MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS to Introduce New Cabin Crew Uniform

Yet another insider news from MH. The recent poll about cabin staff uniform triggered my investigating instict to look on the matter even further.

From a fellow A.Netter, I was told that MH will soon introduce a fresh new (or minor update) look for all Inflight Supervisors, both male and female beginning 1 January 2008. A new kebaya is espected to be unveiled for the female Inflight Supervisors. Presently, female Inflight Supervisors wear sarong kebaya with yellow flowers motive.

Beyond, in the coming months of 2008 and 2009, MH will be updating its male cabin staff uniform for a new and refreshing (minor update) looks. As a start, beginning 1 November 2007, MH male cabin staff will be giving up their songket lapel or service jacket during flight and will wear their classic jacket instead.

What can we expect for the new uniform? Will it be a totally newly designed (and coloured) sarong kebaya for the female Inflight Supervisors? Will the new uniform for the male cabin staff improves their (profesional) look? It is no secret in A.Net that although MH is highly regarded as one of the best carrier in the sky, and the female sarong kebaya uniform received rave reviews from flying passengers (with constant comparison to SQ's Pierre Balmain Sarong Kebaya), the male uniform however drawn much critism.

A fellow A.Netter who was flying CDG-KUL once quoted the uniform as reminding him of a uniform of certain bus conductors from a bus company in Europe, which is a pity according to him, as our MH male cabin staff are generally good looking. A nice uniform would surely compliment their (profesional) looks.

Any thoughts?

Azizul

Beyond, in the coming months of 2008 and 2009, MH will be updating its male cabin staff uniform for a new and refreshing (minor update) looks. As a start, beginning 1 November 2007, MH male cabin staff will be giving up their songket lapel or service jacket during flight and will wear their classic jacket instead.

the male uniform however drawn much critism.

A fellow A.Netter who was flying CDG-KUL once quoted the uniform as reminding him of a uniform of certain bus conductors from a bus company in Europe, which is a pity according to him, as our MH male cabin staff are generally good looking. A nice uniform would surely compliment their (profesional) looks.

Any thoughts?

Azizul

I was a crew with MH. I must say the stewards inflight jacket is so ugly! It's still better than short monkey jacket. Even the old orange jacket was better looking. I am gonna look for any old photo and post it soon.

Edited by Alan B.

MH kebaya: excellent and timelessly elegant. Keep the slits to remain unseamed!

MH jacket with songket lapel and the green-turquoise colour: never liked them

Haven't heard about this rumor yet, but I'll update once I got the info.

Will have to remain, due to safety reason. (Think evacuation)

Even the old orange jacket was better looking

IIRC, it can be found on Going Places August 07 issue - the gold jacket with the bow ties reminds me of the "Golden boyz" ;).

It's definately a great news to hear MH introducing. Really hope it's an upgrade but not degrade. You know what I mean...

At the rate MH is going right now, especially with the stupid snackbox fiasco, I bet the new uniform will be a one piece grey jumpsuit...

Or miniskirts for the female crew...less cloth used, hence cheaper, hence boosts bottomline, and snr mngt (only) gets fat bonus.

Historically, whenever the airline is making good profit, the management will replace uniforms, company logo, etc as tons of money can be made from contracts.

In 1997, mr 019 spent over RM100 millions to change company logo, uniforms, cutlery, tableware, etc. As the financial crisis hit, the ‘TRansfiguration’ was put on hold and those money spent was just written off.

In 1997, instead of engaging a well known designer to design uniform, the oldman chose the uniform and naturally the uniforms supply contract was awarded to the oldman’s daughter firm.

Curious to see how much MH has change since 019 ’s era.

:drinks:

Anybody has the "original new uniform" for MAS cabin crew that was supposed to be introduced in year 2000 ? The "original new uniform" is in navy blue color.

In 1997, instead of engaging a well known designer to design uniform, the oldman chose the uniform and naturally the uniforms supply contract was awarded to the oldman’s daughter firm.

Aha, so that's when the comparison between the designs of Pierre Balmain and 'a UiTM student' came about.

Hopefully these 'superb' designs could inspire MH.

TAP Portugal new uniforms

4351-fardas_grandesmall.jpg

4429-fardas1small.jpg

4438-fardas4small.jpg

Air France new uniforms, designed by Christian Lacroix

1461101492_967fc52209_m.jpg

00232923923.jpg

1461102128_c2da9c8b96_m.jpg

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

The pilot's uniform for TAP looks sleek!!

Anyways the first thing MH needs to do is to redesign the stewards cheesy uniform. The kebaya is elegant enough and does not need any major changes.

Guys,

I asked a FA who currently serving Malaysia Airlines about the rumour

This is what i get,

Well it's in Chinese

只是我们的将会换上全新的制服,其他人还是一样没变!

其实我也觉得空少的制服不好看,尤其是它的颜色!

My humble translation>"<

: "Our" old uniforms will be displaced while "others" will not be affected thogh :

: I would say that Male FA's uniform design ain't that great, especially the colour :

Well,The quoted words are bewildering.

Our =???

Other=??

Let's wait for the answer :)

Nice days.

Azizul,

Thanks for sharing these pictures of the new AF-uniform: VERY stylish - I like it a lot !!! :yahoo:

Guys,

I asked a FA who currently serving Malaysia Airlines about the rumour

This is what i get,

Well it's in Chinese

只是我们的将会换上全新的制服,其他人还是一样没变!

其实我也觉得空少的制服不好看,尤其是它的颜色!

My humble translation>"<

: "Our" old uniforms will be displaced while "others" will not be affected thogh :

: I would say that Male FA's uniform design ain't that great, especially the colour :

Well,The quoted words are bewildering.

Our =???

Other=??

Let's wait for the answer :)

Nice days.

As promise

Here comes the reply

只有我们的inflight supervisor会换上新的制服,其他的照旧穿回原本的制服。其实我也不清楚是不是换个新的款式,十一月大家就有答案了!

To be concise,

Only Inflight supervisor's uniform is changing,however,whether it's in new design or whatsoever is still not confirmed yet.

This will be carried out in november

Hmm....Sohai (?)... I wonder if this is your true name or is this a nickname? I am beginning to think swear words in my dialect which Sam and many fellow Sabahan would agree :p

The boots would look nice on the female.

Edited by S V Choong

MH jacket with songket lapel and the green-turquoise colour: never liked them

I agreed, the FSS kebaya is somehow eleganat and does not goes with the time. it remain elegant and as for the flight steward jacket is a bid outdated by now. MH has plan to introduce new uniform before and the plan was once again cancelled due to financial hardships. Let's see if this time will works or not.

Edited by Kenneth T

new year is coming........wonder what's the new design........yet to see it anywhere :huh: doesnt sound cut cost at all....increase cost ade laa <_< btw, the TAP cabin crew design looks chick :good:

Is this the new jacket or the classic jacket?

cabincrew31.jpg

Stolen from Kenneth T latest trip report. :)