MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

Qatar Diplomatic Crisis - Airspace Closure, Qatar Airways

From FlightGlobal :

Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates (UAE) say they will close their airspace to Qatari aircraft, after cutting diplomatic ties with the Gulf state which they say is supporting terrorist groups.

Continue to read here :

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/middle-east-states-cut-ties-with-qatar-block-airspa-437889/

QR and DOH sure will severely impacted by the actions from the four Middle East nations.

This deteriorated pretty quickly.

Does this mean all QR flights into/out of DOH need be routed via Iranian airspace to her north ?

As of now at 1628 (doha time) there are still QR planes flying over Saudi/Bahrain/UAE airspace. U can see them in FR24. But all UAE airlines have suspends their flight to DOH. So far QR announced that only Saudi's destinations will be cancel.

Only one way in and out of Qatar permitted via Bahrain airspace.. the rest is closed. Going to be very tough for them and Iran airspace to coordinate such heavy traffic flow.

Classic case of pot calling kettle black.....and this happens in the holy month of Ramadhan. Hopefully it will be resolved without any bloodshed.

Only one way in and out of Qatar permitted via Bahrain airspace.. the rest is closed

Eh ? I thought Bahrain is the first one quoted above in banning Qatari flights ?

From that map posted by Alif A.F. above, Qatar looks very boxed in. I wonder why space between Iran and Qatar is under Bahraini control ?

The main point from the article:

"While the countries are free to refuse landing rights, it is unclear if Bahrain and the UAE can legally ban Qatar Airways from its airspace. As signatories to the International Air Services Transport Agreement , Bahrain the UAE can't legally shut off its airspace to fellow signatory Qatar."

Eh ? I thought Bahrain is the first one quoted above in banning Qatari flights ?

From that map posted by Alif A.F. above, Qatar looks very boxed in. I wonder why space between Iran and Qatar is under Bahraini control ?

Could be historical, as Bahrain was the pioneer in commercial aviation in the Gulf region (with Gulf Air) where QR, EK and EY were not exist yet.

As far as I know, any country has sovereignty over airspace above its territories. Bahrain can not block airspace over Qatar. If they do, they are declaring war. The picture above is based on "theoretically" basis.

Saudi Arabia revokes all Qatar Airways licences as row escalates

Doha has asked the ruler of Kuwait to mediate after coordinated move by Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the UAE and Egypt to isolate the kingdom over terror support allegations

Saudi Arabia has shut down all Qatar Airways offices in its kingdom and revoked the airline's licences, according to the state news agency, as the diplomatic row between the tiny kingdom and its Gulf neighbours widens.
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the UAE and Egypt cut off diplomatic ties with Doha in a coordinated move on Monday, followed by the internationally recognised governments of Yemen and Libya, and the Indian Ocean island nation The Maldives.
Land, air and sea travel have been severed, and Qatari citizens have been given 48 hours to leave the affected countries.
More:

Today's flight QR773 DOH-GRU-EZE took a long way to reach there. . It flew via Athens! DOH-ATH-GRU-EZE

Flying to Europe or US would take longer time as they won't be allowed in the certain airspace. This is a mess!

Currently they are flying over Jordan, along Iraq international borders to Iran then turn right into Qatar for inbound trip, outbound straight into Iran skies and turns left to Europe. African routes take all the way along eastern African shoreline turns onto Oman then Qatar. Things will get very interesting if Jordan and Oman get pressured into the pissing game!

KSA is a crack pot to be honest! Pot calling kettle black!! DT is not helping the situation at all with his jelly fingers with Twitter! All this a week after his visit to KSA and Israel.

Update 7/6/2017:

•Jordan strips Al-Jazeera from license, closes offices, lowers diplomatic representation
•Morocco cancels flights thru Doha
Great! Can't see how this peeing competition turns out! Who pees furthest!?! Someone is definitely benefiting from all these drama........
Edited by JuliusWong

Currently they are flying over Jordan, along Iraq international borders to Iran then turn right into Qatar for inbound trip, outbound straight into Iran skies and turns left to Europe. African routes take all the way along eastern African shoreline turns onto Oman then Qatar. Things will get very interesting if Jordan and Oman get pressured into the pissing game!

KSA is a crack pot to be honest! Pot calling kettle black!! DT is not helping the situation at all with his jelly fingers with Twitter! All this a week after his visit to KSA and Israel.

Update 7/6/2017:

•Jordan strips Al-Jazeera from license, closes offices, lowers diplomatic representation
•Morocco cancels flights thru Doha
Great! Can't see how this peeing competition turns out! Who pees furthest!?! Someone is definitely benefiting from all these drama........

Again all this tussle got the finger pointed to DT, conveniently.. haha

For flights to Africa, the airspace blockade easily add 1 to 2 hours of detour for QR.

I am sad that this whole thing happen especially in the region (I mean the gulf region) where until recently it was viewed as the beacon of socioeconomic stability surrounded by hostility.

