MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sim Lim Shen

Going to IAH

I may be heading to the USA end of this month.

I will be flying on CI from KUL to IAH, then to connect Continental from IAH to GSO.

As the CI flight from TPE to IAH will stop at SEA, I am wondering if we will be clearing immigration at SEA instead of IAH.

Also, we will be arriving IAH at 2030, and we plan to connect the 2245 Continental flight to GSO. I would appreciate if you guys could provide any insights and suggestions, so that I know what to do when I arrive at IAH.

Thanks.

You have to clear immigration and/or customs at SEA. But if you miss the onward portion of your flight - it is CI's responsibility to re-accommodate you so not to worry on that front.

Not sure about IAH as I haven't been there. Pays to check what terminal you arrive into and what terminal CO departs from. If everything is on the same ticket, CO has a legal obligation to rebook you on the next flight out should you miss your flight. If it's totally the airline's fault (eg tech delays, flight xxls etc) rule 240 kicks in and they have to book you on ANY available flight on ANY airline to ur final destination.

Edited by Keith T

I am from IAH.....................been there millions time :drinks:

As for SEA, I believe international transit pax will not leave the plane until you reach final destination(not sure thou). Upon at IAH, you have to clear the immigration, most international flights arrive around that time(good luck with that :pardon: ) and then to terminal B which is where most CO domestic flights depart from. Not many activity you can do at the airport except spotting, it US afterall. At IAH, really boring airport, barely any souveneir shops but there are fast-food cafe everywhere eg. Starbucks. For what I suggest, try to get the next evening flight to Chicago, Marriott IAH hotel is a great place to stay at with overview of the runway and tarmac(morning time is the best), situated in the heart of the airport itself :clapping: There's nothing special at Houston but if you aim for skyline/chicks sight seeing or oil refinery plant or visitng NASA rockets and International Space control room perhaps world class shopping mall or even visiting my house in Houston, sure you can get the taxi service as no other transportation to/from IAH airport, but they are so far away from airport and traffic at higway I-45 can get pretty cilaka in the morning and evening. At SEA, you should find lots of souvenier shops because Seattle is popular for their tourism. I actually glad that you took IAH as an option rather than LAX/NYC.......... Other than that, welcome to Houston and enjoy ur visit, TReport too :pardon: Oh yeah, get pix of my Continental's metal will ya? :drinks:

Also manage your booking at continental.com, such as seat selection all that.....Man, am I over excited or sumthing haha

Edited by Seth K

No - all international pax have to clear immigration and customs at the first transit point. Even if their final destination is not in the US.

Edited by Keith T

Really Keith, when I was flying from LHR-to IAH, it stop at ORD, but we didn't clear any immigration afaik, i'm really sure. You clear immigration at final destination....

Keith might be right in this case as CI016 is on the deck at SEA for 2 full hours ;)

Depends on the airline too IMHO; it might be different for USA airlines...

Keith might be right in this case as CI016 is on the deck at SEA for 2 full hours ;)

What do you mean, that they get their passport stamp at SEA, what's happen when they arrive at IAH, didn't they go thru immigration again......what's happen if someone transiting USA to Canada, do they have to clear US immigration?

Really Keith, when I was flying from LHR-to IAH, it stop at ORD, but we didn't clear any immigration afaik, i'm really sure. You clear immigration at final destination....

My friend recently flew QF107 SYD-LAX-JFK. Everyone had to disembark at LAX to clear immigration and customs. He missed the continuation of his flight. When he approached QF ground staff at LAX, they were like "Oh that flight always leaves without half its passengers anyway," and promptly rebooked him onto an AA flight without further questions. :blink:

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/tra...iti_transit.xml

Progressive Clearance Program

# All progressive clearance passengers will have their passports processed by CBP at the first port of arrival; their luggage will be processed at the second port of destination.

# Progressive clearance passengers must retain their stamped Customs declaration so that it can be presented to Customs officials at the appropriate U.S. port of final destination.

