MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

PSC at klia2 for international destinations beyond Asean up 46% to RM73 from January

KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 30): Passengers flying out of klia2 in Sepang will pay 46% more in passenger service charge (PSC), or commonly known as airport tax, for international destinations beyond Asean as the rate will be increased to RM73, from the current RM50, effective Jan 1 next year.

This is part of a move to level the playing field for airlines operating in Malaysia and end nearly a decade of discord between full-service carriers and their budget counterpart AirAsia Bhd over the different rates.

In a statement today, the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) announced the completion of a full equalisation of the PSC to be implemented across the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, klia2 and all other airports in Malaysia.

The revised PSC will be applicable to tickets issued from Jan 1 onwards and will not affect tickets issued prior to that date, even if the date of travel takes place on or after Jan 1, 2018.

Full report:

KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 30): Passengers flying out of klia2 in Sepang will pay 46% more in passenger service charge (PSC), or commonly known as airport tax, for international destinations beyond Asean as the rate will be increased to RM73, from the current RM50, effective Jan 1 next year.

This is part of a move to level the playing field for airlines operating in Malaysia and end nearly a decade of discord between full-service carriers and their budget counterpart AirAsia Bhd over the different rates.

In a statement today, the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) announced the completion of a full equalisation of the PSC to be implemented across the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, klia2 and all other airports in Malaysia.

The revised PSC will be applicable to tickets issued from Jan 1 onwards and will not affect tickets issued prior to that date, even if the date of travel takes place on or after Jan 1, 2018.

Full report:

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/psc-rate-klia2-international-destinations-beyond-asean-46-rm73-jan-2018

For facilities at klia2 and revised price, it is basically a rip off, milking the goose laying golden egg. Edited by KK Lee

This news about proposed additional RM35 for Advance Passenger Screening System charged to passenfers. Terrible if really implemented.

https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/404011

Yes, this confirms that the Malaysian government is bankrupt! It is a border enforcement activity and should fall under the Home Ministry. I also wonder why it costs MYR 8 billion here when it costs around AUD 80 million in Australia. A real ripoff!

Edited by flee

Can anyone explain klia2’s service charge hike?

THOSE travelling to international destinations beyond Asean countries from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2) terminal will have to pay the same passenger service charge (PSC) of RM73 as other airports from January 2018.

But the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) has not explained the reason for the hike except to say it wants to equalise the charges with other airports.
That would be fine except there are very few airports that have international flights beyond Asean countries. And those airports are KLIA, Penang, Langkawi, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching.
These are full-service airport terminals, designed as airports, and not as a hybrid airport, whatever that is. After all, klia2 was first designed as a low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) to replace the old one before cost over-runs made it a "hybrid", with a shopping mall attached to it.
Be that as it may, Mavcom, which was set up in March 2016 as "an independent economic regulator for the civil aviation industry", has done only one thing to the public – making sure they pay more for their flights.
It started with the RM1 additional charge for Mavcom to generate revenue, and now it wants to equalise charges for terminals that have international flights.
What else has it done so far for the passengers? It is in the midst of writing up a Quality of Service (QoS) manual for airport managers and airports, but that will take some time.
So, what does it do first before passengers get quality service? It hikes up charges first in a cheap-looking and uncomfortable terminal that does not measure up to any other international airports in the country.
How out of touch are the people nominated to sit on Mavcom's board? The list of commissioners and officials show they have experience but not empathy for the common passenger.
Mavcom says it has taken the views from stakeholders before setting the new PSC for international flights in klia2, but it has not provided any justification except to say it wants to equalise the charges.
That is a poor reason to hike up the PSC. If that is the case, why does Malaysia even need Mavcom? Leave it to the airport managers to decide for themselves rather than some authority that exists thus far to extract money from passengers.
The Mavcom board needs to get out of their offices in downtown Kuala Lumpur and set up shop in klia2 to see the facilities there and compare them with the other terminals in Malaysia.
The Skypark in Subang was built better for passengers, considering it was designed and built years ago by the Public Works Department, rather than the tender process that created the monstrosity of klia2.
It remains a badly designed airport, and calling it a hybrid is just a polite way of calling it a Frankenstein monster, with travelators put in as an afterthought that make the corridors even narrower.
And saying that the PSC rates in Malaysia are among the lowest doesn't mean a thing when the quality is also that low.
Mavcom must give better reasons to hike up charges or just disband because the commission is costing people more than anything it has done to benefit passengers. – December 2, 2017.
Source:

4PAM wants explanation for 46% PSC hike

PETALING JAYA: The Public Transport Users Association (4PAM) today hit out at the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) over the 46% increase in passenger service charges (PSC), saying it owes an explanation to the people.

