MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Azri M.

British Airways 777 crashed at Heathrow

Haha, this one is not a tale like the other topic I started....

Breaking news!

Passenger plane 'crashes off runway' at Heathrow Airport

Last updated at 13:42pm on 17th January 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

A passenger plane has careered off the runway at Heathrow Airport.

Emergency services were scrambled to Terminal Four after the Boeing 777 landed short of the runway.

Passengers were told by the pilot to adopt the brace position before the plane hit the ground, scattering debris in its wake and tearing off a piece of one wing.

All flights into and out of the airport suffered delays, including a flight due to take Prime Minister Gordon Brown to China.

Many flights have been delayed and the southern runway remains closed.

BAJetPA_468x258.jpg

The stricken plane at Heathrow Airport Detectives in the Prime Minister's motorcade, who witnessed the incident, at first worried that the plane was being flown towards Gordon Brown's entourage, sparking fears of a terrorist attack.

The incident is likely to cause lengthy delays to flights for several hours.

The craft involved is a British Airways 777, BA38, aircraft heading for Beijing and it is not yet known whether there are any casualties.

A British Airways spokesman said the aeroplane landed short of the runway.

crash4L1701_468x262.jpg

Emergency slides were used for the evacuation

crashL1701_468x313.jpg

One eyewitness said he saw the plane coming in at a steep angle and it appeared to have a problem with the undercarriage.

Passengers are believed to have been evacuated with emergency slides and three were thought to have been treated for minor injuries.

All the airport's fire engines were present at the scene.

Daily Mail Political Editor Benedict Brogan, who is on the Prime Minister's plane said: "I can see the plane has come off the runway due to a lack of undercarriage. It is sitting at an odd angle."

"From where I sit it's come down at a bad angle and one of the wings appears to have been damaged. It's in the grass and the slides are down.

"The BA airbus from Shanghai we are told is surrounded by fire engines but there is no sign of smoke."

The pilot on the Prime minister's plane described the incident to passengers as "a significant incident".

HeathrowAriel_468x312.jpg

The plane missed the runway at Terminal Four (file picture)

Eyewitness John Rowland said: "The plane's wheels collapsed. On its approach it took the runway too low, just missing the roof of my cab.

"It crashed into the runway, debris was flying everywhere, there was an enormous bang and it skidded sideways."

The northern runway later re-opened and the Prime Minister's plane was given permission to take off.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Police were called at 12.43pm to reports of an incident involving an aircraft on the southern runway at Heathrow Airport."We understand that all passengers and crew are currently being evacuated.

"There are no reports of any persons seriously injured at this time.

"There is nothing to suggest at this stage that the incident is in any way terrorist-related."

There was no smoke visible from the plane, which was surrounded by emergency vehicles.

The crashed plane stopped about 1,000 metres from the Prime Minister's plane.

Accompanying the Prime Minister on his flight to China were around 30 political journalists.

Also on the plane bound for Beijing was Olympic gold medallist Dame Kelly Holmes.

At 1.20pm passengers were told to take their seats for the delayed departure.

A spokesman for BAA, owners of Heathrow, said: "Passengers have been evacuated and Heathrow's southern runway has been closed."

British Airways issued a number for people concerned about relatives on the flight: 0800 389 4193

Edited by Azri M.

Oh dear!

Just after i heard news about an electrical issue of BA's Airbus, this happens! Bad bad day for BA. Til now Kudos to the pilots for landing the plane safely, no serious injuries to passengers..

Is this caused by the weather maybe? Windshear? Weather in London is shite this few days...

Edited by Walter Sim

Ouch...that may be a write-off.

Never expected BA to take the honour of having the first 777 (in comercial ops) to be written off.

Always thought it would be some Gagagogo Airlines...

The incident is likely to cause lengthy delays to flights for several hours.

Such a serious incident at Heathrow of all places and they expect delays in order of "hours" only - exceedingly optimistic estimation you must admit !

Not looking good

looks like a W/O damage.

Did the aircraft crashland on the grass ad enter the runway or did it landed from the other side and have the 180 drift???

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

Landed few hundred yards before the runway, just after the perimeter and approach lights. Stop exactly at the runway...

Weather seems to be ruled out at the moment, might be power loss from engines?

The plane landed well short of 27L and came to a rest at the start of the runway itself (at the spot marked '+' in pic below).

ba38lhrtq9.jpg

Luckily there's a lot of space between the A30 road and the start of 27L. Btw that spot along A30 is popular with spotters, so expect some spectacular pics to appear soon.

Goodbye, G-YMMM...I'm glad no one was seriously hurt, she was the first BA 777 I ever got to photograph barely 6 months ago

Edited by Liam Gibb

It's pretty amazing that the T7 manage a full stop before hitting the runway, despite the short length where it short landed at...but poor engines looks so shredded there.. really reminds me of the Gading Sari incident exactly a year ago. I wonder what happened??!!! :blink:

Oh my... hope everyone onboard the flight were okay. Another of my close colleague is flying off this Saturday, KUL-BAH-LHR, hopefully there will be no more mishaps there in Heathrow Airport, whether its weather or some other.

