MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

This story was carried by Berita Harian, could not find English version. Basically confirming earlier discussion here about a new LCCT to be built on the present open-air carpark near KLIA MTB. Cost is RM1.7bil, to be ready 2010, can handle 25mil passengers per year.

Berita Harian

22/7/07

LCCT baru RM1.7b di KLIA siap 2010

Oleh Abdul Halim Yusoff

KUALA LUMPUR: Terminal baru syarikat penerbangan tambang murah (LCCT) serba canggih dan selesa bernilai RM1.7 bilion akan dibina di Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa KL (KLIA) bagi menggantikan LCCT sedia ada yang semakin sesak.

Sumber berkata, LCCT lengkap dan menawarkan kemudahan lebih selesa kepada penumpang dan syarikat penerbangan, akan dibina di atas tapak bersebelahan kawasan meletak kereta tidak berbumbung KLIA dan dijangka siap menjelang 2010.

http://www.bharian.com.my/m/BHarian/Sunday...092156/Article/

At that price quoted, certainly nothing 'low cost' about it !

I assume that it's not just the cost of building the terminal but the construction of apron, new taxiways etc. I just hope that it would be more like the LCC in BKI than the "warehouse" in use right now.

With the price quoted, we can expect a better LCCT, but dont forget the cossupted government? Part of the budget will be in the hands of the politician for sure. Well, theT2 is BKI is not name LCCT since it incorporates the features of a conventional airport and LCCT. :rolleyes:

new LCCT to be built on the present open-air carpark near KLIA MTB.

I'm sure we will witness overhead taxiway :drinks:

Edited by Seth K

that shows bad planning. foreigners will start to wonder why there are two LCC terminals in KLIA.

I think the idea is they will decomission the current LCCT (to be a cargo warehouse in future isn't it ?) once the spanking new terminal is ready - wouldn't make sense to have two LCCT's in operation at same time at KLIA.

Having said that, look at other airports elsewhere - LHR's T5 is operational soon (if not already) Would you consider that "bad planning" ?

BC Tam is 100% correct.

The present LCCT was designed to be a cargo warehouse in the future - hence it's appearance!

Perhaps for "AirAsiaCargo" :D (speculation)

I wonder what will happen though to the plans regarding establishing a rail link to the present LCCT?? Hopefully, they just loop the line to the new terminal they are building - makes mounds of sense that way!

..... regarding establishing a rail link to the present LCCT?? Hopefully, they just loop the line to the new terminal they are building - makes mounds of sense that way!

Is that rail link still on ? And when is it scheduled to be completed, a year or two ?

So, if the new LCCT is to be ready by 2010, would we get even a couple of year's worth from the money spent ? Same with expansion works to existing LCCT actually

Doubt if ERL service to a warehouse will prove useful somehow

MAB is owing the Government about RM840 million concession payment, contact pier is half empty most of the time, building a new LCCT for RM1.7 billion by 2010 and extending existing LCCT, all at the same time.

Find the numbers doesn’t add up. Guess like other projects in Malaysia, profit is made from constructing not from operating.

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articl...SIAAIRPORTS.XML

:drinks:

Good to read in papers today that proposed extension of rail line to existing LCCT at KLIA will now NOT proceed. Perhaps LCCT pax will have to bear with inconvenience a few more years, hopefully public transport can be improved upon in meantime

Is that the new LCC will be built somewhere neat to the current weather station?

From the plan i see from the newspaper, we can't spot at weather station anymore :(

It's really funny sometimes, seeing AK's strategies in order to get their things done. We should learn from them! lol! =@

Another NEW 'New LCCT'? What happened to the OLD 'New LCCT'? (i.e. the model on display in the departure area of the MTB)

Edited by Andi C

interesting...im waiting for the renderings now ;)

Wow....

Interesting. I hope the new LCCT design still reflects the main terminal building. I hate to see 'rojak' architecture under 1 master plan.

From the sketch provided in the news, new LCCT will form a line from MTB, Kompleks Bunga Raya.

Weather Station should still be there until they expend to future LCCT & Cargo.

Looks like current perimeter access road will be axed or altered for the new LCCT.

Still have time until June this year to spot in WS before they start work ? :rolleyes:

There is another article in The Star --> Business News section

Some extract from the article. :blink:

------------------------

“The design of the terminal, to be located 1.5km away from the main KLIA terminal, will have to be worked out but the construction of the new runway can start immediately.

“We are talking to the airlines and finalising the design,” he says, adding that the terminal can be used by both low-cost and full service carriers.....

------------------------

Seems like the road passing by weather station will be detoured to pass thru the new LCCT terminal. Wx station would probably be off limits by then??

But it does pose a headache here as there'll be 3 operational runways.. 14L/C/R and 32L/C/R??.. wow.. Imagining targetted traffic coming into any of these three runway would make each spotter driving like F1 speeds to nail it down..

Sorry bit OT..

Based on KLIA masterplan sketch on The Star newspaper today, a new Cargo Complex will be next to new propose LCCT... So under this 2B MYR project, does this project include the construction of new cargo complex?? Do KLIA need an expansion of cargo complex?? because once current LCCT operation will be move to new LCCT, the current LCCT can be converted to cargo complex kan..Do I correct??