# Stopover passengers who board at the first port will have their Customs Declaration top stamped "Domestic," for presentation at the subsequent U.S. port of arrival.

# These procedural changes for the Progressive Clearance Program does not apply to flights arriving from the following countries: Afghanistan, Egypt, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

# Carriers are required to enter into a Progressive Clearance Agreement with CBP Headquarters prior to commencement of progressive clearance privileges. Carriers are instructed to contact the CBP port director at the first port of arrival for the port-specific Progressive Clearance Agreement.

No - all international pax have to clear immigration and customs at the first transit point. Even if their final destination is not in the US.

I don't think so Keith, I think Seth is right.

I don't think so Keith, I think Seth is right.

Please read my previous post and the link.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your contributions. In addition to CI, I was actually trying to see if KLM is an option, because it involves only 1 stop from KUL to IAH, but most importantly it gives me an opportunity to visit Pieterland. Unfortunately, the ticket price difference was too much that the company decides to stick to CI.

Anyway, we are working on the flight itinerary, and hopefully we can confirm the details within these 2 days.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your contributions. In addition to CI, I was actually trying to see if KLM is an option, because it involves only 1 stop from KUL to IAH, but most importantly it gives me an opportunity to visit Pieterland. Unfortunately, the ticket price difference was too much that the company decides to stick to CI.

Anyway, we are working on the flight itinerary, and hopefully we can confirm the details within these 2 days.

I'd really recommend stopping over anywhere other than another US port or the Mother of All Transit Nightmares, CDG. Some would argue LHR too if you have to change terminals.

Edited by Keith T

I'd really recommend stopping over anywhere other than another US port or the Mother of All Transit Nightmares, CDG. Some would argue LHR too if you have to change terminals.

Keith,

Actually, my preferred choice is via MH/KLM, because of 1) only 1 stop is involved; and 2) I need to connect from IAH to my final destination at GSO, and KLM's arrival time of 1320 offers me better flight connection so that I won't arrive at GSO at odd hours; and 3) I have an Enrich card, which hopefully I can accrue some mileage on the KUL - IAH - KUL sector.

Anyway, as I am not paying for the trip, there is little I could do to choose the airliners I want to fly on.

Keith,

Actually, my preferred choice is via MH/KLM, because of 1) only 1 stop is involved; and 2) I need to connect from IAH to my final destination at GSO, and KLM's arrival time of 1320 offers me better flight connection so that I won't arrive at GSO at odd hours; and 3) I have an Enrich card, which hopefully I can accrue some mileage on the KUL - IAH - KUL sector.

Anyway, as I am not paying for the trip, there is little I could do to choose the airliners I want to fly on.

Well next time you can have EK to IAH too, with their brand new LR! You wanna try KLM Sim, but CI 343/333 has PTV :pardon: CO from NRT/HKG could be great as well, but I bet the price is high, and their inflight product not as good as Asian one.....

Edited by Seth K

Well next time you can have EK to IAH too, with their brand new LR! You wanna try KLM Sim, but CI 343/333 has PTV :pardon: CO from NRT/HKG could be great as well, but I bet the price is high, and their inflight product not as good as Asian one.....

Well,

It seems like my company will settle on CI, which is also kind of good, because I have not flown in an A343 for almost 10 years.

Anyway, once the final itinerary is out, we will see how the routing goes.

It seems like my company will settle on CI, which is also kind of good, because I have not flown in an A343 for almost 10 years.

Too bad for MAS/KLM, Sim, as you could have flown the BBJ between AMS and IAH (all Business-Class and operated by PrivatAir; KL0663/KL0664) ;)

Too bad for MAS/KLM, Sim, as you could have flown the BBJ between AMS and IAH (all Business-Class and operated by PrivatAir; KL0663/KL0664) ;)

Yes, I know, but when money comes first, we always goes to the cheapest on offer. I too would love to have flown MH/KLM, because I miss AMS so much. Well, maybe next time.