Maybe it's just me but although the news did mentioned that the most probable cause is 'not in any way terrorist-related', but it ironically kept highlighting the Prime Minister, and I was almost talking to myself, "Who cares about the PM, tell me more details of the aircraft and the people onboard!". Its like a subtle national threat news. Not everything is about terrorist these days. Well... again, this is just me and my honest opinion. For example, instead of mentioning the incident was 1km away from the PM's plane, it says 1,000 meters. More shock-factor with smaller scale measurement, I guess. -_-

i just search the weather condition during the incident occur

weather doesn't look good but still OK to certain limitation

EGLL 171250Z 20013KT 9999 BKN008 10/08 Q0996 BECMG 24018G28KT SCT012 BKN020

Conditions at: EGLL (LONDON/HEATHROW, GB) observed 1250 UTC 17 January 2008

Temperature: 10.0°C (50°F)

Dewpoint: 8.0°C (46°F) [RH = 87%]

Pressure (altimeter): 29.41 inches Hg (996.0 mb)

Winds: from the SSW (200 degrees) at 15 MPH (13 knots; 6.8 m/s)

Visibility: 6 or more miles (10+ km)

Ceiling: 800 feet AGL

Clouds: broken clouds at 800 feet AGL

Weather: no significant weather observed at this time

METAR text: EGLL 171220Z 21014KT 180V240 9999 SCT008 BKN010 09/08 Q0997 TEMPO 21018G28KT 4000 RADZ BKN008

Conditions at: EGLL (LONDON/HEATHROW, GB) observed 1220 UTC 17 January 2008

Temperature: 9.0°C (48°F)

Dewpoint: 8.0°C (46°F) [RH = 93%]

Pressure (altimeter): 29.44 inches Hg (997.0 mb)

Winds: from the SSW (210 degrees) at 16 MPH (14 knots; 7.3 m/s)

Visibility: 6 or more miles (10+ km)

Ceiling: 1000 feet AGL

Clouds: scattered clouds at 800 feet AGL

broken clouds at 1000 feet AGL

Weather: no significant weather observed at this time

TEMPO winds..

210 degree 18knots Gusting 28knots Rain Drizzle..low cloud at 800 feet with visibility 4000meters

... I was almost talking to myself, "Who cares about the PM, tell me more details of the aircraft and the people onboard!"... Not everything is about terrorist these days...

I have to agree with this! People love to speculate... :huh:

I'm more interested in the cause of the disaster. Mechanical failure?? What was wrong with the landing gear? Someone left his spanner inside the wheel well??

Go on investigators! :clapping:

So is this an opportunity for MH to lease out one of its widebodies (& enhance the bottomline by making money on non-airline ops) to BA as a short-term replacement?

Travellers fear delays and frustration

By Marie Jackson

BBC News

Holidaymakers travelling out of Heathrow's Terminal 4 are bracing themselves for a night of delays and frustration.

The crash-landing of a British Airways jet just short of the south runway has led to major delays, many cancellations and has forced travellers to make alternative arrangements.

Some passengers said that staff given the job of keeping them up-to-date had been short on information.

One tannoy announcement, however, said all short-haul European flights had been cancelled and passengers should leave the terminal as soon as possible.

This came as bad news for solicitors Stuart O'Brien and Juliet Loftus who were booked on to a BA flight to Geneva for three days of skiing.

"We've been told nothing at all. They're just dishing out letters telling us to try re-booking our flights on their website, which is not a lot of use," Mr O'Brien said.

"We have taken time off work, so we are going to try to find another airline to take us there."

Circling above

Friends Rike Kuesgen and Henrike Schlesinger found themselves in a similar position.

Travelling home to Germany after a seven-week holiday in Australia, they first knew something was wrong when their transit flight from Hong Kong circled above Heathrow for an hour.

On landing they were told they could not fly to Frankfurt, so Miss Kuesgen's mother back home in Cologne scoured the internet to find the pair another flight.

"We have been told that there are no flights and we have to stay somewhere overnight, but no-one will say if we have to pay for it," Miss Kuesgen said.

"We have been travelling for 18 hours already and are a bit tired. It would have been nice to catch our flight, but they [the airlines] can't do anything about it."

Other passengers were similarly philosophical about the delays.

Motorway trek

Libby Lawrence and a team of 19 fundraisers were on their way to Tanzania to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.

They were all set for the challenge but could never have guessed they would face one on the way to the airport.

Several of the group found themselves trekking along the side of the M4 and several slip roads after police told their taxi driver he could travel no further.

"With the amount of luggage we have, it was bit tricky," said Ms Lawrence.

"One of the group was turned away altogether from the airport, and thought there had been a terrorist attack."

The delay to their flight to Dar es Salaam had not caused too much panic though.

"We have already had to change our route because of all the trouble in Kenya, so we're almost having a bit of a giggle about this," Ms Lawrence added.

Some passengers may be able to get away before dawn after Heathrow announced it had been given special permission to run night flights to help ease the backlog.

From the BBC

Maybe it's just me but although the news did mentioned that the most probable cause is 'not in any way terrorist-related', but it ironically kept highlighting the Prime Minister, and I was almost talking to myself, "Who cares about the PM, tell me more details of the aircraft and the people onboard!". Its like a subtle national threat news. Not everything is about terrorist these days. Well... again, this is just me and my honest opinion. For example, instead of mentioning the incident was 1km away from the PM's plane, it says 1,000 meters. More shock-factor with smaller scale measurement, I guess. -_-

This is the UK Daily Mail we're reading here... fairly typical of them to emphasise sensational news.

Wow!! :blink: The first 777 crash in the world... :o

But well done for captain and fo... :good:

No serious injuries for the passengers and the crew themselves...

But wat's happening actually? <_>

And i always think sth...

Y every crash of the plane got famous ppl or government ppl? :huh:

Isn't tat obvious?