MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
zeqa

RBA SHOCK: CEO QUITS

1.jpg

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/Top-News/rba-shock-robert-yang-ceo-quits.html

Bandar Seri Begawan - In a sudden move, Royal Brunei Airlines announced yesterday its Chief Executive Officer Robert Yang's resignation.

The announcement came as a shock to many as Mr Yang had not completed his two-year service with RBA and had been a key player in modernizing the airline.

It is not known what prompted Mr Yang's sudden resignation as the airline have been having a succession of CEOs in the past and it was thought that Mr Yang's tenure would have been more permanent.

But with Mr Yang's resignation it looks like it is not going to be so, an airline official commented. Mr Yang was not available for comment.

Yesterday the RBA announcement said, "Royal Brunei Airlines wishes to announce that its Chief Executive Officer, Mr Robert Yang has decided to leave the Company and, will be departing from Royal Brunei Airlines with effect from 1 March 2011.

"He will be leaving RBA to pursue other interests. RBA Board of Directors would like to thank him for his service and we wish him the best on his future endeavors.

Until further notice, the management of Royal Brunei Airlines will report to Deputy

Chairman, Mr Dermot Mannion

Mr Yang was appointed as RBA chief on July 1, 2009 and urshed in the airlines first Boeing 777 the following month.

He took over taking over from CEO Pengiran Haji Alihashim Pengiran Haji Yussof with Ray Sayer stepping down from the top job in February 2 2009.

Robert Yang has over 18 years experience in the aviation industry, having started his career with Singapore Airlines where he held various strategic positions said Royal Brunei Airlines said in a statement at that time.

Mr Yang joined Royal Brunei after two years as Executive Vice President Asia for CEVA, a transportation and logistics company.

wah....we were just blogging about how good RBA have turned out and this is a bombshell indeed !!!

I am pretty sure the administration of RBA has been interfered by internal politics..for sure. Hm...interesting...Anyone have more information?

How would RBA or Brunei prosper if it does not allow for a change and the country to be run and administered as professionally as it could? With almost every activities available are government/royalty linked, I do not see any chances of it being efficiently run and managed. Constant harassment from greedy influential people will surface as efficiency are put in place. These people felt their easy income being threatened, and their lifestyle were about to be changed.

I would like to congratulate Mr.Robert Yang for a job well done, and for being able to start the winds of change here despite the many turbulences along the way.

rumours was that through Mr.Yang's initiative and good rapport with the industry that he was able to get the B777 in so soon. How else would RBA within a short time frame can it get the aircrafts from Boeing?

rumours was that through Mr.Yang's initiative and good rapport with the industry that he was able to get the B777 in so soon. How else would RBA within a short time frame can it get the aircrafts from Boeing?

More like good rapport with his ex employers. the 777s were ex SIA. Goes to show "never burn bridges when you leave a company"..

true... whenever we part ways with our employers or even employees, always have a mutual and friendly separation. I have more than a couple of ex-staffs who have left the company to become some of the successful business men, and couple of them earned their Datukship too... kudos...

Oh my...I just read about this. I haven't have any internet access in my home back in Brunei.

Looks like the bad omen cycle continues. I think there is only one reason why he quit. A reason we cannot disclose. He will be missed for all the great work he has done. :drinks:

Good luck RBA....another downward spiral will commence now. :blink: :help: =@

I do not have much faith in the Deputy Chair, look at what he did to Aer Lingus few years back.... :blink:

Oh my...I just read about this. I haven't have any internet access in my home back in Brunei.

Looks like the bad omen cycle continues. I think there is only one reason why he quit. A reason we cannot disclose. He will be missed for all the great work he has done. :drinks:

Good luck RBA....another downward spiral will commence now. :blink: :help: =@

I do not have much faith in the Deputy Chair, look at what he did to Aer Lingus few years back.... :blink:

Why can't you disclose? Intervention or meddling by the royal family? That has been there since the last three decades.

Looks like an uphill task for RBA to pull itself out of the sleeping mode now. If VVIPs are said to be interfering in RBA affairs for not of the betterment of the airline but more of a person greed agenda, the airline will continue to be milked off its coffers and as long as Brunei still have oil in its yard, RBA will not go chapter 11. It however will become retarded while the rest of the world are forging along.

I wondered if the B777s will still be in service anymore? Or back to some cheaper used A320/330s?

Hm.. so much for promoting the tourism there. With such a glaring hands on interference, I doubt any beneficial projects for the country and its people would be forthcoming at all.

Why can't you disclose? Intervention or meddling by the royal family? That has been there since the last three decades.

Er...hahas!! Talking something unpleasant about the royal family is restricted in Brunei. I better play safe. Much apologies.

True to what you've said, RBA is governed by 'upper-hand'.

Looks like an uphill task for RBA to pull itself out of the sleeping mode now. If VVIPs are said to be interfering in RBA affairs for not of the betterment of the airline but more of a person greed agenda, the airline will continue to be milked off its coffers and as long as Brunei still have oil in its yard, RBA will not go chapter 11. It however will become retarded while the rest of the world are forging along.

I wondered if the B777s will still be in service anymore? Or back to some cheaper used A320/330s?

Hm.. so much for promoting the tourism there. With such a glaring hands on interference, I doubt any beneficial projects for the country and its people would be forthcoming at all.

I agree with what Cire had said in this thread. The local feels that their job is threatened and do not want to change their lifestyle. However, the world is forging ahead with many changes daily. How can anyone not go with the flow? There are many well qualified aviation experts in the country but many are sidelined. RBA will remain as a small, tiny player in the kangaroo market for next X number of years by picking the 'leftover' pax. No offence meant. But if EK's 90 A380 comes into play...*jeng jeng jeng*....the rest is unimaginable.

