MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
lionel

Malindo Aircraft & Fleet Discussion

maybe it's time for them to start flying wide bodies to cater for those long haul flights, transit flight may not be an issue with leisure traveller but business travellers may think otherwise

A330's may be coming online next year on wards. Over heard rumour somewhere in March. Lets wait and see.

Edited by Raj

Yes, more competition. Winner: consumers! Lion Air should have ordered more A333; the current 3 A333 are used heavily by them on domestic and JED run. Or OD can easily lease some A333 from pre-owned market which is seeing quite a number of A330 being released. Before doing so, Lion Group/ OD needs to have a strong positive branding, which is substantially lacking compared to red camp.

I think ex-SQ A333s are still available, and perhaps ex Skymark ones too. But they may need to be switched to a higher density configuration. As Malindo is now a FSC, I think a setup with about 300-330 seats might be the way to go...

I think ex-SQ A333s are still available, and perhaps ex Skymark ones too. But they may need to be switched to a higher density configuration. As Malindo is now a FSC, I think a setup with about 300-330 seats might be the way to go...

SQ A333 have been snapped up already, unless we are talking about the two ex-SQ A333 to be released from GE. Or SQ would shed more in near future.

All Skymark's A333 had all gone to TK (7) and Air Europa (3).

They may look at ex-EK or TAM which all are in pretty bad condition

SQ A333 have been snapped up already, unless we are talking about the two ex-SQ A333 to be released from GE. Or SQ would shed more in near future.

All Skymark's A333 had all gone to TK (7) and Air Europa (3).

They may look at ex-EK or TAM which all are in pretty bad condition

Trans Asia Airways of Taiwan is offloading 2 of their 4 A333..

so maybe they can grab those GE's birds.

If they think out of the box, they could consider picking up some A350s that were recently cancelled by airlines like Sri Lankan and others. They might also want to consider A321neo LR aircraft for their thin routes.

Trans Asia Airways of Taiwan is offloading 2 of their 4 A333..

so maybe they can grab those GE's birds.

As per my comment earlier, those two Trans Asia Airways (GE) A333 are ex-SQ too.

If they think out of the box, they could consider picking up some A350s that were recently cancelled by airlines like Sri Lankan and others. They might also want to consider A321neo LR aircraft for their thin routes.

I don't think they are capable enough to induct A350 is such short notice. As for A321neoLR, they need to get into the queue with the rest. Airbus is oversold on those, unless they want some earlier built

Many A340 are available though.....It will kill them.....

I don't think they are capable enough to induct A350 is such short notice. As for A321neoLR, they need to get into the queue with the rest. Airbus is oversold on those, unless they want some earlier built

Many A340 are available though.....It will kill them.....

Like I said, that is for out of the box thinking - anything is possible if you are focused on the objectives. A321neo LR can come of lessors' books, no need to order directly. I note that Malindo has stopped taking B739s - this aircraft does not seem to suit their network so well. The latest aircraft that were delivered are ex Batik Air B738s.

A343s are not that bad provided they don't fly so far away. So, if they are planning to do JED, it should be OK provided oil prices remain low. Could be used as a short gap measure pending the arrival of A339neo or A359.

A343s are bad. Period. No matter how long or short. The maintenace and four engines combined with slow cruising speed are no match to the A330 economics.

A343s are bad. Period. No matter how long or short. The maintenace and four engines combined with slow cruising speed are no match to the A330 economics.

I suppose the A343 lease rates should be way lower than A333s - so the total costs may not be that different.

They are currently planning a one stop service with B739. Which is better, A343 or B739?

B739. Hands down. Fuel. Payload-to-match-sector demands, especially considering it's very much O&D traffic. Crew training. Lower Airport landing and apron fees. Quicker turnaround times. With a 737 they can very quickly boost route frequency if market forces are present - which is what the travelling comfort are shifting toward as preference.

A343 is sorry to say, a has-been. Further reiterated by the fact there is not even a cargo conversion option for the frame (given other more valuable choices, including the MD-11)

Based on what is said above, I guess Malindo Air will not be deploying wide bodies for now as the B739 is way superior, even with one stop.

I'm just wondering how is the load on OD's twice daily (?) flight to Perth? Dreadful on a narrow body for 5 hours?

I'm just wondering how is the load on OD's twice daily (?) flight to Perth? Dreadful on a narrow body for 5 hours?

It is not that bad on OD seat pitch.

Batik air pk-lbr now at subang for malindo

Maybe it will wear 9m-lce

It is; since the ex Batik 738 are 9M-LC*

I have taken MH B737 for close to 4 hours, and to be honest, i prefer OD's 737 anytime. The pitch is better.

How about OD 739 vs D7 A330?

How about OD 739 vs D7 A330?

Pitch should be about the same, OD maybe a bit better. I endured close to 9 hours on D7 A330 from SYD (extra travel time due to strong headwind) while the feeling of space is there due to the widebody, I found myself deperately missing the IFE. I did not stock my phone with stuffs, and I could not sleep. Had nothing to do. Was so elated when I saw the islands around Batam and Singapore came into view. Except for the toilets, I dont think spending a long flight on OD will be a problem especially since they are now an FSC Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Interesting so just to confirm OD have acquired 3 ex Batik B738's -LCC, LCD and LCE?

I'm flying OD PER-KUL-PEN-KUL-PER in August all on B738's, first time I've flown them since flying KCH-KUL back in March 2013 on their second day of operations.

What is further interesting is OD did a lot of advertising here specifically promoting B739ER's operating the route with wifi etc, which didn't occur and only a couple have visited, since then PER is exclusively operated by -LNW, LNV and LNY.....are the rest of their fleet none ETOPS/EDTO rated??

Interesting so just to confirm OD have acquired 3 ex Batik B738's -LCC, LCD and LCE?

I'm flying OD PER-KUL-PEN-KUL-PER in August all on B738's, first time I've flown them since flying KCH-KUL back in March 2013 on their second day of operations.

What is further interesting is OD did a lot of advertising here specifically promoting B739ER's operating the route with wifi etc, which didn't occur and only a couple have visited, since then PER is exclusively operated by -LNW, LNV and LNY.....are the rest of their fleet none ETOPS/EDTO rated??

Hey Tom...what's up buddy? Quick question...any problems buying OD's ticket using Aussie issued card? Sorry OT a little bit...

LCC already in service, LCD & LCE at Airod SZB ...

LNH, LNJ, LNK, LNL, LNP, LNW, LNV and LNY are EDTO rated.

Edited by Jinprayer

A330 production list is now showing MSN1816 being assigned to Malindo/ Batik Air Malaysia. Being premium carrier, we should be seeing mix of J and Y class. Unlike JT's, 440Y!