Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

KLIA improvements

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:16 PM

1. I already said it was a simplistic comparison

Well, airport taxes are only a small part of MAHB's revenue.

For those who want to examine the revenue streams of MAHB, please take a look at Pg 73 of their 2018 Annual Report:
http://disclosure.bu..._DS_ATTACHMENTS

#42 jani

jani
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

How much aerotrain and bhs system constitutes airport capex? How much of mahb opex are in myr?

You were the one started converting sgd to myr.

Well, for CAPEX, actually a big chunk. Not only that, considering how specialized airport equipment are, mostly will be based on foreign currency.

Look, my point is simple: Changi earns more and thus is able to spend more. Hence why I used MYR as a base. Is this even an argument?

Again, this is a simple comparison with hundreds of other factors to consider. I already stated this upfront yet you want to nitpick on it.

Is Changi the gold standard in the airport industry? Yes

Can KLIA be better? Definitely yes

Is KLIA and Changi a fair comparison? No. The contexts are just too different.

Well, airport taxes are only a small part of MAHB's revenue.

For those who want to examine the revenue streams of MAHB, please take a look at Pg 73 of their 2018 Annual Report:
http://disclosure.bu..._DS_ATTACHMENTS

I don't have Changi's numbers but you can bet that PSC is also a small component of their numbers... Sorry but what are you trying to point out?

#43 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

I don't have Changi's numbers but you can bet that PSC is also a small component of their numbers... Sorry but what are you trying to point out?

Changi's main revenue comes from retail.

And many here complain about klia2's shopping mall...

#44 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

My point is that airport tax is only a small proportion of MAHB's total revenue - you were using it as if the airport tax levied should be an indicator of airport quality of service.

Changi's main revenue comes from retail.

And many here complain about klia2's shopping mall...

I think that the complaint is not about the shopping mall but being forced to walk through it before arriving at the check in counters. E.g. Changi T2 shopping mall is in the basement - you have to make a conscious effort to go there and not just pass by on the way to check in. klia2's shopping mall could be better located!

Edited by flee, 16 April 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#45 kandiah k

kandiah k
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Some input from MAVCOM on integrated terminals, explaining why the decline in KUL traffic last year. Interesting comparison and explanation of reasons for the development of the airport. Of course it does not discuss the finer things like customer services etc but its a start with the new gomen conducting studies on the growth of KUL in view of intense competition from SIN and BKK. Also worth knowing that they use the terms T1 and T2 in reference to KLIA and KLIA2  :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

https://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/190417-Benefits-of-Integrated-Terminals-.pdf 

#46 Holger

Holger
  • Silver Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

Some input from MAVCOM on integrated terminals, explaining why the decline in KUL traffic last year. Interesting comparison and explanation of reasons for the development of the airport. Of course it does not discuss the finer things like customer services etc but its a start with the new gomen conducting studies on the growth of KUL in view of intense competition from SIN and BKK. Also worth knowing that they use the terms T1 and T2 in reference to KLIA and KLIA2  :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

https://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/190417-Benefits-of-Integrated-Terminals-.pdf 

Lol they really compare KUL with BKI? :search:

And where are 3 Terminals in BKK? I only know one!

And the "lower hub connectivity" from KUL against SIN is because of SQ in SIN and not the regional airline MAB in KUL!

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

#47 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

MAVCOM is a redundant body set up to provide employment for the previous BN government's cronies. They are a bunch of amateurs. They should be disbanded and all aviation matters should revert to CAAM.

#48 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

MAVCOM is a redundant body set up to provide employment for the previous BN government's cronies. They are a bunch of amateurs. They should be disbanded and all aviation matters should revert to CAAM.

+1

#49 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

My point is that airport tax is only a small proportion of MAHB's total revenue - you were using it as if the airport tax levied should be an indicator of airport quality of service.

I think that the complaint is not about the shopping mall but being forced to walk through it before arriving at the check in counters. E.g. Changi T2 shopping mall is in the basement - you have to make a conscious effort to go there and not just pass by on the way to check in. klia2's shopping mall could be better located!

I've walked up and down the shopping mall with luggage. I honestly don't see what the big fuss is about. Again, as I've said a million times before, it's not like you have to walk the length of Midvalley or One Utama.

No it's not. CAAM should focus solely on maintaining air safety, and MAVCOM should be focusing on promoting aviation commerce.

In fact, if the US does the same, they could have avoided the MAX fiasco since the FAA's dual mandate of promoting aviation commerce & maintaining air safety is a conflict of interest.

#50 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

I've walked up and down the shopping mall with luggage. I honestly don't see what the big fuss is about. Again, as I've said a million times before, it's not like you have to walk the length of Midvalley or One Utama.

No it's not. CAAM should focus solely on maintaining air safety, and MAVCOM should be focusing on promoting aviation commerce.

In fact, if the US does the same, they could have avoided the MAX fiasco since the FAA's dual mandate of promoting aviation commerce & maintaining air safety is a conflict of interest.

Its being forced fed a shopping mall before check in that most people dislike. Why can't it be like klia or the old LCCT, where u don't need to go through a mall with multiple level changes?

Malaysian aviation has managed safety without MAVCOM. All it needs is for those involved to do their jobs diligently. You know what they say about having too many cooks.

Max crashes took place in Indonesian and Ethiopian jurisdictions. Does FAA oversee them? MAVCOM will be up in arms if the FAA interfered with Malaysian aviation!

Edited by flee, 18 April 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#51 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

U.s gomen has huge tax revenue and can issue as much bonds as they want but not this country.

Businesses need a reduction in red tape not increase.

Edited by KK Lee, 18 April 2019 - 09:23 AM.