QR CEO, Mr. Akbar Al Baker must be trying to contain this fallout over this for sure.

As the so-called leader of free world, at least he can do is to be diplomatically correct. If not, just forkeep quiet until the whole drama cools off. He went on Twitter rant stating end of terrorism has started with Qatar drama and this is after he signed USD100 billion deal with KSA. How would that do any good to the current situation?? Quite simply some party (not really necessary USA) just want to see ME burns down, it happens many times before.

For flights to Africa, the airspace blockade easily add 1 to 2 hours of detour for QR.

I am sad that this whole thing happen especially in the region (I mean the gulf region) where until recently it was viewed as the beacon of socioeconomic stability surrounded by hostility.

QR CEO, Mr. Akbar Al Baker must be trying to contain this fallout over this for sure.

Yes, but stability can only be seen at Qatar, one of the most progressive ME nations with Oman. Others are just _____________________. (find a word to complete the sentence).

As the so-called leader of free world, at least he can do is to be diplomatically correct. If not, just forkeep quiet until the whole drama cools off. He went on Twitter rant stating end of terrorism has started with Qatar drama and this is after he signed USD100 billion deal with KSA. How would that do any good to the current situation?? Quite simply some party (not really necessary USA) just want to see ME burns down, it happens many times before.

Yes, but stability can only be seen at Qatar, one of the most progressive ME nations with Oman. Others are just _____________________. (find a word to complete the sentence).

Most u.s misadventures in the m.e in contemporary history was mercenary works for ksa. The closer u.s administration to ksa, the more likely u.s involvement in the m.e.

Totally understandable taking into account the chap has already gone about declaring "me me me, it's me" :lol:

Qatar row: Trump claims credit for isolation

US President Donald Trump has claimed credit for the pressure being placed on Qatar by Gulf neighbours who accuse it of supporting terrorism in the region.

He said his recent visit to Saudi Arabia was "already paying off" and the development might mark the "beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism".

Most u.s misadventures in the m.e in contemporary history was mercenary works for ksa. The closer u.s administration to ksa, the more likely u.s involvement in the m.e.

Situation this time apparently very much muddled by strategic importance of a US military base at Qatar Edited by BC Tam

In sign of defying what is currently happening, Qatar Airways posted an update on their FB:

> Qatar Airways flights operations are as normal, three additional flights to carry stranded Qatar Airways passengers from KSA to Muscat
“Qatar Airways operations are running as normal with no disruptions to flights with the exception of those to the four countries Qatar Airways has been restricted to fly to. In response to these restrictions Qatar Airways has arranged for three charter flights departing Jeddah today at 16:00, 22:00, and 23:00 local time, to Muscat in order to assist all Qatar Airways passengers in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We encourage all Qatari passengers stranded to make their way to King Abdulaziz International Airport to avail of these three flights today, Tuesday 6th June. Full details of these charter flights are available on Qatar Airways Travel Alert page.
All affected passengers in Doha on route to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia have been assisted with alternative onward travel arrangements.
At Qatar Airways, our passengers remain our utmost priority and we will continue to ensure they have a seamless journey to their final destinations.”

At the same time, Kuwait Airways is helping Qatar in ferrying Qatari in KSA home.
> Qatar Airways organises a charter flight to carry its passengers from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) via Kuwait to Doha
Qatar Airways charter flight from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia via Kuwait to Doha
Please be advised that Qatar Airways has arranged for a further charter flight from Jeddah, KSA, to Kuwait on Wednesday 7th June 2017. A connecting Qatar Airways flight will then transport passengers onwards from Kuwait to Doha, Qatar.
Flight details are:
KU1782 departing Jeddah 19:15 local time (16:15 UTC 7th June).
Passengers are advised to report directly to King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah, three hours prior to the flight time above in order to be registered and accepted on to the flight.
Please check this page regularly for further flight updates.
For passengers with existing bookings, please call +974 4022 0072 or contact your nearest Qatar Airways office: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/worldwi ... es.htmlYou are now exiting Qatar Airways U.S website.Linked content may not meet accessibility guidelines
For further information and FAQs please visit: http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/en-u ... 369667-FAQ
Oman Air also assisted yesterday with three flights. JED-MUS-DOH.
Edited by JuliusWong

Interesting that you say Q is the one of the most progressive ME nation. In terms of? Have u ever lived in GCC?

Interesting that you say Q is the one of the most progressive ME nation. In terms of? Have u ever lived in GCC?

Not personally, but have few friends and relatives who have been moving around the region and they shared the good, bad and ugly of those ME countries. While Qatar is not perfect or progressive by the Western standard, but at least they're better of ME lot. Previous job required me to deal with people from around the region, Qatari is much easier to handle and understanding albeit challenging at times too. Not perfect but good enough to accommodate each others cultural sensitivity.

Sign in to follow this