MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Firefly flights at AUD3!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/travel/new-b...5366369634.html

New budget airline offers $3 dollar flights

April 5, 2007 - 9:56AM

Low-cost carrier Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, has started commercial operations with ticket prices as low as $US2.60 ($3.19).

Its first passengers flew out of the island resort of Penang, officials said.

Firefly, Malaysia's second low-cost airline after AirAsia, will use two 50-seater Fokker Friendship aircraft.

Initially, the airline will fly from its base in Penang to the Malaysian cities of Kota Baru, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan and Langkawi. From April 13, the airline will also fly daily to the Thai resort islands of Phuket and Koh Samui.

"We will take this step by step," Firefly chief executive Eddy Leong told The Associated Press by phone. "Signs are it's very successful."

The airline has offered 2000 free one-way tickets, and more may be handed out if there is demand, Leong said. Passengers have to pay taxes and surcharges.

Normal ticket prices start from $US2.60 for national flights and from $US10.40 to Thailand.

Firefly's online booking will start from mid-May, Leong said. Until then, a call centre and Malaysia Airlines ticketing offices will handle all bookings.

Firefly is a unit of national carrier Malaysian Airline (MAS), which has been struggling to make profits while competing with AirAsia for short-haul regional routes.

Firefly is managed separately from MAS, which is in the middle of a restructuring plan that is expected to help it return to profitability this year.

AirAsia, which started in late 2001 and revolutionised air travel in Southeast Asia, services some 15 destinations in Malaysia and about 20 in the region, according to the company's Web site.

AP

Edited by Keith T

US$2.60?! :blink:

That's very cheap, cheaper than buying a gallon of milk here (US$3.10) :mellow: :o

how much does it costs taxes and surcharges ?

Their online booking engine is now available. But my first attempt showed a mistake.

KUA is stated as "Kuantan Padang Geroda Airport (KUA), Kuantan "

Where did they get that?

how much does it costs taxes and surcharges ?

For domestic flights, u need to add admin fee, fuel surcharge, insurance surcharge (these go to the airline) & airport tax, totalling an extra RM46.40 per pax per one way.

I understand the nonsense re. fuel surcharge, but why is admin fee and insurance surcharge separate from the "fare"? Do these fluctuate every week? With online booking, there shouldn't be any admin fee in the first place.

KUA is stated as "Kuantan Padang Geroda Airport (KUA), Kuantan "

Interesting. The civil terminal is called Lapangan Terbang Sultan Ahmad Shah. But Kuantan airport is actually a military airport, with the civilian part occupying only a tiny part. Geroda = garuda?. Never heard of Padang Geroda though.

Sorry for being off-topic.

It's not a mistake. The area where the Kuantan Airport is is Kg. Pdg. Geroda (this I know from years of reading secondary school atlas when I was younger. Ha! :lol: ).

It's not a mistake. The area where the Kuantan Airport is is Kg. Pdg. Geroda (this I know from years of reading secondary school atlas when I was younger. Ha! :lol: ).

Interesting - It may not be a mistake in terms of geographical location but it is a mistake in terms of its name, which should be Kuantan Sultan Ahmad Shah airport.

So did Firefly pick-up a 1970's booking engine?

If I remember correctly KUA was not known as Sultan Ahmad Shah Airport until the shift to the then-new terminal further away from the main road.

Guest Levent

"Firefly, Malaysia's second low-cost airline after AirAsia, will use two 50-seater Fokker Friendship aircraft"

Interesting that no one has reacted to this yet. I never heard a Fokker 50 being called a Friendship. The Fokker F27 was known as Friendship and the F28 as Fellowship, but the Fokker 50, 70 and 100 never received such names AFAIK.

By the way, at the Firefly inaugural ceremony last week, the speaker also called the aircraft Fokker Friendship - he never mentioned the designation Fokker 50.

Sign in to follow this