However, I do think B777 will still be in service at least for the remainder of 2011 as backing out of the contract would mean another few thousands if not million dollars down the drain. So do A319/A320 for a while as they just extended their 7 years lease. But then again, you will never know what is the next bombshell RBA will drop.

No matter how much Brunei Tourism promote their product its useless because all complementary industries are underdeveloped. Some of the people are living in a comfortable life, thinking that oil is here forever. God bless....

RBA's story from 1974 till now is worth being make into drama series....

Imagine, with that much of cash coming in daily, if only ONE very VVIP person decided to make a change and use some of the earnings from the oil to develop a major themepark, aerospace camp, or even eco-tourism, this small Kingdom could be the major tourist hub in this region in a very very short period. It could be another Dubai for folks to transit from Oceania, SEA to the western countries. It can overshot Singapore even as a preferred stop-over. hm...if only.

Imagine, with that much of cash coming in daily, if only ONE very VVIP person decided to make a change and use some of the earnings from the oil to develop a major themepark, aerospace camp, or even eco-tourism, this small Kingdom could be the major tourist hub in this region in a very very short period. It could be another Dubai for folks to transit from Oceania, SEA to the western countries. It can overshot Singapore even as a preferred stop-over. hm...if only.

Big dreams....zero effort it would be.

major themepark- Used to have it, free entry somemore with endless rides, fountain shows...now it looks an abandoned town.

aerospace camp- Brunei send most of it pilot to UK for pilot course. There was some talk of setting one in Brunei. But hangat hangat tahi ayam till today it remains yet to be seen...even the shadow.

Eco-tourism- Been there, done that. Brunei is too small to fight big brothers like Malaysia and Indonesia. Furthermore, industries to complement eco-tourism is close to nil except for many many hotels....

Everything here closed by 10pm. No nightlife, no alchohol, no Starbucks, no pub, no disco, errr....good for older folks but younger crowd, nah!

Its a very very quiet country. :)

Big dreams....zero effort it would be.

major themepark- Used to have it, free entry somemore with endless rides, fountain shows...now it looks an abandoned town.

aerospace camp- Brunei send most of it pilot to UK for pilot course. There was some talk of setting one in Brunei. But hangat hangat tahi ayam till today it remains yet to be seen...even the shadow.

Eco-tourism- Been there, done that. Brunei is too small to fight big brothers like Malaysia and Indonesia. Furthermore, industries to complement eco-tourism is close to nil except for many many hotels....

Everything here closed by 10pm. No nightlife, no alchohol, no Starbucks, no pub, no disco, errr....good for older folks but younger crowd, nah!

Its a very very quiet country. :)

We do have a copyright starbucks :drinks: haha.. Behind the Mall :p

The only night life in Brunei- is the Kiangeh Food Center, nasi katok stall. Rest of it -its close.

Tourist in Brunei- It's either working tourist or Transit passenger from Oz on their way to UK. I do recall seeing Taiwan tourist(Charter flight)- They all sit down most of their time at yayasan waiting for the Tour bus. They find it expensive & boring.

most of Jerudong park roller coaster, pusing lagi, simulators etc are now at Siam Park Thailand.

Mr Yang set a good example for the aviation industry and should follow by others. Too bad about the mingling from the royals

Edited by Aiman Arif

Mr Yang set a good example for the aviation industry and should follow by others. Too bad about the mingling from the royals

100% sure on this? It could be another different story... ;)

Fuuh! Knowing me and my craze for flying planes other than Airbus, Boeing and ATR...I will the first to buy the ticket! Actually I would think the Embraer 190AR will do BI much good...for Shuttle service across ASEAN...

100% sure on this? It could be another different story... ;)

To a business perspective, by letting go aged planes which leads to cutting down on maintenance cost, offering folks with more comfort and modern planes, lowered fleet maintenance cost, and finally exploring and finding new market in China.. I think that's how a business should be run.

It however would not please local cronies who's on RBA's coffers by offering support services, citing poor judgement to get new planes rather than continue to use the aged birds.

It's just not economical to continue with a fleet of aged birds that even their own local would not fly when going abroad.

Judging by the complacent business environment over there, its short of a miracle that RY even managed to get the new B777s for RBA.

Well, that's what you will get when you are in a "family-type" business environment. Internal influence over-rules any sensible professional advise.

To a business perspective, by letting go aged planes which leads to cutting down on maintenance cost, offering folks with more comfort and modern planes, lowered fleet maintenance cost, and finally exploring and finding new market in China.. I think that's how a business should be run.

It however would not please local cronies who's on RBA's coffers by offering support services, citing poor judgement to get new planes rather than continue to use the aged birds.

It's just not economical to continue with a fleet of aged birds that even their own local would not fly when going abroad.

Judging by the complacent business environment over there, its short of a miracle that RY even managed to get the new B777s for RBA.

Well, that's what you will get when you are in a "family-type" business environment. Internal influence over-rules any sensible professional advise.

The period of royal mingling has long gone. The king (and his family) has His Majesty the Sultan's Flight at his disposal so I don't see royal interference there.

1. Could be that the ex CEO has done something terribly and gravely wrong :finger: OR

2. They parted in good terms having not agreed on ways to improve the airline. Hey you are the boss, I quit :D

hm...perhaps you are right... we will never know for sure, are we? Only speculates..

Well, it will be good to know what's going to happen to RBA in this region.

Sign in to follow this