Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

Guide on Regional Flights by Non Regional Airlines

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#41 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Emirates' daily BKK-HKG vv using a 3 class Boeing 777-300

The flight above will be upgraded to a daily A380 service beginning 1 October 2010.

http://airlineroute....ek-w10-update2/ Credit to fellow MalaysianWings member, Jim Liu.

So folks, for those who would like to fly on EK A380, there is a cheaper and nearer option from KUL. Just go to BKK and embark on the flight from BKK to HKG.

#42 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

The flight above will be upgraded to a daily A380 service beginning 1 October 2010.

http://airlineroute....ek-w10-update2/ Credit to fellow MalaysianWings member, Jim Liu.

So folks, for those who would like to fly on EK A380, there is a cheaper and nearer option from KUL. Just go to BKK and embark on the flight from BKK to HKG.

Yay, not bad. That would take 1 hour off the SIN - HKG flight. Alas! Won't be able to catch as I will be there 1 week earlier. :(

#43 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Let's do a recap for regional flights by non regional airlines from these following airports:

KLIA (KUL)
1. Air Zimbabwe | KUL-PEK-KUL | 1 weekly | B762ER
2. Emirates | KUL-MEL-KUL | Daily | B77W
3. KLM | KUL-CGK-KUL | Daily | B77W/B772ER
4. Kuwait Airways | KUL-CGK-KUL | Unspecified | A343
5. Lufthansa | KUL-BKK-KUL | 3 weekly | B744
6. Qatar Airways | KUL-HKT-KUL | 6 weekly | A332/A333 *Begins 11 October 2010
7. Royal Jordanian | KUL-BKK-KUL | 4 weekly | A332
8. Yemenia | KUL-DXB-KUL | Unspecified | A332

Changi (SIN)
1. British Airways | SIN-SYD-SIN
2. Cathay Pacific | SIN-BKK-SIN
3. Cathay Pacific | SIN-CMB-SIN
4. China Airlines | SIN-SUB-SIN
5. Delta Airlines | SIN-NRT-SIN
6. Emirates | SIN-BNE-SIN
7. Emirates | SIN-CMB-SIN
8. Emirates | SIN-MEL-SIN
9. Etihad | SIN-BNE-SIN
10. Jetstar (Australia) | SIN-DPS-SIN
11. Jetstar (Australia) | SIN-CGK-SIN
12. KLM | SIN-DPS-SIN
13. Lion Air | SIN-SGN-SIN
14. Lufthansa | SIN-CGK-SIN
15. Philippines Airlines | SIN-CGK-SIN
16. Qantas | SIN-FRA-SIN
17. Qantas | SIN-LHR-SIN
18. Qantas | SIN-BOM-SIN
19. Qatar Airways | SIN-DPS-SIN
20. Saudi Arabian Airlines | SIN-CGK-SIN
21. United Airlines | SIN-HKG-SIN
22. United Airlines | SIN-NRT-SIN

Suvarnabhumi (BKK)
1. Air France | BKK-HAN-BKK | B744 *Ends 30 October 2010
2. Air France | BKK-SGN-BKK | B744 *Ends 2 November 2010
3. Air Madagascar | BKK-CAN-BKK
4. British Airways | BKK-SYD-BKK
5. Cathay Pacific | BKK-CMB-BKK
6. Cathay Pacific | BKK-DEL-BKK
7. Cathay Pacific | BKK-KHI-BKK
8. Cathay Pacific | BKK-BOM-BKK
9. Cathay Pacific | BKK-SIN-BKK
10. China Airlines | BKK-AMS-BKK
11. China Airlines | BKK-HKG-BKK
12. Drukair | BKK-DAC-BKK
13. Drukair | BKK-CCU-BKK
14. Drukair | BKK-Gaya-BKK
15. Egyptair | BKK-CAN-BKK
16. Emirates | BKK-SYD-CHC-SYD-BKK
17. Emirates | BKK-HKG-BKK
18. Ethiopian Airlines | BKK-CAN-BKK
19. Ethiopian Airlines | BKK-HKG-BKK
20. EVA | BKK-AMS-BKK
21. EVA | BKK-LHR-BKK
22. EVA | BKK-VIE-BKK
23. Kenya Airways | BKK-CAN-BKK
24. Kenya Airways | BKK-HKG-BKK
25. KLM | BKK-TPE-BKK
26. Kuwait Airways | BKK-MNL-BKK
27. Lufthansa | BKK-SGN-BKK
28. Lufthansa | BKK-KUL-BKK
29. PIA | BKK-HKG-BKK
30. Qantas | BKK-LHR-BKK
31. Qatar Airways | BKK-HAN-BKK *Begins 1 November 2010
32. Royal Jordanian | BKK-HKG-BKK
33. Royal Jordanian | BKK-KUL-BKK
34. Sri Lankan | BKK-PEK-BKK
35. Sri Lankan | BKK-HKG-BKK
36. Sri Lankan | BKK-PVG-BKK

