MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

KLIA Wins 2006 World Best Airport Award

Incheon is nice, that I won't argue with. :)

See press release here:

http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/display/ma...-46^12875_9_2__

+++

March 13, 2007 11:16 AM

KLIA Wins 2006 World Best Airport Award

DUBAI, March 13 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) notched another mark in its success story when its flagship airport, the KL International Airport (KLIA), once again reaffirmed its ranking as the World's Best Airport in the 15-25 million passengers per annum category for the Airport Council International's Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Awards 2006.

San Diego Airport in the United States and Zurich Airport in Switzerland were placed second and third in the category.

The award presentation was held here last night in conjunction with the two-day Airport Council International (ACI) Airport Business and Trinity Forum hosted by the Dubai International Airport, which kicks off today.

MAHB managing Director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad said the award was very important because it was given by the ACI's survey on airport services and infrastructure which gave passengers full satisfaction.

"We are very pleased to receive this award today, I think it is really rewarding for us and we hope to do better next year as the category and other airports will be more competitive and challenging for us," he told reporters after receiving the award.

He said the wi fi services had contributed the most to KLIA's success as it was the first airport in the world to provide the service without any charges.

The KLIA also maintained its third place in both the Best Airport Worldwide and Best Airport in Asia/Pacific categories, behind leader Incheon Airport, Korea, and Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok Airport while Singapore's Changi Airport was fourth.

When asked about KLIA being placed ahead of Changi Airport, Bashir said: "This is a very nice feeling. As you all know, we are always compared to Changi Airport in Singapore and it's nice to know that we have done very well this particular year and hope to continue to progress."

He said it is not just about the airport infrastructure but the quality of the service provided was more vital to please the passengers and winning the award had proven this.

"There are 28 features in the ACI ASQ survey and we had to monitor each feature to ensure that we will not slip behind and to ensure that we had given the good services. We will continue upgrading our services and facilities to meet the increasing demands of our passengers," he said.

ASQ is a survey conducted by the ACI by benchmarking airports performance on service quality, facilities and passengers feedback in several categories, namely Regional Awards, Size/Domestic Awards and Special Awards. A total of 81 airports worldwide participated in the ASQ Survey 2006.

KLIA first participated in the survey in 2002 and has won the award for the same category since 2005.

-- BERNAMA

Edited by Naim

Excerpt from press release above. I like the typo 'airpot'. :D

airportscouncilinternatdp3.gif

+++

Very nice. :)

I never cease to be impressed by the architecture of KLIA. Love that forest feature in the Satellite terminal. Will be using KUL a fair bit this year - wheeeeeeee!

Edited by Keith T

I never cease to be impressed by the architecture of KLIA. Love that forest feature in the Satellite terminal. Will be using KUL a fair bit this year - wheeeeeeee!

I also impress by the architecture, but I dun find the forest in the middle of the airport really interesting, when I was there, I dun even see the forest, perhaps I can't even see with ad. hang over it etc. with trees now over grew that at one glance you only see greeny figure. But still very nice, may be they should make a forest that people can go thru which can give relaxation mood. Congrat to KLIA for this award, but they might want to put more entertainment to the whole airport like SIN :good:

Best airport ad.

DSC06506-1.jpg

Edited by Seth K

I also impress by the architecture, but I dun find the forest in the middle of the airport really interesting, when I was there, I dun even see the forest, perhaps I can't even see with ad. hang over it etc. But still very nice, may be they should make a forest that people can go thru which is much better. Congrat to KLIA for this award, but they might want to put more entertainment to the whole airport like SIN :good:

Seth, to see the forest, you have to poke your nose into the glass first, cup your eyes with both hands, then try to focus. Otherwise just use a bit of imagination lah. :D

Yes, I agree, the forest is a bit underwhelming, to say the least.

++

Congratulations to the management ..

Guest Levent

Congratulations to KLIA, definitely one of my preferred airports! Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi has a long, looooong way to go if they ever want to reach that level. I am currently working on an article about KLIA for Airports of the World magazine and hope to get it published in the near future, including many pictures. The WiFi throughout the terminals is great, and what I also find amazing is the low prices for food and drinks - usually airports charge through thh nose, but not KLIA. Even a Burger King meal in the arrivals hall is cheaper than one at any BK restaurant in Thailand.

Congrats to KLIA, and MAHB !

Open up the Obs Hill and you're the best :p :rofl:

Congrats to KLIA :clapping:

No other airport can beat KLIA

No other airport can beat KLIA

Please read the rest of the thread - you'll find evidence to the contrary ! :)

Levent,

We found F&B at Suvarnabhumi to be very, very reasonably priced when we were there in Dec. Much more so when compared to KUL in fact.

Please read the rest of the thread - you'll find evidence to the contrary ! :)

Really?

That's was from my point of view out of all of the airports I've been to :)

Good news for KUL. But still we have lots of rooms for improvement....baggage claim comes first to my mind. Then the touts.

Having said that, KUL has definitely improved throughout these few years.

The LCD screens are nice additions, plus the Movie Lounge....

I like the airportwide wi-fi and they also have internet stations for people to use for free.

Maybe they should fast track their shop outlets renovation plan as some shops a looking quite tired and dated. Changi is still way ahead in that sense.

Even Emirates are gaining more confidence with KUL now with their opening of the First/ Business Class lounge.

Still....my biggest hope for KUL....MORE AIRLINES TO FLY HERE

Best airport in Europe:

1 - ZRH: I can see that - very nice airport both for passengers and visitors, right Azman ?

2 - BRU ??? :rofl: This has to be a joke, like OPO =@

Who were the voters, actually ? :huh:

, and what I also find amazing is the low prices for food and drinks - usually airports charge through thh nose, but not KLIA.

Totally DISAGREE. You can eat at KLIA, but don't drink. The price is just illogical.

KLIA seems to still have the mentality of "if you can fly, then you must be rich, therefore we can charge you thru the nose". Greedy.

Totally DISAGREE. You can eat at KLIA, but don't drink. The price is just illogical.

KLIA seems to still have the mentality of "if you can fly, then you must be rich, therefore we can charge you thru the nose". Greedy.

O/T maybe this is one of the reason why McD is always full ! thou it charge a little bit more than others McD in the town...

If you look at the top airports in the world (not just in the the 15-25m pax range) - you have HKG, ICN, KUL and SIN. All of them are new-ish airports except the 26 yr old Changi....now that does say something about how SIN manages to maintain itself throughout the years. If I have to get stranded at an airport for more than 12hrs, Changi still stays as my top choice.

As a weekly commuter between KL and Singapore I find this result very surprising.

Does anybody know which areas KLIA outscored Changi in?

If you look at the top airports in the world (not just in the the 15-25m pax range) - you have HKG, ICN, KUL and SIN. All of them are new-ish airports except the 26 yr old Changi....now that does say something about how SIN manages to maintain itself throughout the years. If I have to get stranded at an airport for more than 12hrs, Changi still stays as my top choice.

Never stranded (or the like) at SIN before... Overnight at HKG once and it was ok. Stranded at SIN = many places to go before your flight = can visit friends and relatives. :rofl:

Sign in to follow this