MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

Malaysia Airlines Flight 684

I realise this may be contentious.

Is it true that the flight crew escaped before the passengers did? Can anyone say point in Google Earth where exactly the plane crashed?

What are your memories of this incident?

I heard conversations in the police radio network then that they (the police) were confused of the airline involved. At one time, they thought it was SIA, then someone mentioned MAS, then SIA pulak. I also heard sounds of sirens in the background. I had switched my radio on immediately after breaking news on TV of an accident at Subang airport.

At that time, their brodcast can be heard using FM radio with frequency below 88. I had a Sony Walkman set going down to 76, amazingly sold in Malaysia which normally sells sets with frequency above 88.

Edited by Rozhan

The incident as described by airdisaster.com:

Flight MH684 took off from Singapore at 18.53h on 18 December 1983 for a flight to Kuala Lumpur. Approaching Kuala Lumpur, the aircraft was cleared for an ILS runway 15 approach. At 19.20h, the runway 15 RVR was 450m in heavy rain showers.

Though below the company minimum of 800m, the captain elected to continue the approach, hoping to see the runway. The captain took over control from the first officer, shortly before entering an area of heavy rainshowers. Immediately after selecting the windscreen wipers 'on', the radio altimeter sounded.

Less then 30secs later, the Airbus contacted some trees 2km short of the runway and the right main landing gear struck the ground and continued for 436m. The aircraft then lifted off for 36m before striking a stream embankment and it slid for 109m before coming to rest, 1200m short of the runway. The landing gear and both engines were torn off and a fire erupted, destroying the cabin and cockpit roof.

All 247 onboard the Airbus A300B4-120 survived.

A friend of mine who was MAS engineer travelling as a passenger on board the ill fated 684, was one of those who assisted the passengers to safety. He was one of the last to leave the burning wreckage.

He was an avid diver and swimmer. He is strong as an ox and he used to run the marathon. He used to playfully challenge us to a arm wrestle him.

God did not take him whilst indulging in his dangerous pastime nor in the crash. He passed away some years ago from a heart attack whilst at work.

Let what happen be remembered well where there was no loss in life, and may he rest in peace.

Aircraft in question was OY-KAA (IIRC!) leased from Scandinavian Airlines (SAS). It was also a PW engined A300B4-120 as opposed to MAS' GE powered A300B4-203s

Edited by S V Choong

Sign in to follow this