MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sri Ramani K.

AirAsia Cadet Pilot

good stuff from AirAsia..but i guess the demands are high..stringent A2 on english & maths with a B3 in physics..

good luck mates.

http://www.airasia.com/site/en/page.jsp?reference=cadetpilot

Keen to be a pilot with AirAsia? Read on.

We are looking for young, energetic and hardworking people with a healthy attitude and good work ethics to train to be pilots.

Our cadet pilot training programme is among the best in the world.

Requirements:

* Malaysian citizen, aged between 18 and 28 as at date of application.

* Either:

1. Passed SPM (or its equivalent that is recognized by the Malaysian Government) with at least A2 in English and Mathematics and B3 in Physics taken at one sitting. (Those from the Arts stream should have at least an A2 in General Science); or

2. Possess a Diploma/Degree in Engineering or Science-related disciplines with CGPA 3.0 and above and at SPM level scored at least a B4 in the subjects mentioned above taken in one sitting.

* Good command of English and Bahasa Malaysia both written and spoken.

* Must be physically and mentally fit with good eyesight (visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aid, correctable to 6/6 and not colour blind. Should be able to successfully pass a medical examination up to a Class 1 standard conducted by a Department of Civil Aviation Authorised Medical Examiner (DAME).

* Minimum height of 163 cm (5ft 3in).

* Be prepared to sign a training bond with a surety.

The Selection Process

The process consists of the stages as follows:

1. Screening of applications

2. Written academic tests in English, Mathematics and Science (Physics) with an IQ test. Passing mark of at least 75% required in all subjects.

3. Aptitude testing

4. Interview

5. Medical Examination

6. Final selection

The Training Programme

Commercial Pilot Licence with a 'Frozen' ATPL

ONLY the training cost is sponsored by AirAsia. All other expenses such as accommodation and food plus all other miscellaneous expenditure will be borne by the cadets. All cadet pilots will repay the cost of training through monthly deductions over a period of fifteen (15) years commencing from the time they are employed by AirAsia and commence their line training as Second Officers. In addition to this the cadets will have to sign a training bond for the type-rating course on the Boeing 737 or the Airbus A320.

In the event the cadet pilot is unsuccessful at any stage of the training the cadet is obliged to repay AirAsia all the training cost that had been expended up to the stage of termination plus any administrative costs.

Phase 1: This phase will take approximately 66 weeks and consist of the following:

Ground School curriculum comprising approximately 1,000 hours of classroom time covering the following:

* Private Pilot Licence (PPL) ground subjects with examinations conducted by DCAM.

* DCA Technical subjects with examinations conducted by DCAM.

* Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) ground subjects with in house examinations approved by DCAM.

* Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) ground subjects with papers set and marked by the UK Overseas Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Examinations. These Examinations will be conducted by DCAM.

* Flight training with 200 flying hours comprising of a minimum of 35 hours on a twin-engined aircraft and the remaining on a single-engined aircraft.

On completion of this the cadet pilots will be issued with a CPL and an Instrument Rating (I/R) with a Frozen ATPL. With this the cadet pilots will be able to progress onto the next stage of the training at AirAsia.

Phase 2: The cadet pilots will carry out their Multi-crew Coordination Course (MCC) before starting their type-rating courses on either the B737 or the A320. This phase includes other regulatory courses conducted to enable them to fly as a crew in an aircraft in the commercial category. Once they have completed their type-rating course they will become Second Officers and commence their line training after having successfully completed their endorsement flight. This whole process in this phase takes approximately 3 to 6 months.

Career Progression

After successfully completing their line training the Second Officers will be employed as First Officers and gain their experience on line. Within a period of 5 to 6 years they would have gained enough hours to be eligible for promotion as a Captain to act as commander. This is of course, subject to their performance, recommendation and any suitable vacancy. With the very fast pace of expansion of AirAsia there is abundant opportunity for all ambitious candidates who are willing to work hard.

Applications to be addressed to:

Cadet Pilot Programme Coordinator

AirAsia Academy

Lot PT25B, Jln KLIA S5

South Support Zone KLIA

64000 Sepang,

Selangor Darul Ehsan

Please submit ONLY the following with your application:

* Resume with your contact numbers (including mobile phone) and a valid email address as all correspondence will be via sms or email. Please do ensure your email inbox is not full.

* 1 Passport size recent photograph (NR).

* Copy of MYKAD.

* Copies of only the relevant educational certificates as per the requirements mentioned above.

All original educational certificates and any other certificates should only be brought when you are called to appear for the Academic Tests.

