MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kris Kim

MH A380 at MEL

Anyone know why there is an MH A380 sitting at MEL today? It operated MH148/149 today and looks like it is also scheduled for the next 2 days as well.

Quite strange, and pleasantly surprised to see it at MEL! I believe its the first time an MH A380 has been on a regular service to MEL, besides the Real Madrid charter a while back.

MH will be operating the A380 to MEL for 4 days only.

MH will be operating the A380 to MEL for 4 days only.

Is there a reason why? Seems strange to suddenly operate the A380 on scheduled flights for only 4 days.

Is there a reason why? Seems strange to suddenly operate the A380 on scheduled flights for only 4 days.

Perhaps there is a shortage of A330s due to the increased utilisation of these aircraft. So when one or more of them are in maintenance, the A380 will have to be the supersub.

was surprised too when saw in on flightradar on late 15 april heading towards MEL. Thought too its likely a substitute for the A330 service but then to send the duging to MEL and SYD will be like running at less than 60% capacity as even the A330 flights are likely not 100% load. Such a waste of asset and fuel.

was surprised too when saw in on flightradar on late 15 april heading towards MEL. Thought too its likely a substitute for the A330 service but then to send the duging to MEL and SYD will be like running at less than 60% capacity as even the A330 flights are likely not 100% load. Such a waste of asset and fuel.

Better than cancelling flights, don't you think?

The landing was spectacular

I watched them last night on Youtube too!

Any dates for A380 SYD service? Haven't seen any A380 videos in SYD, thus the question

Spotted MNB at Sydney this afternoon as I was heading off to Cairns.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Well it is school holidays season down in MEL and SYD, so loads are likely yo be high. I wonder if they offered the First Class seats to some high tier pax?

Suprised!! the dugongs are now flying to four destinations - Sydney, Melbourne, Medinah as well as to London. Can MH manage them without any problem of long delay?

Edited by wajwy

Thanks for the replies guys!

Well it is school holidays season down in MEL and SYD, so loads are likely yo be high. I wonder if they offered the First Class seats to some high tier pax?

doubt so as unless its school holidays in Malaysia then one may see an increase in passengers but even then the flights maybe full on A330s but not like its way overbooked. Mel and SYD schools are having their one week easter break only. But using the A380 will mean an extra 220 extra seats and doubt even MAS have time to have a promoton fare for this seemingly last minute changes. I took the morning flight out of MEL in Feb and it was only 40% - 45% load!!

Oddly enough, it's still listed as A333 in the GDS even though the A388 already flew to Australia. Those few pax on Row 1 and 2 are in for a surprise if they allow them to keep their seats ;)

Tourism Australia published stats on Malaysian tourists to Oz (2011-2015). For 2015, D7 and MH respectively carried 47% and 33% of Malaysian tourists to Australia (SQ was only 5%).

More info here.

For the period of 3/2016-2/2017, there were a total of 385,300 Malaysian (based on country of residence) visitors to Australia, up from 345,700 the same period a year before.

Those few pax on Row 1 and 2 are in for a surprise if they allow them to keep their seats ;)

I wonder if they offered the First Class seats to some high tier pax?

Tonight should be the last 149 and possibly the last 123 with the 380 for this round. Little brother is on 149, and OLCI'ed into 1A, but got proactively moved to 9G. They're closing off F (from assignment by J pax), as well as the upper deck Y section.(from assignment by Y pax)

333 replace dugongs to do MED. something bout runaway maintenance, dugongs not allowed to land at MED. Not in d notam though.

Yes MED's runway restriction for A380 due to WIP, but is okay now

Swap with Aussie sectors as MH needed 2 A330s for one MED run and to suit the schedules for MEL and SYD

Sign in to follow this