Soekarno-Hatta (CGK)
1. China Airlines | CGK-HKG-CGK
2. Jetstar (Australia) | CGK-SIN-CGK
3. KLM | CGK-KUL-CGK
4. Kuwait Airways | CGK-KUL-CGK
5. Lufthansa | CGK-SIN-CGK
6. Philippines Airlines | CGK-SIN-CGK
7. Yemenia | CGK-DXB-CGK

There could be some errors in the list above. Hope we can correct it together. But still, there are a lot of exotic flights to try actually.

#44 jani

jani
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

I thought EK's flight to MEL was with an A340? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, someone mind explaining the pros and cons of airlines doing these tag-ons?

I was always under the impression that tag-on = good for airport.

However was recently told that usually tag-ons were done because normal load to that destination was not enough, so they had to tag it on with another destination, thus combining two flights basically, into one.

Example: Say KL flies AMS-KUL-CGK.. Does it imply that AMS-KUL load isn't healthy enough? So they have to combine it with CGK loads?

Sidenote: Imagine if MH joined an alliance :( Sedih

Edited by jani, 13 August 2010 - 10:53 PM.

#45 Johan Z

Johan Z
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

Does anyone know how EK's doing on KUL-MEL sector? I read from A.net the loads are just OK, competing with D7 and MH itself.

#46 jani

jani
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

On a.net somebody says EK might consider shifting the KUL stop to BOM because of the great competition with MH and D7.

It was quickly shot down by somebody who said EK does not have rights out of India, though.

#47 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

Yay, not bad. That would take 1 hour off the SIN - HKG flight. Alas! Won't be able to catch as I will be there 1 week earlier.

Waiping, now do whatever you can to have the event in HKG being delayed by a week LOL.

I thought EK's flight to MEL was with an A340? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, someone mind explaining the pros and cons of airlines doing these tag-ons?

I was always under the impression that tag-on = good for airport.

However was recently told that usually tag-ons were done because normal load to that destination was not enough, so they had to tag it on with another destination, thus combining two flights basically, into one.

Example: Say KL flies AMS-KUL-CGK.. Does it imply that AMS-KUL load isn't healthy enough? So they have to combine it with CGK loads?

Sidenote: Imagine if MH joined an alliance

The EK flight from KUL to MEL was recently being 'upgraded' (capacity wide) to the B77W (which is more appropriate I think as the A345 should be deployed to somewhere which more suiting its ultra long haul range capability. KUL-MEL is so not ULH).

I think nastar has given a good example on why the pairing of QR's tag-on destinations in South East Asia is so and so in the Middle East Airlines thread. So you may be right that airlines will usually combine 2 destinations into 1 flight to make it profitable.

However, it is worth noting that in KUL's case it is a bit different. Beginning this year (2010), MAHB announced a new scheme for their airline partners which includes:

MAHB announces incentive programme
Objective to attract more passengers, says Bashir
Ee Ann Nee Thursday, November 19th, 2009 07:12:00

MALAYSIA Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) has announced an incentive programme for new and existing airlines operating in airports managed by them that is aimed at bringing more passengers.

MAHB managing director Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad said yesterday that the Airline Recovery Programme, effective Jan 1 this year, is an additional incentive on top of the low airport charges and 50 per cent landing rebate to support airline partners through this recovery period.

Under the programme, new airlines flying into Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Low Cost Carrier Terminal and the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, that have a strong market base compared with other local airports, will receive an incentive payment of RM10 per passenger. To promote tourism in other States, a higher incentive payment of RM25 per passenger will be given to the airlines flying into its airports. The incentive is valid for new airlines in the first 12 months of operations, after which the growth incentive for existing airlines will apply. It is applicable to inbound passengers of international flights. These new airlines flying into Malaysia will also enjoy free landing fees for three years plus free office rental for six months.

Existing airlines, on the other hand, will be rewarded through a tier-based incentive scheme. Using last year’s passenger load volume as a base, MAHB will give an incentive payment of RM10 per passenger for the first 10 per cent growth, RM12.50 per passenger for the next eight per cent growth and RM15 for all additional passengers above 18 per cent.

