MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

SQ never intended to dump "Singapore Girl"

Singapore Air Never Intended To Dump Singapore Girl

March 12, 2007

Singapore Airlines said on Monday it never considered giving up the iconic image and uniform of its Singapore Girl flight attendants when it decided to take a fresh look at its advertising campaign.

The world's biggest airline by stock market value said in January that it would review its advertising agency of 35 years, prompting a debate in Singapore newspapers and in airline industry circles on whether the image needed to be refreshed. Critics say it is sexist and outmoded.

"We have never had any intention to change the sarong kebaya uniform of our crew. It is so well recognized the world over," a Singapore Airlines spokesman said.

"This is really about how the airline is projected in advertising, not how we do what we do."

Singapore Air last week short-listed three agencies to handle the lucrative advertising contract -- DDB, Publicis and TBWA -- and said the creators of the Singapore Girl, Batey Ads, was no longer in the running.

Batey has held the contract since the airline was formed in 1972 and the Singapore Girl has featured heavily in all its print and broadcast advertising where other airlines rely on showing off new aircraft or comfortable seats.

However, recent Singapore Air campaigns increasingly displayed ultra-modern planes, updated seats or in-flight food in addition to Singapore Girl.

The advertising contract is thought to be worth around SGD$50 million (USD$33 million).

Despite her success, critics complain the Singapore Girl concept and her tight sarong kebaya uniform, created by French designer Pierre Balmain, are passe and largely intended to serve male passengers' fantasies of desirable, subservient Oriental women.

Singapore Air's spokesman said the recent discussion about how the airline projects itself "has been interesting, but in some ways, has gone a bit further than the mandate of the creative agency review".

He said that the look and feel of its advertising would be refreshed but the fundamentals would remain unchanged.

(Reuters)

Why the critics are going into SIA's business? :huh: :angry: :angry:

Guest Fendy

the SQ girl is one of the reasons why SQ is known the world over. maintaining this same image ensures brand memorability.

look at MAS... some spaceship wau thing la to going beyond expectations la to taking you there la, semua ada, taruh saja.

Guest Fendy
Isn't Singapore Gurls are Malaysian mostly, and kebaya is Malaysian tradition cloth...............

singapore was once a part of malaysia.........................

As an ex MH crew, in my humble opinion, there's nothing wrong with SQ girls uniform; though it may looked a bit like MH girls outfits but still, they have their style and we have ours. Outfit is the least that SQ needs to be worried about. Maintaining its high level of standard in service is definitely what they need and I believe WILL continue to look out for.

BUT: (although this MAY have nuthing to do with the issue) - I believe its true, some, or should I say, most of the SQ girls came from either MH or KUL and in general, through my past experiences, these girls, tend to "lupa daratan" when they donned the SQ girls uniform. Sad lah! hehehe

Anyways - all the best to SQ.

PS: The SQ gals are actually not wearing what MH girls are wearing. MH girls are wearing THE KEBAYA and SQ girls are wearing the SARONG only - the top is not a kebaya ya, thank you. hehehehe... ;)

the SQ girl is one of the reasons why SQ is known the world over. maintaining this same image ensures brand memorability.

look at MAS... some spaceship wau thing la to going beyond expectations la to taking you there la, semua ada, taruh saja.

Maaf - a bit blurred here. Just nak clarify. Statement u, was it a compliment? Or the other way round? Hrmmmm... heheh. Just ask nahhh - don't get mad nahhh... ;)

Guest Fendy
Maaf - a bit blurred here. Just nak clarify. Statement u, was it a compliment? Or the other way round? Hrmmmm... heheh. Just ask nahhh - don't get mad nahhh... ;)

its not a compliment. mas have no consistency in their brand management. this is why people only know MH as 'that airline from malaysia'. there isn't a consistent image to identify with. first it was modern fleet. then it was their cabin staff... now i dunno what it is. their marketing team need to buck up.

MAS used to use 'Golden' this and that e.g. Golden Service, Golden Airline, Golden Girls etc during its early days. Now I believe only Golden Holidays still remains. However I don't think many people could appreciate that MAS or emas is the malay for gold, especially when its original and present livery has no gold colour.

And then they have the kite to associate it with the airline.

And 'have one of the world's youngest fleet' printed on huge banners.

There is a lack of consistency. Just my 2 sen.

Guest Fendy

exactly. mas have strong ads, but a very inconsistent and weak brand image. they are very 'cincai' with their marketing.

There seems to be a tendency to confused the "Singapore Girl" with the "Singaporean Girl". The Singapore Girl is the lady who fronts SIA inflight service . . . perhaps one could say the United Girl or the Qantas Girl or the Lufthansa Girl or KLM Girl.

In reality, the "Singapore Girl" is one who dons SIA's version of the sarong kebaya (its basic design was the kebaya but it was further adapted to give it a gentler touch - with the round neck design) and she could be Korean, Japanese, Indian and yes, many of them are actually Malaysian. It is a similar situation to the Cathay Girls who hail from all over Asia where there is a strong tradition of fine service. So the fact that so many Singapore Girls are Malaysian is an indication of SIA management's recognition that Malaysia has a strong service and hospitality culture.

KC Sim

Sign in to follow this