MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
T Azahan

"Tony, today is MALAYSIA AIRLINES DAY!!"

"Alo Tony, there are 365 days in a year. You can have 364 days. But today, I appreciate your silence. Because I am so sorry that today is not for you. Because today is MALAYSIA AIRLINES day!" Hehehehehe........

29June2012_MNA_2a.jpg

Hi Tony, how are you in Indonesia?

Today here in KLIA is Malaysia Airlines Day...

29Jun12_0810mw.jpg

29Jun12_9M-MMB_0819mw.jpg

Probably one day, this kind of shot will be history..... :(

I have not been up here since 2007, i remember that the last time was with Gavin.

Jon wanted to cry when we reach the summit of obs hill, he even whatapps me, "mahu nangis (i wanna cry)...this where we belong to"...

IMG_9714.jpg

Azahan, was that you there? Just beside runway 32R!

IMG_9629.jpg

Over at Gate C27, everything's readied for the Big Momma's home coming event in her full livery

IMG_9631.jpg

While opposite Gate C27, TK is busy as well... shooting portrait :rofl:

IMG_9633.jpg

The must take pictures for this special event! :db:

Jon didn't even set a foot on the hill when he got up on the step ladder...!!!

he shoot every single plane that pass in front of his nose....with his Canon....yes everyone...he used CANON.

29Jun12_JonKong_0827.jpg

The palm trees branches were high, we were at the north end of the Hill, in front of the Guard House...a Big Guard house with Police.

The palm trees branches were high, we were at the north end of the Hill, in front of the Guard House...a Big Guard house with Police.

This time without any trouble from the Bulis?

What a day this has been for all who were participating in the celebrations marking the home-coming of MAS' first Airbus A380. After a quick dash to Toulouse, it return with a full livery and an updated cabin configuration. The sun co-operated and burnt the early morning fog away just as 9M-MNA landed.

For the two chirpy, cheerful and bright photographers on the Observation Hill, it was a grandstand view of the flypast and subsequent landing on runway 32R. This was perhaps why Jonathan wanted to shed tears of joy ... but for KS Ong, Ian Lim and me, we were on the dark-side and shedding tears of envy. When the historic touchdown finally came, this is all that we saw from the dark-side!

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-01Cr-MAS-A380-TDP.jpg

We had earlier also scouted around the ramp for our personal favourite spot to photograph the water-canon salute. This came to nought when at the last and crucial moment, bureaucracy dictated that we could not be at our chosen spot and it was insisted that we photograph from a spot looking directly into the early morning sun! Thankfully, a desperate compromise was brokered by Suhaimi from the MAS Social Media team and we each still managed to find a decent alternative that does not ruffle anybody's feathers. And so this is my take on the water-canon salute welcoming the new flagship of Malaysia Airlines.

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-03Cr-MAS-A380-TheSaluteBegins.jpg

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-04Cr-MAS-A380-WatercanonSalute.jpg

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-05Cr-MAS-A380-WatercanonSalute.jpg

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-06Cr-MAS-A380-WatercanonSalute.jpg

At this point during the water-canon salute, the pilots of a MAS B737-400 reduced his taxy to runway 32R to a crawl just so that he could have a lasting dose of the beautiful action. Up on the Observation Hill, I swear we could hear some really unquotable swearings ... and perhaps this is when Jonathan felt like crying again.

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-07Cr-MAS-A380-WatercanonSalute.jpg

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-08Cr-MAS-A380-WatercanonSalute.jpg

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-09Cr-MAS-A380-WatercanonSalute.jpg

As the water-canon salute neared its conclusion, the new emblem on the tail was given a tonne of watery blessings.

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-10Vr-MAS-A380-TonnesOfBlessingsForNewLogo.jpg

As all the excitement and action settled, it was left to KS Ong and me to search the ramp for a watery patch - a task made difficult by the hot sun. I finally found my patch ... and it was worth getting soaked and left dripping wet for this shot.

