MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin Ho

MAS KUL-PVG-KUL MH388/389 delays

All airlines facing flow control between South East Asia and China... not looking forward to my back to back PEK and PVG flights in August

What's wrong with MAS on this route? massive delays for past few days. Worried my wife's return flight is gonna be delayed.

SQ too facing similar issues on the PVG route. Not specific to MH.

Is this 'flow control' thing an issue that is likely to persist ?

Seeking advice since Nic has a 2:15 transit at CAN coming mid Sept and the scheduled flight time of 3:15 from BKI doesn't seem to have much padding for any potential ATC delays :)

Why is there so much delay? China ATC can't cope?

It's usual for airspace restrictions to be in force due to the priority accorded to the military

Thats why i hate flying into China. Flow control is one thing, it's so jurassic in these days. Too egoistic military mentality coupled with boom in commercial aviation. They just cant move on with times, in terms of freeing up airspace for civil control and use.

So, is this the reason when flights begin to enter mainland China, the routes become zig-zag?

I have seen so many of them in FR24, where so many large detours occur when you can reach that destination in just a straight line.

And is that the reason why certain flights like JT2633 from DPS have to stop at BKI before continuing on to XIY when non-stop journey could have been done?

Mainland China has very few Entry and exit points - and airlines must have approval to operate at the various entry points and accompanying routes.. one of the most congested is via Hong Kong FIR entering Guangzhou FIR via BEKOL... not only are these bottlenecks for traffic because of lateral separation requirements... most flights will need to transition to Metric FL requiring climbs and descents - further compounded by restricted North and southbound RVSM levels in the South China Sea at 310/320, 350/360 and 390/400... so there is a lot of criss crossing.. add into the mix ad-hoc military exercises or even weather and you have even more conservative spacing and timings...

More airspace needs to be released for civilian use.. one way of enhancing traffic but maintaining airspace availability for the PLA Air Force may be to offer flexi tracks every week in advance to permit optimal flight planning and scheduling.. this will help us limit fuel consumption and reign in costs while giving the airforce room to breathe too... unfortunately, easier said than done, but let's see.. the current is not manageable in the Long term, Nor really the short term.

My Uncle missed his connecting flight on ka to bki due to late arrival from yvr in hkg. Cx booked him on mh flights to kul and then kul to bki. Funny he went all the way south then back to north east. All of this is also due to traffic flow in china.

Why only recently has it been a problem though? I've not heard of such problems previously.

Always been there. You're just not hearing enough.

Edited by Walter Sim

Always been there. You're just not hearing enough.

Probably too common that nobody bothers.

Sign in to follow this