4PAM president Ajit Johl asked how Mavcom had arrived at a stage where it needed to tax users in order to fund its operations.

“What has happened to the revenue that it has collected from the Air Service Licence, Air Service Permit, Aerodrome Operator Licence and Ground Handling Licence?” he said in a statement.

“Mavcom must explain to users, how does the PSC translate into facilities improvement? How do users get refunds for journeys not performed?

“If a ticket is bought in January for a travel period in December, who becomes the legal custodian of the PSC and in whose accounts are the PSC funds kept?

“How much initial funding was allocated, and how and where was it spent? It is the rakyat’s money, they (Mavcom) must be held accountable.”

Last Thursday, Mavcom said all PSCs will be fully equalised and implemented at every airport in Malaysia.

From Jan 1 next year, the PSC rate for all international destinations from any Malaysian airport will be RM73, up from RM50 at non-Asean international destinations from klia2.

All other PSC rates will remain unchanged.

Tickets issued prior to Jan 1, 2018 are not subject to the new rate, regardless of the date of travel.

Mavcom said this change was due to the results of a 2017 review which took into account industry feedback.

Ajit, who has voiced concern over the PSC hike before, said Mavcom appeared to be turning into a tax body instead of an aviation commission that was meant to protect consumers.

He also asked how the rationalisation was done when Mavcom’s quality of service framework only begins in 2018.

He also slammed reports that the government may impose a new form of security tax known as the Advance Passenger Screening System (APSS), saying there must be more transparency in its implementation.

“Above this, Mavcom will soon start charging RM1 for every departing passenger to finance its operations since the government stopped its funding.

“These taxes are over and above the GST, and users can’t always be made to pay for tax.

“Bear in mind that most of the passengers fly low-cost, and these taxes will have an impact on travellers.”

In August, Ajit had called for detailed information and a breakdown of PSC collection and utilisation, and how users who are unable to take a flight can get a refund.

“Mavcom is proposing to tax users for its financial sustenance, but is unable to disclose its operating cost. How can a commission tax users to finance its operations?” he said then.

Speaking today, he said Malaysia could not afford another situation where it was nearly impossible for passengers to get refunds from an airline that went bust.

He added that Mavcom should emulate entities such as the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), the Energy Commission, the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) and the Securities Commission, which do not depend on consumers for funding.

“They impose fees on operators and manage their operations from those fees. Mavcom should look in that direction instead of getting travellers to fork out money to sustain them,” he said.

He also called on Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai and Prime Minister Najib Razak to suspend the increase in PSC and hold the APSS and departure tax until all issues are clarified.

Source:

the gomen need to pay compensation money to PLUS for abolishment of 2 toll plazas...where does the rakyat think the money will come from?? when they give some they'll surely take some back or even more....sad truth about malaysia.

Higher cost of flying

Just as the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) has just announced the increase of Passenger Service Charge (PSC) for klia2 with effect from January next year, there are talks the government will be introducing Advance Passenger Screening System (APSS) that may require the passengers to pay additional RM35 anti-terror fee.
Such developments have sparked the discontent of the travel industry as well as travelers who question the rationality of increasing the PSC and charging additional RM35 for boosting security at airports.
According to Mavcom's statement, PSC for all international flights from klia2, with the exception of flights to Asean destinations, will be increased from RM50 to RM73 with effect from January 1 next year to be the same as that charged at KLIA.

See more: http://www.mysinchew.com/node/118780?tid=12

Meaning asean flights rate stay the same. And also domestics. Only those far reaching flights affected. I believe those taking long haul flights beyond asean are not poor people. And the rates already applied to KLIA airlines. Suddenly when AK flights get the hike, everyone goes beserk...

Meaning asean flights rate stay the same. And also domestics. Only those far reaching flights affected. I believe those taking long haul flights beyond asean are not poor people. And the rates already applied to KLIA airlines. Suddenly when AK flights get the hike, everyone goes beserk...

It is not about ak but klia2.

It is not about ak but klia2.

Much have been said about klia2 - but in all honesty, I don't get the moaning from my own experience of using the airport.

Yes, it's not Changi - but it's certainly not the cowshed that is LCCT. I don't think it's fair for AK to have such an advantage of lower PSCs when they no longer have the disadvantage of operating from the cowshed.

Much have been said about klia2 - but in all honesty, I don't get the moaning from my own experience of using the airport.