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-11Cr-MAS-A380-AftertheSalute.jpg

On the way to the cabin tour, we paused and sought permission for this shot of the A380's fuselage markings.

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-12Cr-MAS-A380-FuselageMarkings.jpg

What a great day this has been ... and my sincere thanks to the MAS Social Media team and fellow Mwingers for their company and assistance.

KC Sim

BTW, 9M-MNA was not the only receipient of the water-canon salute. It generously shared this honour with Ian Lim ... thanks of course to the strong winds which blew the auspicious droplets in Ian's direction. He had to scurry for shelter, I suspect this was more to protect his valuable equipment than to keep himself dry.

KC Sim

Beautiful captures guys...

You've to give it to MWingers to bring the best out of the situations even facing the sun.

Btw, Jon... Azahan & me were on "your side" of the runway... Wonder why those guys chose that spot when they've the opportunity...

Super great shots and coverage guys,doulbe thumbs up to TK,Azhan,Jon,Ian,KC Sim,Ong,Tukun,and Sifu Norman,you all makes Mwingers proud with all the excellent shots and angles..Sifu Norman upload yours plszzzz

Malaysia Airlines Day!

Feels like home. Testing testing before major arrival. :db:

ROAARRR.......

29June2012_MRN_2b.jpg

29June2012_MRN_1b.jpg

29June2012_MMC_1b.jpg

29June2012_MMB_1b.jpg

29June2012_MKA_1b.jpg

Let's have a look from inside.

556967_10150981836448965_254788243_n.jpg

A friend of mine was on that flight (she's from the Treasury), and the photo was taken during water-canon salute.

*courtesy of my friend, thanks to her..

Chaity,

Where are you?

Thank you guys for the lovely shots for the historical moments for MH. :clapping:

Good to see shots from different angles and especially from OH. :search:

I wish I was there but work comes first.

By approximately 0935, she entered KLIA with a low fly pass above 32R. The new Queen was so graceful. My dislike of its "Puma" livery was absolutely forgotten at that moment.

29June2012_MNA_3b.jpg

29June2012_MNA_4b.jpg

29June2012_MNA_5b.jpg

Then she banked right, downwind, base then on final on same runway.

Great shots from the people on the bright side ... thanks to them, we get to see the A380 at its best during its flypast and landing.

Here's another installment of shots from me. How many engines does an A380 have? Two? Three? No, Four.

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-11Cr-MAS-A380-TXS-Closeup.jpg

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-12Cr-MAS-A380-TXS-Closeup.jpg

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-13Cr-MAS-A380-TXS-Closeup.jpg

A brief moment before the start of the water-canon salute must have been very tense for those operating the fire tenders. They have to co-ordinate the exact moment they both shoots out the jets of water ... they have to ensure that the jets meet in mid-air, taking into consideration the prevailing wind direction and the fact that they are shooting from opposing directions ... but they did a great job and produced an arc of water that made a fitting tribute to the A380's home-coming.

mw-9M-MNA-2012-06-29-14Cr-MAS-A380-TXP-BeforeTheSalute.jpg

Back in the holding room of gate 27, a pair of beautifully-crafted pewter A380 models was displayed. I wonder who are the very lucky people to finally get to keep them.

mw-MASA380Homecoming-2012-06-29-02Cr-PewterModels.jpg

Meanwhile, on the ramp ... KS Ong did not seem too pleased after the water-canon salute ended. Perched high on the platform which is normally occupied by the person marshalling an arriving aircraft, he had a great height advantage.

mw-KSOng-2012-06-29-01Cr-NotVeryPleased.jpg

KS Ong's frown quickly turned to all smiles when he was joined by Ian Lim and Suhaimi for a shot with the A380. Here's one for the album.

mw-MASA380Homecoming-2012-06-29-01Cr-IanLIMSuhaimiKSOng.jpg

KC Sim

Sign in to follow this