MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan F.

KL Virtual Radar

Came across this site Virtual Radar for those people wishing to track/spot ADS-B equipped aircraft around the skies of KL. Someone (em...em) is feeding the site with aircraft data from KL. It's running with Google maps and has some degree of customisation. The tracks and info will disappear due to the receivers location especially those aircraft to the north of WMKF and those below about 4,000ft around KLIA.

I've tried using other web-sites and feeds like 'OpenATC' but they've been unreliable. Virtual Radar does take quite of bit of bandwidth though, even from a Streamyx line but its acceptable if you're not browsing anything else.

KL-RadarVirtuel.jpg

When I was looking at it this morning around 0100hrs, it seems that there were 3 A380's in Malaysian airspace. 2 belonging to SQ and 1 to Qantas. I was amazed!

Should get this ADS-B receiver. Place it at my bedroom window, connect to PC, and ... WALLAH! :D

is it possible to track flights to/from Kuching airport?

Sites like RadarVirtuel are reliant on people supporting them with streaming feeds from 'ADS-B receivers' such as the Kinetic Avionics SBS1 or AirNav RadarBox. Unless someone has one of these in Kuching and is 'feeding' then its not possible for others to see what's happening.

Thanks for sharing!

Anyone who is using the RadarVirtuel site for KL and is wondering why the plots just suddenly disappear. Well its mainly due to the receiver location (2nd floor condo near Mid-Valley...how I wish I was on the top floor). The attached pic and purple jagged outline shows a plot of distances received in the last few days and where the signals fade away and disappear.

SBS1plotting.jpg

Alan – there has been a few threads on this before. I used to be a fan of openatc but the site is pretty quiet these days. I have a couple of questions I shope you can answer:

How much was the receiver, which one did you get and did you get it locally?

What were the problems with openatc.com? I used to be a big fan of that site but its pretty quiet now.

You mentioned that there are several sites like http://www.radarvirtuel.com , are you able to share them ?

Alan – there has been a few threads on this before. I used to be a fan of openatc but the site is pretty quiet these days. I have a couple of questions I shope you can answer:

How much was the receiver, which one did you get and did you get it locally?

What were the problems with openatc.com? I used to be a big fan of that site but its pretty quiet now.

You mentioned that there are several sites like http://www.radarvirtuel.com , are you able to share them ?

In the past I've tried quite a few feeder sites like Planeplotter and OpenATC, both used to be OK, but then I think they got saturated with data and the systems slowed down and kept losing connections so it became unusable. Its only recently that a 'customised' Google map is being used by quite a number of sites (another one is flightradar24 plus the one listed earlier Schipol). RadarVirtuel only require the SBS1 TCP port to be open.

The receiver was not purchased locally (I've never seen anywhere selling them either) and I suspect they're technically illegal to use - but they're only a receiver. The latest SBS1 also have built airband receiver and expensive - over 400 Euro. Those boffins in certain government departments won't have a clue what ADS-B is anyway!

In the past I've tried quite a few feeder sites like Planeplotter and OpenATC, both used to be OK, but then I think they got saturated with data and the systems slowed down and kept losing connections so it became unusable. Its only recently that a 'customised' Google map is being used by quite a number of sites (another one is flightradar24 plus the one listed earlier Schipol). RadarVirtuel only require the SBS1 TCP port to be open.

The receiver was not purchased locally (I've never seen anywhere selling them either) and I suspect they're technically illegal to use - but they're only a receiver. The latest SBS1 also have built airband receiver and expensive - over 400 Euro. Those boffins in certain government departments won't have a clue what ADS-B is anyway!

Is this the one that you have? http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/sbs-1.php

Is this the one that you have? http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/sbs-1.php

It looks very familiar!! Early models don't have an ethernet network port (but can be added with a mod-kit) which makes it difficult for sharing data.

I've noticed that RadarVirtuel mask the lat/long when viewing. This KL Virtual Radarlink provides what I think is the best view for KL area and can be bookmarked, preventing the view defaulting to Europe when re-opening.

Was just about to post the same thing as you Johan. I'm wondering too what that Kari Express is up too!

Schiphol has the same thing

http://casper.frontier.nl/

But, it only worked for me once.

Works for me now... awesome graphics and infos (the aircraft, the flight, the company, origin and destinations)

wow....

...and .. you can replay previous days records.... awesome!!!