MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Istanbul Ataturk Attacked by Terrorists; 41 Killed, 239 Injured

Istanbul (CNN)[Latest developments, published at 8:18 p.m. ET]

--At least 36 people were killed in the terror attack at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said. "The signs point to Daesh but the investigation is ongoing," he said. Daesh is another name for ISIS.

--Another 147 people were wounded, Turkey's Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said. Three bombers were also killed, Istanbul Gov. Vasip Sahin said. A total of 49 ambulances were sent to the site.

-- There has been no immediate claim of responsibility.

--Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for a unified international fight against terrorism, saying: "Make no mistake: For terrorist organizations, there is no difference between Istanbul and London, Ankara and Berlin, Izmir and Chicago or Antalya and Rome. Unless all government and the entire mankind join forces in the fight against terrorism, much worse things than what we fear to imagine today will come true."

-- CNN journalist Joe Duran said from the airport that "Police are not letting anyone in ... Hundreds of people are flooding away from airport... People are trying to get away. They're not saying much -- just the look on their face is enough, shock, some of them bleeding..."

"People are walking away bleeding, with bandages on their head."

-- Traveler Laurence Cameron described what he saw after he stepped off a plane: "It was just a massive crowd of screaming people. Some were falling over themselves. A poor chap in a wheelchair was just left, and everyone just rushed to the back of the building, and then people ran the other way and no one really seemed to know what was going on," he told CNN. "Where you normally hail a taxi, that is where the attack happened. The ground is just kind of shredded. There is bloodstains on the floor as well."

-- Turkey's Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag earlier said one terrorist "first opened fire with a Kalashnikov then detonated himself."

More:

Unless all airports secure their public/landside area and allow only pax to enter, this will keep happening. For now, finish whatever you need to do at landside or check in and get the hell into departure quickly.

Prayers and thoughts are with the family. Those who are responsible for this attacks are bastards and deserved to be punished severely!

This is one of the many attacks Turkey has been going through for past few months. Turkish Airlines thus far has not been affected; this major one will definitely do some damages.

Turkish Airlines has been adding at least two to three new jets every month, with 5 A321ceo, 7 more B738NG, 7 A333E and 4 more B77W coming before year end. Boggles your mind how much TK has grown over the years!

It was terrific attack to Ataturk Airport. We are very sad about that. Isis (or Daes) is insistent take into war to Turkey last 2-3 years. Foreign press doesn't interest about rocket fire and small attacks, firing from syrian border tor Turkey. Isis continuesly annoying to Turkey. I don't know what will be happend in near future.

Btw, something takes my attention. Very interesting, those CNN reporters were in every attack in Turkey before local reporters! How it could be? In every bombing or events, never missed!....CNN reporters are the first in there! (some times BBC)...you can say "conspiracy theory" or not, it takes my attention.

Horrible horrible time for turkey. Hope you guys stay safe......I love Istanbul, one of my favourite cities ever. Reminds me of home

Edited by Izanee

Sign in to follow this