MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

Drones at Airports

Well, I can not say "they are wrong about if they apply a new regulations". They are right because of, new generations drones, hexacopters, quadrocopters are much more capability and many people use them personal/commercial in use about camera. Even smallers ones can be threat about airplanes safety.

Those drones/hexacopters or else must have serial number and registered by authority against possible conflicts. The users must get some responsibility about to use of them ( for personal privacy, etc)

I saw some of these being demo'ed at Hamley's (well known toy store at Regent St, London) recently

My thoughts then were

1) how manoeuverable and agile those things are

2) being marketed as toys, it's next to impossible to regulate/legislate ownership

I then resumed marvelling at the skill with which the promoters were flying the toy drones, indoor

Having read the bbc article above, my thoughts this morning

3) they can be deployed anywhere, anytime

4) these things have the potential of inflicting real harm at the two most crucial stages of a flight, take off and landing

5) does it take very much to scale up these things, built from scratch for a specific purpose ?

6) is there any ready counter measures available ?

I do hope it's just my imagination getting the better of me :)

There is no telling if the incident at Heathrow had any sinister element to it though

Believe quite a while back a local politician made a police report about people using flying drone to spy on him. CSL part 2, come on! :bad:

The news report below is even more worrying:

French government on high alert after unexplained drone flights over nuclear power stations

An epidemic of mysterious – and potentially disturbing – drone flights over French nuclear power stations remains unexplained despite the recent arrests of three young model aircraft enthusiasts in central France. The illegal flights by the tiny, pilotless helicopters, mostly at night, were initially dismissed as a nuisance. But a recent spate of five co-ordinated “visits” in one evening to nuclear reactors hundreds of miles apart has now placed the French government on high alert.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-government-on-high-alert-after-unexplained-drone-flights-over-nuclear-power-stations-9850138.html

This could comes in handy;

China unveils laser drone defence system

Agence France-Presse in Beijing

The Guardian, Monday 3 November 2014 09.32 GMT

China has developed a highly accurate laser weapon system that can shoot down light drones at low altitude, state media reported.

The machine has a 1.2-mile range and can bring down “various small aircraft” within five seconds of locating its target, the official Xinhua news agency said, citing a statement by the China Academy of Engineering Physics (CAEP), one of the developers.

Xinhua showed pictures of large metal boxes in camouflage paint and the wreckage of a small drone, some of it burning.

The laser system is expected to “play a key role in ensuring security during major events in urban areas” and address concerns on unlicensed mapping activities, according to Xinhua. It is effective up to a maximum altitude of 500 metres and against aircraft flying at up to 50 metres per second (112mph), Xinhua said.

I dont think it was re-opened after the first intrusion.

Anyway, it is up and running again with some backlog

It was reopened on Friday morning but closed around 17:00 after a confirmed sighting (I am curious how do they see a drone when it's dark out)

It was reopened on Friday morning but closed around 17:00 after a confirmed sighting (I am curious how do they see a drone when it's dark out)

The authority begins to use technology to detect drones after the first sighting. Sky News footage shows security vans with special monitoring setup parked near LGW runway to detect drones.

I dont think it was re-opened after the first intrusion.

It was reopened. 2 people very closed to me were in caught in the drama:

• A spy from the MH Rumour Department on her way to Salzburg. Her flight departed during the window when the airport was re-opened between the 2 attacks.
  • A work colleague on his way to Marrakesh. He was so upset he decided not to go.

Sign in to follow this