Jump to content


Icon Important Announcement!


New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals


Photo

S'pore based Jetstar wants to fly to more M'sian towns


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,400 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

KUALA LUMPUR: If Jetstar Asia gets more air planes this year it will like to fly to Ipoh, Sandakan and Tawau from Singapore, says chief executive officer Chong Phit Lian.

The request for more airplanes has been made from its parent, Jetstar Australia, and Qantas, which has ordered 63 new A320 with staggered deliveries.

But for now, Jetstar Asia has to contend with growth from its existing business even though it has been increasing its Singapore-to-Penang flights from once daily to twice last week.

“We are evaluating other points as the major cities are currently being served. Our constraint is aircraft. If we can lease more we would like to fly to more places,’’ she told StarBiz recently.

Besides the three destinations in Malaysia, the airline also hopes to fly to Guanzhou, Shenzhen and Chengdu in China and Chennai and Mumbai in India.

Next year it plans to fly to Tokyo.

Ipoh will be possible if the airport can accommodate an A320, Chong said.

Jetstar Asia is a Singapore-based airline that is 49% owned by Australia’s Qantas and the remaining 51% is still held by Dennis Khoo, a long-time partner of Qantas in this region. Temasek Holdings has exited from Jetstar Asia since April this year. Jetstar Asia owns 100% of Valuair. Chong is also CEO of Valuair.

The airline started off with two daily flights to KL International Airport early this year and today offers connectivity to Penang, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu.

It has 19 weekly flights to KLIA, 14 to Penang, four to Kota Kinabalu and a daily service to Kuching.

Beginning August this year the airline began offering interlining for passengers from and to Qantas, Jetstar Australia and Jetstar Pacific. The latter two airlines are units of Qantas.

The new arrangement with Qantas and Jetstar Australia and Pacific provides a seamless ticketing offering for airline customers on all of Jetstar Asia’s markets.

The new interline agreement with Qantas may offer London or Amsterdam-based customers the ability to purchase itineraries to all Jetstar Asia markets on its existing flight network and it also allows Jetstar’s customers in South East Asia to seamlessly connect with Qantas’ global network to and out of Singapore or Malaysia.

“The next thing we are working on is to provide interlining for Oneworld members. Qantas is a member of Oneworld and we would like to be the connecting point for Oneworld members,’’ Chong said, adding that “we expect to grow passengers with our interlining arrangements.”

The airline is excited over the prospects of interlining and hopes the partnership will help it carry more passengers than the 1.8 million it carries yearly. It also enjoys an average load factor of about 80% system-wide despite the A(H1N1) influenza scare currently.

“The industry faces a lot of challenges but we are very nimble and quick to react and that helps in our business,’’ she said.

She said there was an increasing number of corporate travellers flying with Jetstar and in Singapore it was the airline for 400 companies, including some multinationals, that used the airline for travel regularly.

“A lot of people in the corporate world think they cannot make changes to their tickets once they have purchased but we allow for first-time change for free and the next we charge a nominal sum,’’ she said.

She said fares had nosedived from strong competition but might go up slightly with the festive season.

Source: http://biz.thestar.c...23&sec=business

#2 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

The more the merrier, more flights means more competition, more choice and lower price for pax :good:

:drinks:
  • W Goh likes this

#3 Pieter C.

Pieter C.
  • Platinum Member
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Beginning August this year the airline began offering interlining for passengers from and to Qantas, Jetstar Australia and Jetstar Pacific. The latter two airlines are units of Qantas.

The new arrangement with Qantas and Jetstar Australia and Pacific provides a seamless ticketing offering for airline customers on all of Jetstar Asia’s markets.

The new interline agreement with Qantas may offer London or Amsterdam-based customers the ability to purchase itineraries to all Jetstar Asia markets on its existing flight network and it also allows Jetstar’s customers in South East Asia to seamlessly connect with Qantas’ global network to and out of Singapore or Malaysia.


This suggests, a lot of GB and NL passengers transit SIN for further S-E Asian flights on 3K (like we were: SIN-SGN-SIN)...