OK guys, here is my final itinerary :

25/March : CI from KUL to LAX via TPE

25/March : US from LAX to GSO via CLT

28/March : UA from GSO to IAH via ORD

30/March : CI from IAH to KUL via SEA and TPE

Very short trip indeed.

25/March : CI from KUL to LAX via TPE

25/March : US from LAX to GSO via CLT

30/March : CI from IAH to KUL via SEA and TPE

Very short trip indeed.

Wow, that's like a long ride for you :drinks: And you only stay in US for barely 3 days? Yet so many airport u will go.....

Edited by Seth K

Wow, that's like a long ride for you :drinks: And you only stay in US for barely 3 days? Yet so many airport u will go.....

Well, it's a business trip. I will spend 2 nights at Greensboro and 2 nights at Houston before I return home.

By the way, while in Houston, I am very very tempted to pay a visit to the NASA center. Is it open to public and worth a visit?

By the way, while in Houston, I am very very tempted to pay a visit to the NASA center. Is it open to public and worth a visit?

Wow looks like you going to Houston after all............if you want to visit the NASA space center, u hv to sacrifice half a day of those two days. It's far away, quite a long ride, rent a car for money saving. It worth visiting thou I found it really boring after my second visit, but I do hv lifetime membership :pardon: Yes, at the entrance, it's more like children place kinda thingy.........with some souvenirs shops which are the spot u hv to go. A trip to see used rockets etc, to mission controller(but to the old one not the newest) and yeah that's the highlight. The mission control that you'll visit is the one use when the first man step on the moon. Sit at row 3 number 3 from the left, Queen Elizabeth used to sit there :pardon: Galleria at downtown, no other interesting place I can think of for foreigners there unless because it's 100% biz city. Do drive to the Woodlands, the place I live, only half an hour away :pardon: Got to have the good taste of Mexican food there too...And, spend some night at LA too Sim :good:

For more Houston info>>>>Houston

welcome-houston.jpg

See the highway on the left, drive on that road at night to see the skyline lights, truly beautiful......hehe I'm promoting my city :lol:

Edited by Seth K

Isn't this a bit of a 'de-tour' (via ORD) ??? :o

At least you can compare US versus UA: looking forward to a TR (as usual) ;)

Wow looks like you going to Houston after all............if you want to visit the NASA space center, u hv to sacrifice half a day of those two days. It's far away, quite a long ride, rent a car for money saving. It worth visiting thou I found it really boring after my second visit, but I do hv lifetime membership :pardon: Yes, at the entrance, it's more like children place kinda thingy.........with some souvenirs shops which are the spot u hv to go. A trip to see used rockets etc, to mission controller(but to the old one not the newest) and yeah that's the highlight. The mission control that you'll visit is the one use when the first man step on the moon. Sit at row 3 number 3 from the left, Queen Elizabeth used to sit there :pardon: Galleria at downtown, no other interesting place I can think of for foreigners there unless because it's 100% biz city. Do drive to the Woodlands, the place I live, only half an hour away :pardon: Got to have the good taste of Mexican food there too...And, spend some night at LA too Sim :good:

For more Houston info>>>>Houston

welcome-houston.jpg

See the highway on the left, drive on that road at night to see the skyline lights, truly beautiful......hehe I'm promoting my city :lol:

Hi Seth,

Thanks for all the information you provided. We are staying at downtown, in a hotel at Fannin Street. Any place of interest nearby? It is a few blocks away from the minute maid park and toyota center, I think.

Isn't this a bit of a 'de-tour' (via ORD) ??? :o

At least you can compare US versus UA: looking forward to a TR (as usual) ;)

Yes, indeed. I think so too, but this is the lowest fare offered by Expedia, so we took it. Additionally, it let me have the opportunity to fly UA and transit at ORD for the very first time. So yes, I look forward to this sector.

Hopefully when I return from the States, I shall have a good load of information and photos to write up a trip report.