#52 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

Max crashes took place in Indonesian and Ethiopian jurisdictions. Does FAA oversee them? MAVCOM will be up in arms if the FAA interfered with Malaysian aviation!

I'm talking about certification issues. Many other countries' regulation bodies put their trust in the FAA that they don't require in depth certification of new airplane models. But now that trust is broken because reports that the FAA's rushed certification of the MAX surfaced. Why? Because they need to promote Boeing to the world.

History have shown how this conflict of interest is wrong - the DC-10's cargo door issue for one, where McDonnell Douglas pleaded with the FAA not to issue an Airworthiness Directive regarding the cargo doors which could affect sales of the plane. It ended up with Turkish Airlines Flight 981 crashing in Paris, becoming the worst aviation disaster in the world at the time.

Businesses need a reduction in red tape not increase.

Businesses need regulations that protects consumers. Otherwise if they are allowed to run rampant they will maximize profits at the expense of the customer. MAVCOM can become the watchdog if managed properly.

Its being forced fed a shopping mall before check in that most people dislike. Why can't it be like klia or the old LCCT, where u don't need to go through a mall with multiple level changes?

Because they need the retail revenue in order to cover expenses. And again, I find myself being a broken record - it's not like you have to walk the length of Midvalley or One Utama. If my mother who isn't exactly the world's fittest person can traverse the airport with no fuss, I don't see why others should, especially the young ones!

Many here might like the cowshed that is the LCCT, but I certainly don't, especially considering the experience I had with AK stranding my travel party for 6 hours. In fact, I'm pretty sure that even if MAHB went ahead with building an enlarged cowshed LCCT, many here would still find things to complain about!

Anyways, on another note...

57612568_10205790218391568_7694902079399

Is this for real? Of all the things that needs to be done, these people are worried about the bloody name?  ::80::

#53 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:33 AM

I'm talking about certification issues. Many other countries' regulation bodies put their trust in the FAA that they don't require in depth certification of new airplane models. But now that trust is broken because reports that the FAA's rushed certification of the MAX surfaced. Why? Because they need to promote Boeing to the world.

History have shown how this conflict of interest is wrong - the DC-10's cargo door issue for one, where McDonnell Douglas pleaded with the FAA not to issue an Airworthiness Directive regarding the cargo doors which could affect sales of the plane. It ended up with Turkish Airlines Flight 981 crashing in Paris, becoming the worst aviation disaster in the world at the time.

Businesses need regulations that protects consumers. Otherwise if they are allowed to run rampant they will maximize profits at the expense of the customer. MAVCOM can become the watchdog if managed properly.

Because they need the retail revenue in order to cover expenses. And again, I find myself being a broken record - it's not like you have to walk the length of Midvalley or One Utama. If my mother who isn't exactly the world's fittest person can traverse the airport with no fuss, I don't see why others should, especially the young ones!

Many here might like the cowshed that is the LCCT, but I certainly don't, especially considering the experience I had with AK stranding my travel party for 6 hours. In fact, I'm pretty sure that even if MAHB went ahead with building an enlarged cowshed LCCT, many here would still find things to complain about!

Anyways, on another note...

57612568_10205790218391568_7694902079399

Is this for real? Of all the things that needs to be done, these people are worried about the bloody name?  ::80::

The issue with faa on 737 max 8 incident is Boeing had undue influence on faa. This is an issue to have political appointee to regulatory bodies.

So far caam has performed it works.

https://www.washingt...m=.00a9653bc646

Airport is a node of transportation network; seamless transfer is supposed to be the key for growth. By adding non essential 100m shopping is still unnecessary.

If one look at shops at klia gateway; besides eatery, many are doing below expectations.

Edited by KK Lee, 18 April 2019 - 10:39 AM.

#54 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

Airport is a node of transportation network; seamless transfer is supposed to be the key for growth. By adding non essential 100m shopping is still unnecessary.

If one look at shops at klia gateway; besides eatery, many are doing below expectations.

Airport's major source of revenue is retail. Even in Changi their revenue is mostly derived from retail. You want no retail fine, then cough up the PSC.

And are they though? I was there last week, and many of the shops are operating fine. Most of the shops that are closed are located post the escalators, which is fairly logical since people hardly ever go there.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz, 18 April 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#55 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

Airport's major source of revenue is retail. Even in Changi their revenue is mostly derived from retail. You want no retail fine, then cough up the PSC.

And are they though? I was there last week, and many of the shops are operating fine. Most of the shops that are closed are located post the escalators, which is fairly logical since people hardly ever go there.

Incidentally gateway @klia2 is a separate entity, a JV company, is a unnecessary additional to the terminal.

#56 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

Incidentally gateway @klia2 is a separate entity, a JV company, is a unnecessary additional to the terminal.

Now you're just picking at straws to be honest. JV or not, it still contributes to the bottom line.

I can see why jani's only smiling...

#57 jani

jani
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Thank you sir. I just decided to stop replying... :)

#58 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Now you're just picking at straws to be honest. JV or not, it still contributes to the bottom line.

Most airports could build attached shopping mall and channel pax through but few did.

The school of thought of having gateway@klia2 is no difference from charging premium rate at level 2 of t1 car park.

#59 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

Most airports could build attached shopping mall and channel pax through but few did.

The school of thought of having gateway@klia2 is no difference from charging premium rate at level 2 of t1 car park.

Because they put a lot more duty free stores airside. This doesn't work here because Malaysians aren't heavy duty free shoppers.

#60 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

Because they put a lot more duty free stores airside. This doesn't work here because Malaysians aren't heavy duty free shoppers.

Basically, duty free at klia is expensive e.g whisky, perfume, chocolate, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users