing fan myself... The T7 has stolen my heart when when it appeared on newspapers in 1997 as it touched Malaysian soil after the record-breaking flight...

oh yeah, to date, if the 747 is the queen of the sky, The 777 is the princess.

oh yeah, to date, if the 747 is the queen of the sky, The 777 is the princess.

Negative, the T777 is the PRINCE! the princess is the new 787 and the king is the 748!

Negative, the T777 is the PRINCE! the princess is the new 787 and the king is the 748!

yeah, right you are. 777 has a manly look.

well, the 777 is the worlds most popular aircraft. I mean, look, it even stole limelight from the A380 at the paris airshow and when the 777-240LR went on its world tour, it made headline news ahead of the A380s mounting problems.

All because the 777 looks so so so great! Love to see a 777 coming in for landing! "The Eagle has landed," to borrow a phrase from Neil Armstrong.

yeah, right you are. 777 has a manly look.

If that's so, how would you rate the 757 ? :p

All because the 777 looks so so so great! Love to see a 777 coming in for landing! "The Eagle has landed," to borrow a phrase from Neil Armstrong.

777 is one of my spotting highlight at IAH. In a day, we could see Air France, British Airways, and lots of CO and some PIA. IF possible, we sometimes could get 2 BA in a day, this happen quiet often during weekend. There's one time where I saw 3 BA 777 at IAH, it was summer 2004 where there was a BA 777 has to turn back to IAH shortly after take off when an explosion happen to one of the engine and cause it to flame. The next day, I say one BA 777 at the maintenance area with one of the engine removed and 2 BA 777 at the terminal, one is for regualar flight and one more for the strunded pax.

IPB Image

Ever since early 2006, Air France now operating 777-300ER to IAH.

If that's so, how would you rate the 757 ? :p

I once uploaded this pix to Myaviation.net and say it's a line up of Papa Boeing, Mama Boeing and Baby Boeing.

IPB Image

myaviation.net

I don't know how to rate the 757 nowadays, but i'm still thinking that it should belong in female category.

Edited by Azuddin

Sign in to follow this