#4 C.Foo

C.Foo
  • Silver Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

Why not for extra capacity tempoary use Jet Connect's/ Qantas New Zealand 4 x 737-476's currently offloaded :rolleyes:

#5 Loh Wilson

Loh Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Whhopps no mention of Ali Rustam Melaka International Airport.

#6 Azman MN

Azman MN
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

I tried Jetstar for KUL-SIN last month. Quite good. Best part is that you leave from the main terminal, not LCCT. Aircraft is exactly the same as the ones in Australia. It happened to be the cheapest ticket on that day compared to Air Asia, Tiger, etc. Competition is good!

#7 Waiping

Waiping

    Model Collector/Spotter

  • Platinum Member
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Interesting to know where would they want to fly to considering they have pretty much covered some of the larger airports in Malaysia - BKI, KCH, KUL, PEN. East Coast?

#8 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

Waiping,

KUALA LUMPUR: If Jetstar Asia gets more air planes this year it will like to fly to Ipoh, Sandakan and Tawau from Singapore, .....

:)

#9 Waiping

Waiping

    Model Collector/Spotter

  • Platinum Member
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Waiping,

:)


Sorry, thought they were joking there. :P

#10 Isaac

Isaac
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

Jetstar Asia is a Singapore-based airline that is 49% owned by Australia’s Qantas and the remaining 51% is still held by Dennis Khoo, a long-time partner of Qantas in this region.

Is Dennis Khoo son of the late Maybank founder, Tan Sri Khoo Teck Puat ?

#11 Mushrif A

Mushrif A
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:30 PM

I tried Jetstar for KUL-SIN last month. Quite good. Best part is that you leave from the main terminal, not LCCT. Aircraft is exactly the same as the ones in Australia. It happened to be the cheapest ticket on that day compared to Air Asia, Tiger, etc. Competition is good!


Agreed. Same conclusion here. The big plus was the main terminal departure/ arrival at KUL, and the fares can be cheaper than AK. On such a short flight, very little separates MH and Silkair from Jetstar, with Jetstar almost always coming out tops in terms of cheaper fares between the two in Y.

OK, some may favour the widebody factor when flying SQ or lounge access in SQ/MI/MH if carrying elite FFP cards - but Jetstar has a great product for such sectors.

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

Now if only they have a late night flight to KUL so that I can do a same day connection to KUL after landing in SIN on QF9. Especially now given that it is possible to earn QFF points and status credits on Jetstar.

Lounge access not an issue at KUL with Priority Pass (i get it free from AMEX).

I agree that v little seperates the different carriers on such a short route, unless you're connecting to a long haul service at SIN in which case it's better to fly the carriers with interlining agreements to the long haul operator, ie SQ/MI/MH/3K.

Edited by Keith T, 18 August 2009 - 11:49 PM.


#13 Naim

Naim

    ****

  • Platinum Member
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

I've just booked JetStar for Singapore-Darwin traveling late Oct 09, S$160 return all-in. World Heritage Site Kakadu National Park, here I come! :yahoo:

#14 Isaac

Isaac
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:54 AM

I've just booked JetStar for Singapore-Darwin traveling late Oct 09, S$160 return all-in. World Heritage Site Kakadu National Park, here I come! :yahoo:

I believe it's going to be HOT HOT HOT there in DRW ? Looking forward to see another pictorial travelogue from you, Dr Naim :drinks:

#15 Ruiz Razy

Ruiz Razy
  • Silver Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

.... and if they reactivate and selected KUL as the Hub , it will be another wake up call for u know who.

#16 Waiping

Waiping

    Model Collector/Spotter

  • Platinum Member
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

.... and if they reactivate and selected KUL as the Hub , it will be another wake up call for u know who.


Er...they are not ready. :P

#17 Ruiz Razy

Ruiz Razy
  • Silver Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

Er...they are not ready. :P

...ummmmm must be back to sleep since the last wakeup call by the "reds" , that explains y nothing much on new hardware upgrades and improvements.
Can someone here wake them up please; otherwise rescue package may need to come in at our $$$$ !




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users