The incentive will be reviewed after three years.

Bashir said MAHB had been proactive by having a series of discussions with the government, the International Air Transport Association and the airlines before finalising the programme. “The response from the airlines has been good. We are expecting four to five per cent growth in passenger load this year and a three to four per cent growth next year from increased flight frequencies,” he said, adding that the programme would be funded from commercial revenue.

Bashir said the scheme is aimed at getting more passengers into the country to boost recovery in this economic crisis. “The basic incentive we give to airlines is our low airport charges — currently the lowest in the region, if not the world.

“Under the government’s Economic Stimulus Plan for airlines, a 50 per cent discount has also been offered on all landings, for all airlines, at all airports in Malaysia from April this year to March 2011. And now, we top it off with the programme that airlines have been waiting for.”

If I am not mistaken, EK is the first airline to jump in taking advantage of the incentive for the existing airline. EK handled 411,658 passengers in KUL in 2009, and the new KUL-MEL-KUL flight will surely increase their passengers number this year.

Let's do an exercise. Let say EK carried 500,000 passengers in KUL in 2010. Their incentive will be:

500,000 pax in 2010 - 411,658 pax in 2009 = 88,342 passengers
Growth = 88,342/411,658 = 21.46%

Based on the MAHB new scheme, EK is expected to receive an incentive amounting to = 88,342 pax x RM 15 per pax (for growth above 18%) = RM 1,325,130!

That is like a bonus to the airline by the very obviously aggressive customer-hungry KLIA. And obviously EK is not a slow and stupid airline. They jumped in at the opportunity right away!

So I would say, airport incentive also plays a part in deciding a tag-on flight by airlines.

I am equally sad with your sidenote. Just see the number of tag-on flights out of SIN and BKK, both of which are Star Alliance hubs. KUL could have that many number of tag-on flights too if it is a hub of a global alliance.

#48 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the invaluable list,Mohd Azizul Ramli! :good:

#49 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

No wonder, duty free price at KUL has gone up again :angry: Duty free at KUL is among the most expensive in the region :(

:drinks:

#50 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

I don't think it's that simple to book some of the flights. For example, how do you book a KUL-PEK-KUL flight on Air Zimbabwe?

KUL-CGK-KUL not bookable on Kuwait Airways website.

Edited by Waiping, 14 August 2010 - 02:08 PM.

#51 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

I don't think it's that simple to book some of the flights. For example, how do you book a KUL-PEK-KUL flight on Air Zimbabwe?

KUL-CGK-KUL not bookable on Kuwait Airways website.

Airpearl did Air Zimbabwe's KUL-PEK-KUL recently. Kindly refer to Airpearl Shrine thread in the Flight Logbook subforum. The ticket has to be purchased from their appointed agent in Malaysia.

As for Kuwait Airways' KUL-CGK-KUL, you have to contact their agent in Malaysia too, Roystar Travel & Tours, as mentioned in reply #10 in this thread.

#52 H C Chai

H C Chai
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

Let's do a recap for regional flights by non regional airlines from these following airports:

KLIA (KUL)

Impressive list, Azizul! :good:

I didn't know that there are so many airlines doing the BKK-HKG route!

Just to add:

For KUL-BKK-KUL, Lufthansa frequency should be 4 weekly and Royal Jordanian 3 weekly
For KUL-HKT-KUL, Qatar Airways frequency will increase from 6 weekly to 7 weekly effective 1 November 2010.

#53 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

Just a reminder, Air Zimbabwe's KUL-PEK run may not be available for the time being after the recent pilot strike at the airline which lead to the firing of all 40 pilots working at Air Zimbabwe. http://www.airliners...d.main/4929902/

#54 Raj

Raj
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Doesn't Air Niugini fly POM-SIN-KUL-POM?

#55 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

I didn't know that there are so many airlines doing the BKK-HKG route!

Just to add:

For KUL-BKK-KUL, Lufthansa frequency should be 4 weekly and Royal Jordanian 3 weekly
For KUL-HKT-KUL, Qatar Airways frequency will increase from 6 weekly to 7 weekly effective 1 November 2010.

Thanks for the correction Calvin, those info were recalled from memory only.