Yes, it's not Changi - but it's certainly not the cowshed that is LCCT. I don't think it's fair for AK to have such an advantage of lower PSCs when they no longer have the disadvantage of operating from the cowshed.

Exactly my point. Now passengers tend to choose KLIA2 over KLIA because of the newer condition. And the shopping mall in KLIA2 is better compared to high end shops in KLIA MTB.

Now passengers tend to choose KLIA2 over KLIA because of the newer condition

T2 may be newer but it's not necessarily better than T1. Regardless, I don't know of anyone who chooses which airline to fly out of KUL purely based on the terminal it operates from.

Edited by Chris Tan

Exactly my point. Now passengers tend to choose KLIA2 over KLIA because of the newer condition. And the shopping mall in KLIA2 is better compared to high end shops in KLIA MTB.

Among all the terminals I have visited, find klia2 is among the worst if not the worst for a modern terminal in term of users friendliness and ergonomic e.g. number of turn, change of level, walking distance, inadequate immigration area, inefficient queuing time, etc. klia2 is probably the case study for what shouldn't be designed for terminal.

Shopping and eating amenities at klia2 is great although the general layout and design aspect of the terminal can be confusing for travellers... I personally prefer J pier than K pier (why on earth you need to go up and down just to reach your gate?) so, confusing...

Shopping and eating amenities at klia2 is great although the general layout and design aspect of the terminal can be confusing for travellers... I personally prefer J pier than K pier (why on earth you need to go up and down just to reach your gate?) so, confusing...

On k pier, one flight of escalator is common sense in term of traffic flow. The two flight of escalator are nothing more than just to inconvenience pax.

Now passengers tend to choose KLIA2 over KLIA because of the newer condition. And the shopping mall in KLIA2 is better compared to high end shops in KLIA MTB.

As far as I am concerned, I don't go to klia2 to shop or to have my lunch. I go there to catch a flight. Right now, I do not feel the level of passenger service is equal to that of MTB. So I should be paying less service charge for it. Paying the same would mean that I will subsidise the passengers travelling via the MTB. It also serves as a disincentive for MAHB to improve the situation at klia2.

The airlines also encounter service difficulties unique to klia2. However, that is not my problem - I am only concerned as a passenger and how it affects me.

Edited by flee

T2 may be newer but it's not necessarily better than T1. Regardless, I don't know of anyone who chooses which airline to fly out of KUL purely based on the terminal it operates from.

I do actually; I tend to avoid any airline that flies out or lands into KLIA2, too far of a walk for my aged, arthritic joints.

I tend to take a train ride to KLIA2 even if my flight depart from KLIA. That is provided I have enough time to spare. There is just more things to do there, and more lively. More food options, plus a open air observation deck.

Its all about personal preferences really. Going back to the topic. I dont think people who forked out hundreds of ringgit to buy international ticket would be bothered with the rm 23 hike.same like waiping, Ive always spared 3-4 hours pre departure whenever I fly out of KLIA to visit KLIA2 and also the Mitsui Factory Outlet.

If you add the RM 23 to RM 35 (which MTB pax will also pay), that is hefty increase.

Edited by flee

I do actually; I tend to avoid any airline that flies out or lands into KLIA2, too far of a walk for my aged, arthritic joints.

Ditto. Just hate the terminal for many reasons, long 2km track to the last gate on a 'suey' luck day included. One of my aviation resolution for the past 3 years is to avoid the terminal.

Edited by V Wong

Its all about personal preferences really. Going back to the topic. I dont think people who forked out hundreds of ringgit to buy international ticket would be bothered with the rm 23 hike.same like waiping, Ive always spared 3-4 hours pre departure whenever I fly out of KLIA to visit KLIA2 and also the Mitsui Factory Outlet.

Airport/Terminal is a node in transportation network, traffic flow via the most efficient, shortest and lowest cost route. Those who could spend a few hours leisurely at airport, efficiency is unimportant.

Had a flight from dmk and transferring for onward flight to bki with fd and Ak last year and I am not taking it again. 0 presence of money changer throughout walking that long long sky bridge and no cafe to sit n drink around k gates these were plentiful at klia1 regional and satelite.

Would've prefer if klia2 couldve had more retail outlets and restaurants in the airside area and sky bridge instead of congesting pax to walk through a shopping mall prior to check in counters. That's how SIN and BKK got it right everything is after security and check in process and retail outlets don't cramp the walk path to your departing gates. Over here everything seems forced and slotted in especially with the recent facelift in klia1 satellite.

Edited by jahur

Sign in to follow this