MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X may change A330neo order to A321LRs

AirAsia X is still considering whether to switch a tentative order for 34 Airbus A330neos to the longer-range (LR) version of the A321neo.

The Malaysia-based LCC already has 66 A330neos on firm order and reaffirmed its commitment to those orders in July. At the same time, AirAsia X signed an MOU with Airbus covering an additional 34 A330neos.

The MOU was originally referred to as an order when it was announced. Airbus said this follow-on deal will be included in its official orders list “once the airline board has given its approval for the transaction.” The November update of Airbus’ orders and deliveries list includes the 66 orders, but not the additional 34.

More here:

The airline’s fleet growth has been lower than expected this year. The AirAsia X Group had previously planned to add three A330s to its Malaysian operation and three to its joint venture in Thailand. However, the company adjusted the plan to instead add four to the Thai affiliate and none for Malaysia.

The quality of this article is not very good...

9M-XBD

9M-XBE

The quality of this article is not very good...

9M-XBD

9M-XBE

That struck me initially, but if u read the article properly, it was written in context of the information available in Q2 2018. D7 took delivery of XBD and XBE in Q4.

Perhaps a comfortable A321LR (32-33" seat pitch Y seat together with 2-1 flatbed seats for its premium service) can be considered for a KUL-MCT-LGW service.

As narrow body economics is superior to wide body, this might be a game changer even though stopping at MCT may cost 90 minutes in journey time. With the plane configured for around 180 pax, D7 can operate double daily services to LGW, making it more convenient for travellers.

Perhaps a comfortable A321LR (32-33" seat pitch Y seat together with 2-1 flatbed seats for its premium service) can be considered for a KUL-MCT-LGW service.
As narrow body economics is superior to wide body, this might be a game changer even though stopping at MCT may cost 90 minutes in journey time. With the plane configured for around 180 pax, D7 can operate double daily services to LGW, making it more convenient for travellers.

There's nothing game changing about returning to the days of same-plane single-aisle service to Europe via the Middle East.

And is D7 a high-yield luxury carrier or a bargain basement LCC? What are the odds of D7 adopting a J hard product that's even more premium than, say, AA's 32B? Plus a Y seat pitch that's even more generous than FSCs?

This could be a long haul (over 7 hour flight) configuration whereas AK's sardine can configuration is for sub 4 hour flights.

You really wanna burn Tonys money? ;-)

If they wanna do KUL-LGW they will do that with an 330neo!

As i said i expect that they use the 330neo first out of DMK to euorpe.

For the 321LR, expect more routes like KUL-Cairns, KUL-Nagoya or KUL-Adelaide and KUL-Karachi maybe.

Flydubai style?

I think theirs is 2-2 recliners, not lie flat.

You really wanna burn Tonys money? ;-)

If they wanna do KUL-LGW they will do that with an 330neo!

As i said i expect that they use the 330neo first out of DMK to euorpe.

For the 321LR, expect more routes like KUL-Cairns, KUL-Nagoya or KUL-Adelaide and KUL-Karachi maybe.

Yes, those 6+ hour routes are prime targets for the A321LR.

However, I think a double daily A321 service to LGW is probably more appealing than a single A330, schedule wise - that is assuming they are able to secure LGW slots.

Sign in to follow this