Important to note: All applications are to be sent only after the advertisement appears in the STAR and/or New Straits Times newspapers and before the Closing Date. Otherwise, the application will not be considered or acknowledged.

Closing Date: 5 Jan 2007

Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.

Min height 163cm?Sigh! <_ .lain tahunlah i apply.>

Anyway good luck to those who apply for the position.All the best :)

Great news!

Thansk Ramani..

Have you guys seen the ad on the STAR or NST?

I tried looking in todays STAR, but i couldnt find any.. The website says you have to apply only after the advert is out in the papers.

So if you guys come across it, please let everyone know here...

Found it on THE STAR too..after a deep search..

AirAsia cadet pilot...i think i'll pass. Kena bond for this...for that...for this...haihz...

"In the event the cadet pilot is unsuccessful at any stage of the training the cadet is obliged to repay AirAsia all the training cost that had been expended up to the stage of termination plus any administrative costs"

This clause is a real killer. Can make someone into a bankrupt in one night. Flight training is not easy. You kind of having 50-50% of success. Got to really work hard to pass through.

Better join SQ cadet progran. If u fail at any stage, no need to pay a single cent to SQ. SQ pay for all trainings, allowance & accomadation. Bond is 7 years.

Guest Fendy

the requirements are high because they dont want their pilots taking the planes off the runway again :rofl: :rofl:

100 A320s= More experienced pilots? :rofl:

Edited by Andrew Ong

The selection process is tough..

And its designed to make sure they choose cadets who wont 'fail' halfway through the training..

The selection process is tough..

And its designed to make sure they choose cadets who wont 'fail' halfway through the training..

Tough selection process can't guarantee all selected will go through. On average 10-20% SQ cadet pilots would fail somewhere along the line. Good thing is if they have tried their best but failed, SQ would release without any penalty.

I believe Air Asia training is no different but making cadets pay back all expenses is too much. Flight training is very-very expensive . Unless you have rich family that able to back you up, then its a oppurtuniy. Else its like gambling with all your wealth & assets as collateral.

Hello mdrudy, welome to the MW!

Excellent thought on the cadet pilot training......I guess it's true that "pilot is rich's kids job" :rolleyes:

i guess it's not rich if you ever do make it into one of these progs. it justifies, if ur capable u'll make the cut, or else dig your pockets deep and fund yourself into a flying school/club and get the necessary licenses..

Hello mdrudy, welome to the MW!

Excellent thought on the cadet pilot training......I guess it's true that "pilot is rich's kids job" :rolleyes:

Seth,

Thanks.

I guess it depends on which airlines you end up as a cadet. You can come from middle income family with MAS or SIA. But with AirAsia, better be the rich kids. :rolleyes:

hi fello malaysian wings

i saw the advertisement also. im just curious, terminated as in if the cadets fail any of the exams?? as in the cadets are not allow to repeat?? tq..nice to meet all of ya..

actually this is good...as u know AAsia is also budget..they dun wan to waste their money on those who 1/2 way lose out rite...if ur really really love being pilot and have only 1 heart for it..u will bet on this if u fail to go for SIA or MAS..

I agree with mdrudy,

However, if you are given a sponsorship in any way, be it by a college of by any institution, you are always expected to maintain a certain standard by those who offer you the sponsorship, and in this case Air Asia expects you to work hard and be succesfull at the end of the program. Even in my college, you have a certain passing mark for every exam, and if you fail one subject, you can say bye to your scholarship...

But the pay-back-all-training-cost policy is a little too harsh.

Well, not everything comes free in this world, and even if it does, there are consequences...

:)

Hi guys,

Well, i'm new here but i've been reading thru this forum for quite some time now.. Neway, replying to this topic, i've just submitted my application this afternoon.. I've missed MAS, so this is like my 2nd chance.. Well, i plan to make this time a 1-time go.. I'm eyeing for the top 10 & i've been doing my preparation. Probably any experienced guy can share some advice? I really need this.. Neway, tink the bond & payback isn't a concern for me.. I just want to fly.. Isn't that wat pilot is all about? Hope u guys can help me just to make it into the top 10.. Really need it.. badly... been reading thru Cpt Lim's forum as well.. Wat else can i do? PLS PLS PLS PLS ADVICE my bros..

tks

Victor :help:

10s!! Gud luck to u too. But actually my main target is MAS lo.. Any idea wen is going to be their next intake? I've missed the March 1.. But i'm a little worried if i'll fail half-way.. there r things that u really try ur best, but there r also mistakes that r ought to be made.. Since we r on the same bout my dear fren, any advice 4 me? It's actually my 1st time.. :pardon: :sorry:

Pls do advice if any..

Regards,

Victor.

:drinks: