MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H Azmal

MAS Nasi Lemak @ RM 15

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Wed...e/pp_index_html]

Cost of MAS 5-star meals ‘reasonable’

By By V. Anbalagan

19 April, 2006

KUALA LUMPUR: The cost of in-flight meals provided by Malaysia Airlines is reasonable. The national airline said in a statement the cost of tea, coffee and nasi lemak was either lower or comparable with that served at top quality hotels and restaurants.

"Our in-flight meals are prepared under strict supervision for high standards of cleanliness and quality control," it said in response to recent media reports that nasi lemak, eggs and other foodstuffs were supplied to the airline at exorbitant prices.

The issue was also raised by several MPs in Parliament who said one of the reasons for MAS’ poor financial performance was the high price it paid for its catering service.

The statement said MAS provided five-star service to its passengers at competitive costs and this included in-flight entertainment, food and drinks.

It said the need for "gourmet" coffee and tea was also necessary for customer service as well as to sustain competitive standards in comparison with other premium airlines.

Although MAS offered in-flight a variety of premium brands of tea produced locally and imported, the cost per serving to customers was between 11 sen and 60 sen. As for coffee, the price paid per bag was between RM1.36 and RM 3.20, depending on brand and weight.

"We are able to keep these costs low as the suppliers provide their products at subsidised prices in return for the brand recognition they get by associating with a five-star carrier like Malaysia Airlines."

The statement said nasi lemak was its "signature dish" and it was served in-flight in several variations: sambal sotong, sambal udang and ikan bilis.

In the first class and business class the price per passenger was between RM15.97 and RM36.78 and for economy class it was from RM5.85 to RM7.13.

It said under the new service delivery system, which was introduced recently, food was prepared in the galley by cabin crew and served directly to first and business class passengers with emphasis on presentation.

MAS gave an assurance that while the airlines was prudent in its expenditure for frontline service, it did not compromise on the quality of products and services, both in-flight and on ground.

It said the national carrier had consistently won quality service awards every year for in-flight and ground service from independent research companies and service industry magazines of international repute.

In June 2000, it was among the world’s top five airlines for product development and service delivery in a survey by Inflight Research Services.

Commentary from local blogger aisehman: http://www.aisehman.org/archives/2006/04/s...ture_suppl.html

Signature Supplier

Can I have the autograph of the nasi lemak supplier for MAS?

The statement [from MAS] said nasi lemak was its "signature dish" and it was served in-flight in several variations: sambal sotong, sambal udang and ikan bilis.

In the first class and business class the price per passenger was between RM15.97 and RM36.78 and for economy class it was from RM5.85 to RM7.13. [New Straits Times]

Why does the cost of the cheapest nasi lemak (only RM5.85 if it is served in economy class) balloon to at least RM15.97 for the two higher classes?

If the nasi lemak is the same, why is the cost of procuring the nasi lemak for first, business and economy class not?

Unless MAS is talking about the total cost of serving nasi lemak (which would include not just the cost of the nasi lemak, but labour and other related costs as well) or the price charged to passengers, there should be no difference in the cost of the nasi lemak, regardless of the passenger class in which it is served.

And don't give me that "signature dish" bullshit. It only means that the price of nasi lemak charged to the passenger (which is part of the fare paid) varies depending on the passenger class.

It should NOT mean that the cost of the nasi lemak to MAS varies according to the passenger class.

Now, where's that "signature supplier"? I want his autograph.

WHO is the "signature supplier"? Anyone can tell us?

The MAS in-flight meals cost is considered are the lowest,rather than 5-star hotel or restaurants....Great :lol:

I've enjoyed their nasi lemak once,when i've went onboard MH2505 (KCH-JHB)last year.The taste of the nasi lemak seved onboard was not bad at all,although some of my friends said it's sucks <_>

Glad to hear that the MAS nasi lemak is cheaper than 5-star hotel and restaurant,as they may cost you up more than RM 15/- !

Edited by Tamizi TS

It should NOT mean that the cost of the nasi lemak to MAS varies according to the passenger class.

Then what's the purpose of paying less or more :)

IPB Image

Nasi Lemak (traditional Malaysian breakfast of rice cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaves, served with Cuttlefish sambal, and accompaniments of peanuts, anchovies, cucumber and boiled egg).

MH Nasi Lemak Price*

First Class and Business Class RM 15.97-RM 36.78

Business Class Pre-Casserole RM 5.85 - RM 7.13

Economy Class RM 5.85- RM 7.13

*Quote from Kosmo Newspaper.

Yeah It Better from AK One Right.. Price and taste. ;)

Edited by Ibrahim

Nescafe instant coffee and Boh tea is gourmet? EY class nasi lemak is comparable to 5 stars hotel?

What a joke! :huh:

hmm...the price is nice to cut those never eat nasi lemak b4....I have my nasi lemak in cyberjaya with the drumstick and add rice and add peanut and add eggs for RM3.5.....i think the quality.....is mas=motorbike, makciknasilemak=ferrari.... :p

Actually it all really depend on the view of individual. For a me the price is not a factor. If they are serving cheap but it nice and quality is there why not. If they are serving me food that are not up to standard and cost me a lot, then it bad for them.............and maybe get sue.

Actually it all really depend on the view of individual. For a me the price is not a factor. If they are serving cheap but it nice and quality is there why not. If they are serving me food that are not up to standard and cost me a lot, then it bad for them.............and maybe get sue.

I thinkl Leo is right, sometimes Nasi Lemak at the stall by the road is better than 5 star hotels one, just like Thai restaurants at KL are very tasty but in hotel, it's just above average :)

Seems Reasonable....