BKK-HKG vv is indeed the mother of all 5th freedom tag-on routes in our region. Let see... we have China Airlines, Emirates, Ethiopian, Kenyan, Pakistan, Royal Jordanian and Sri Lankan plying the route. This is on top of Orient Thai, Thai AirAsia and Thai Airways (airlines from Thailand) and also Cathay Pacific and Hong Kong Airlines (airlines from Hong Kong). So in total there are 12 airlines (7 foreign players, 3 Thai players and 2 Hong Kong players) on the route, which offer flights from as small as in A320 into as big as A380. I think SIN-BKK vv used to be the route favoured for tag-on flights as well but the foreign players succumbed to SQ's prowess on the route (SWISS, Biman etc).

Doesn't Air Niugini fly POM-SIN-KUL-POM?

Yes, but they don't have rights to carry passengers on the route. The same is applied to Air Mauritius and Sri Lankan.

KLIA (KUL)

On top of this list, there are also 2 other airlines which are Saudi Arabian and Yemenia that ply the KUL-CGK-KUL route. However, I have no knowledge whether the airlines have traffic rights or not. The only way to know is to contact the airlines directly.

#56 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:23 AM

Exciting news guys! The 5 star rated Qatar Airways has started selling tickets to Phuket from our very own KLIA.

Posted Image

http://www.qatarairw...n/homepage.html

#57 Pieter C.

Pieter C.
  • Platinum Member
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:48 AM

So, when do I see a QR flight-attendant in your signature ? :P

#58 jani

jani
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:29 AM

Were my eyes playing tricks on me or did yesterday the advertised fare was RM98 and today it's RM418?

#59 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:49 AM

So, when do I see a QR flight-attendant in your signature ?

LOL, Pieter! But another Middle Eastern airline with the mass produced premium product with faux gold hardwares with inconsistent multi national cabin crew with 10 abrest seats in Economy Class has got me signed up with their loyalty program. You knew how serious I treat my FFP affairs, don't you?

Were my eyes playing tricks on me or did yesterday the advertised fare was RM98 and today it's RM418?

No, your eyes are not playing trick on you. It was MYR 99 yesterday. I wished I would have 'save image' rather than just copying the image's URL. Maybe the response is too overwhelming that they decided to increase the lowest price? Contacting Nastar...

#60 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:15 AM

Suvarnabhumi (BKK)
1. Air France | BKK-HAN-BKK | B744 *Ends 30 October 2010
2. Air France | BKK-SGN-BKK | B744 *Ends 2 November 2010

With AF ending their tag-on flights to HAN and SGN (in favour of non stop flights to both destinations), a new tag-on flight from BKK will be introduced beginning 27 March 2011. Air France is going to Phnom Penh, Cambodia!

Phnom Penh, new destination
Wednesday 20 October 2010
http://corporate.air...ion/?no_cache=1

Starting 27 March 2011, Air France will begin operating a new service between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Phnom Penh, the Cambodian capital. Flight bookings and ticket sales are now open.

The three weekly flights between Paris and Phnom Penh, with a stopover in Bangkok, will be operated by Airbus A340-300 equipped with 275 seats (30 in Business, 21 in Premium Voyageur and 224 in Voyageur-Economy), and subsequently during summer 2011 by Boeing 777-200ER equipped with 309 seats (35 in Business, 24 in Premium Voyageur and 250 in Voyageur-Economy).

Flight schedules between Paris and Phnom Penh

Paris-CDG / Phnom Penh
AF 274, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
Departing at 19:30, and arriving in Bangkok at 11:50, the following day,
Departing for Phnom Penh the same day at 13:20, arriving at 14.35

Phnom Penh / Paris-CDG
AF 273, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
Departing at 20:15, and arriving in Bangkok at 21:30
Departing for Paris the same day at 22:55, and arriving at 06:10, the following day.
Flight times allow customers to benefit from convenient connecting opportunities to and from destinations worldwide at Paris-Charles de Gaulle.

Usually there will be a pair (since this service is only 3 weekly), now I wonder which other city that PNH is going to be paired with (that will receive the remaining 4 weekly service) from BKK. KUL?

Additional info on AF's flight changes in BKK, HAN and SGN.
  • Bangkok service becomes terminator flight, no longer extends to Vietnam (now apparently extends to Cambodia)
  • Hanoi service CANCELED. Service codeshare on Vietnam Airlines, operating 5 times a week
  • Ho Chi Minh NONSTOP 3 weekly 747-400 service, in addition to 2 weekly operated by Vietnam Airlines
  • NEW 3-class 777-300ER to operate service to Ho Chi Minh, replacing 747, from 04JAN11. Configuration on this flight is J23 W24 Y136

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users