MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
kandiah k

Pelangi Air

I can recall seeing a Pelangi Fokker 50 at Malacca airport. I like the livery. I think I've got a timetable lying around somewhere.

Does anyone remember anything about Pelangi Air ?

Yeah, flew on their F50s a few times.

They started with Dornier 228s, with a colour scheme not unlike today's Bangkok Airways.

Their later livery looked nice, with an aerodynamic version of a hibiscus as a logo.

And Pelangi had plans to upgrade to the Dash 8. Not sure if they had actually ordered some, but they did print some timetables with Dash 8s on the covers.

The problem with Pelangi was although it was an MH affiliate (subsidiary perhaps?), it had quite a number of shareholders such as state agencies (Terengganu etc), and everybody wanted to have a say in which direction it should be heading. Although MH was in the driver's seat, it was not able to do much with 9P given so many stakeholders. I understand that the poor airline was left to die and the company was liquidated, with the Asian crisis of '97 becoming a good enough reason to do so. It could have been what FY (the ATR72 services) is today.

Also, for a short while, it had operated/ chartered a F28 (together with a local travel agent) to operate flights to Kerteh and/or TGG (amongst others) as well. Cant remember if the F28 was actually painted in 9P colours, but it wasnt just to support the oil&gas folks to Terengganu as u & I could have booked flights on it. Had wanted to fly on the 9P F28 just for the fun of it, but never did manage to find the dates to do so, hence now regreting it.

Pelangi Airways was a regional airline of Malaysia based at Kuala Lumpur Subang Airport, covering secondary routes within Peninsular Malaysia and international services to Sumatra, Indonesia.

Like what Musrif had stated, Pelangi (9P) started in 1987 with Dornier 228 shuttling passengers and holiday makers to secondary cities in Peninsula Malaysia. Their secondary cities is so much more extensive than Berjaya Air + Fireflyz nowadays.

They did move ahead with purchase of Dash 8. The Dash 8-311Q was painted in full Pelangi livery,registered 9M-PGC and was to be delivered in 1997. However somehow the delivery didn't proceed. The Dash 8 went to Brymon Airwways of UK, then to BA Express then now with Air Tanzania. Would be a beauty should the delivery materialised.

During its heyday, Pelangi Air leased 2 Fokker 50 from Malaysia Airlines. 9M-MGJ and 9M-MGK if I am not mistaken. It was during 94 till 97. The two leased F-50s were oprated alongside with their own two F-50s (9M-MEQ and 9M-MER).

Following the collapse of Pelangi Air in 2001, 9M-MEQ was left derelict in Johor Bahru Sultan Ismail International Airport and 9M-MER at Subang Airport. Both were scrapped in early 2006.

In early 2002, there were reports that Pelangi Air intends to restart with one or two ATR42. However, it didn't materialised. Should Pelangi Air still exist today, it would be more convenient for folks to move from Peninsula Malaysia to Sumatera vv as most secondary cities on both side were covered extensively. And most probably it will operate from Subang Airport.

Since we are on historical airlines based in Malaysia, how many of us still remember SEAGA Airlines, Mofaz Air, AeroMalaysiana and Ked- Air?

A walk down memory lane.....I suggest everyone to pick up this month's KLifestyle Magazine. They have an article of Malaysian Aviation in old days....:)

Edited by JuliusWong

Hey I just realised the old AirAsia and Pelangi had one thing in common; blue and green corporate colors, different shades though.

Alor Setar - Langkawi must have been a short flight, and Taman Negara! What a gem this little airline is, and why is there a Twin Otter on the timetable? They didn't operate that airplane did they?

What a gem this little airline is, and why is there a Twin Otter on the timetable? They didn't operate that airplane did they?

Twotters of Pelangi Air :)

pelangitwinotter.jpg

Well I'd be darned! Pelangi network was really extensive back in the day. I assume the Twotters were leased from MH? And then returned to MH?

Flew on their Twotters to Tioman from Subang, and back to Subang on their Dornier,

and used to fly couple of times on their F50 to Kerteh...

My former office was next to their HQ in Shah Alam...

So I just popped into their office to purchase tickets... :)

9M-PEG current status

PK-NVC De Havilland DHC-6-300 Twin Otter 626 PT6A-27 Merpati Nusantara 1979

w/o 8/2/09 42km North of Oskibil Airport, Indonesia OKL while on approach

9M-BMM rg Boskym Udara

9M-PEG

PH-SAY Schreiner Airways

N5467X

PH-SAY ff 5/30/79, dd 6/21/1979 Schreiner Airways

9M-PEH current status

YJ-RV9 De Havilland DHC-6-310 Twin Otter 694 PT6A-27 Air Vanuatu 1980

merged 9/04

YJ-RV9 dd 5/90 Vanair

9M-PEH lsd 12/87 Pelangi Airways

PH-STG opb Schreiner Petroleum Air Services

PH-STG dd 8/85 Schreiner Airways

G-BHXG ff 6/3/80, dd 7/18/1980 LoganAir

9M-PEH met its ultimate death when it crashed into sea near Port Vila (Vanuatu). See http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19990508-0

Since we are on historical airlines based in Malaysia, how many of us still remember SEAGA Airlines, Mofaz Air, AeroMalaysiana and Ked- Air?

A walk down memory lane.....I suggest everyone to pick up this month's KLifestyle Magazine. They have an article of Malaysian Aviation in old days....:)

Or how about Asia Pacific airways, operating Metroliners out of Simpang airport! Now that is a real city airport.

Or how about Asia Pacific airways, operating Metroliners out of Simpang airport! Now that is a real city airport.

Now it is called BERJAYA AIR

kindly visit BERJAYA AIR website for more history reading

Very appropriate to try to dig up history in view of the centenary of Malaysian Aviation. :)

My only memory of Pelangi was seeing them take off and land their Fokkers at Subang. Also saw the nice uniforms of their cabin crew while waiting for my flights at Subang...

Now it is called BERJAYA AIR

kindly visit BERJAYA AIR website for more history reading

I know Asia Pacific went out of business, but don't know if they morphed into Berjaya Air. I've seen them operating the Metroliners out of Subang airport, mostly carrying 3 or 4 pax per flight. The crew were mostly Kiwis, the FO will come out after a flight and rotate the props by hand to cool down the engines.

ATR 72 would have step its foot on Malaysia way long ago should Aero Malaysiana went ahead!

Thanks Dean and Kenneth for the pictures...A BLAST FROM THE PAST! :)

2 of never-delivered ATR-72 aircrafts of Aero Malaysiana

aeromalaysiana.jpg

aeromalaysiana2.jpg

Does these aircraft being transferred / sold to others since it is never delivered?