As long as it taste good then it's all good..

RM15 is just too expensive and not reasonable at all. Ofcos for any company, cost and quality is the most important part. But RM15 is totally too much.. real cost of 1 plate of nasi lemak is less than RM5, even 5 star standard.

The food cost is one thing. But I think most of the cost is attributed to the management of the catering environment. I remember once learning from another site that airline catering has to maintain a very high level of hygiene, because you don't want a full load of passangers on your KUL-LHR flight to have food poisoning. Most importantly, you don't want the pilots, who happen to also be eating the same food, to have food poisoning too.

While the face value of one serving of nasi lemak may be considerably higher than the road side stall or 5 star hotel, as long as quality is guaranteed, I think most people can live with that.

I can get a very tasty nasi lemak here at "Mustika" for only RM1.50 ! RM15.00 is definately too expensive, especially for an airline base in Malaysia !!!!

Edited by Isaac

I can get a very tasty nasi lemak here at "Mustika" for only RM1.50 ! RM15.00 is definately too expensive, especially for an airline base in Malaysia !!!!

I guess they get Rice from India, Fish from Indonesia, Shrimp from japan, sambal from Dubai, santan from bali, egg from Romania and cucumber from Thailand, all makes it 15 bucks for a small plate :) The plate made in China, napkin from royal family store...........................

15 bucks of plate per serve from an ariline with expensive rate............worth it :)

RM15 is just too expensive and not reasonable at all. Ofcos for any company, cost and quality is the most important part. But RM15 is totally too much.. real cost of 1 plate of nasi lemak is less than RM5, even 5 star standard.

Oh the cost of a nasi lemak is around RM15 is because at first the ingredient to make a nasi lemak is there the basic but cost not stop there. Don't forget there is also involve thing that need to hold on to the nasi lemak to be transport to the aircraft those equipment are not cheap because it come in with air cooler which again include cost there. Then they don't simply rap in on the pandan leafs, so the containers need to be clean and hygiene, it cost incurs again. By the way nasi lemak on the plane also contribute to weight every KG add to the flight also mean burn more fuel, so anything that been pick up for the air plane like the trolley or food cart also contribute to weight which also a cost to the airlines. So all the above and other that I didn’t mention contribute to the cost of the nasi lemak. Hance out the nasi lemak now become RM15. B)

Oh the cost of a nasi lemak is around RM15 is because at first the ingredient to make a nasi lemak is there the basic but cost not stop there. Don't forget there is also involve thing that need to hold on to the nasi lemak to be transport to the aircraft those equipment are not cheap because it come in with air cooler which again include cost there. Then they don't simply rap in on the pandan leafs, so the containers need to be clean and hygiene, it cost incurs again. By the way nasi lemak on the plane also contribute to weight every KG add to the flight also mean burn more fuel, so anything that been pick up for the air plane like the trolley or food cart also contribute to weight which also a cost to the airlines. So all the above and other that I didn’t mention contribute to the cost of the nasi lemak. Hance out the nasi lemak now become RM15. B)

ANd how exactly did the same thing end up a little under RM6.00 for Economy class pax? :unsure: Subsidy?

To quote Aisehman:

Why does the cost of the cheapest nasi lemak (only RM5.85 if it is served in economy class) balloon to at least RM15.97 for the two higher classes?

If the nasi lemak is the same, why is the cost of procuring the nasi lemak for first, business and economy class not?

Unless MAS is talking about the total cost of serving nasi lemak (which would include not just the cost of the nasi lemak, but labour and other related costs as well) or the price charged to passengers, there should be no difference in the cost of the nasi lemak, regardless of the passenger class in which it is served.

Edited by H Azmal

Just thought I'd join in the fray :-)

The word "cost" has not been defined to make it clear to those involved in this discussion. Is it the cost to MAS for getting the nasi lemak on board the aircraft OR the cost of serving the nasi lemak to the various classes of passengers on board?

In the former case it shouldn't be different (between the different classes) if they come in the same containers. In the latter case, they would be different if the crockery (or plastic plates) on which they are served, the quantity served per pax or the manpower cost of the serving cabin crew are different.

In any case I do not think the inter-class difference should be as much as 3 times. It is also not logical to me to impute the fixed and indirect costs into the stated cost of the nasi lemak because the crockery (if it is china) can be re-used and meal serving is not a major portion of the cabin crew's working hours.

Quite right Attan - the term 'cost' has not been defined precisely enough, not when you get nit pickers like MW members around !

If one stretches one's imagination, you can read that it costs RM(figures quoted previously) to prepare the serving, but what is the actual price that is invoiced to MH ?!

I had this Nasi Lemak once on board to LHR or was it back to KUL? Anyway, it tastes quite good actually. The price seems reasonable lah...I guess for Business and First Class their portions are bigger and then they are served manually, plus they use different cutlery...those plates have extra cost like requires washing, takes more space on the plane, and higher class stewardess!

:p

Pardon my ignorance, but which other airline in the world serves nasi lemak on board ? If none, how to compare ?

(OK, one can purchase nasi lemak on board AK - it's also about RM15 per serving isn't it ?)

(OK, one can purchase nasi lemak on board AK - it's also about RM15 per serving isn't it ?)

AK Nasi Lemak !!!!!

Nasi Lemak Served with Tender Chicken Rendang and Sambal Sauce it about RM8 Maybe you need a cup of hot drink it about RM 4 Total.. RM 12

*Note The MH Nasi Lemak Is Better.. HahahahaHa

Edited by Ibrahim