MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Danial

Malaysia Airlines slapping me with 734s and old 738s.

I've flown 6 times already this year. Not even one 738 with IFE. WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE OPTED FOR MALINDO FOR THE RECENT FLIGHTS.

I've flown 6 times already this year. Not even one 738 with IFE. WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE OPTED FOR MALINDO FOR THE RECENT FLIGHTS.

I return from Kuching recently oo a new 738 with IFE (no head sets) and mood lighting but the food was something else...... :acute:

I return from Kuching recently oo a new 738 with IFE (no head sets) and mood lighting but the food was something else...... :acute:

Same here as was stuck with 734 and the 9M-ML... or ex firefly 738 registered aircrafts. The Malindo aircraft also lack headsets, so you better bring you own. Plenty of legroom though. Refreshment serve in economy is just sandwiches and a cup of water.

I have flown KUL-PEN-KUL twice this year, and I was lucky enough to get the new 738 with IFE. It's comfy with ample legroom.

I was even able to watch a short half hour show on my personal screen.

Recently came back from JHB with the old 734....seriously, it's time to retire this place. It's soooooo old. The lightings are dull, the seats look worn out and it stinks!

My first and only MH B737-800 flight thus far from BKI-KUL was 9M-MXM - sky interior. Guess I was lucky...

Normally they will send 9M-ML* series birds.

There are no specific patterns for the aircrafts utilized. I have seen ML series going as far as SGN, and MX going for a route as short as KCH - BTU. So unless you know the dispatcher personally, I doubt there is any way to determine the rego in advance.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Same here as was stuck with 734 and the 9M-ML... or ex firefly 738 registered aircrafts. The Malindo aircraft also lack headsets, so you better bring you own. Plenty of legroom though. Refreshment serve in economy is just sandwiches and a cup of water.

I have flown KUL-PEN-KUL twice this year, and I was lucky enough to get the new 738 with IFE. It's comfy with ample legroom.

I was even able to watch a short half hour show on my personal screen.

Recently came back from JHB with the old 734....seriously, it's time to retire this place. It's soooooo old. The lightings are dull, the seats look worn out and it stinks!

If 30" seat pitch feel ample legroom, MH was not wrong to reduce 34" seat pitch to 32" on A380 and A33E.

I always think is a "lucky draw" when you flying with MH 738 as they have 2 types...BSI and non BSI...

For me (and I know i'm in the minority here) - lucky draw is when i get a NON-BSI bird.

I find them roomier (example - in row 5, the bulkhead only extends halfway down to the floor, so you can slip your legs under. On the BSI birds, the bulkhead blocks this. On non bulkhead rows, the non BSI birds somehow also feel roomier.

In J, row 1 (especially on the left hand side A/C seats) - you can almost build an 18 hole golf course, tennis court and olympic sized swimming pool there with the leg room. Same goes for non bulkhead - there just seems to be more pitch on the old birds.

Sure, you trade off the PTV ... but there's nothing on there that you can't buy from a DVD shop or download and watch on a proper TV at home. In most cases, these flights are so short you'll never reach the end of most movies anyway. (I think the euphemism here is potong stim or something like that :p)

I fly on these 738's every week - there's only so much TV you can take. Any day i'll prefer the room over the ptv.

Switch over to a better aircraft. A drop in the passenger rate will get noticed by the Management, and hopefully some wise decision to be made eg..changing to a newer air fleet.

My only experience with MH's PTV on the 738 was in reality an almost non event :)

Safety briefing was screened, but the screen went blank in Y - could have tried harder to strain watching the screens in J if I was that interested I suppose. Then there was a long period with rebooting messages rolling, much like the credits at end of a movie. When the AVOD finally came on (we were already climbing out), response was so slow it was hard to believe the thing was working (much like this pc at times) Took a few minutes to return to 'home' screen whilst everything froze and no amount of touching, poking, tapping, pinching, swiping (and verbal abuse) made any difference

Then I noticed my wife also attempting the same futile maneuvers on her screen, only more ernestly. So I abandoned my efforts, sat back and enjoyed that segment of inflight entertainment instead :D

What routes are you talking about? KUL-PEN-KUL is the only domestic route I take, at least once a year. I guess we're pretty lucky to have -MX series operating this route quite frequently. IFE was not on though, so it didn't make any difference. Just bring your own gadgets to keep occupied.

My first and only MH B737-800 flight thus far from BKI-KUL was 9M-MXM - sky interior. Guess I was lucky...

Normally they will send 9M-ML* series birds.

It is very much a lucky draw as Teo said. The non-BSI (9M-MLA to 9M-MLL) and Firefly B737-800 are not specifically assigned to any route. Anyway, lucky me, so far most of the MAS B737-800 i have flown in between BKI/KUL are mostly the new BSI one :p

I checked in my flight to KL tomorrow last night and the seat map shown is a B737-400 one. Knowing there aren't many 734 left in MAS active operating fleet, i am actually kind of happy that a 734 will be operating my flight tomorrow. MAS 734 is old but it is so much better than the non-BSI 738. Hate the non-BSI 738 to the bone!

I always think is a "lucky draw" when you flying with MH 738 as they have 2 types...BSI and non BSI...

Agreed.

For me (and I know i'm in the minority here) - lucky draw is when i get a NON-BSI bird.

You definitely are :D Those non-BSI birds actually have tighter seat pitch in Y (standard rows) at 29" seat pitch instead of 30" seat pitch.

One thing i don't get about MAS brand new BSI 738 is the installation of 4x IFE boxes beneath each row of seats in Y class. And the IFE box is definitely bigger than other airlines which use the same entertainment system. A big shame on the seat pitch on MAS 738 (both BSI and non-BSI). Flew on a brand new MAS BSI 738 to KL last month, then transferred to AF 772ER two hours later and the difference in legroom was easily noticeable! The AF 772ER definitely has very small aisle but the seat pitch is so much roomier!

Edited by Isaac

Did KUL - BKK - KUL run twice this year.

Once on the MLx series. One MXx and another MSx.

While I wanted to be on the BSI fleet, I never really watched the PTV.

Emer exit row on MLx series much better than the MSx series.

MXx series J class. nothing exciting.

In conclusion, there is no pull for me to fly MH. This BKK run was the first time I started flying MH, and the boarding process on a Narrow Body is so damn frustrating, especially when they don't do it right, and everybody just makes a run for it.

Not unless you are in semenanjung where you are spoilt with choice like FFly or Malindo, I guess our fellow Msians will have to content with the smelly hardboard seats of MH for awhile.

Overhere, its always either this smaller airlines' fleet or travel by road.MH will loose out big time if it does not revamp its short haul fleets in Malaysia.

It is very much a lucky draw as Teo said. The non-BSI (9M-MLA to 9M-MLL) and Firefly B737-800 are not specifically assigned to any route. Anyway, lucky me, so far most of the MAS B737-800 i have flown in between BKI/KUL are mostly the new BSI one :p

I checked in my flight to KL tomorrow last night and the seat map shown is a B737-400 one. Knowing there aren't many 734 left in MAS active operating fleet, i am actually kind of happy that a 734 will be operating my flight tomorrow. MAS 734 is old but it is so much better than the non-BSI 738. Hate the non-BSI 738 to the bone!

Agreed.

You definitely are :D Those non-BSI birds actually have tighter seat pitch in Y (standard rows) at 29" seat pitch instead of 30" seat pitch.

One thing i don't get about MAS brand new BSI 738 is the installation of 4x IFE boxes beneath each row of seats in Y class. And the IFE box is definitely bigger than other airlines which use the same entertainment system. A big shame on the seat pitch on MAS 738 (both BSI and non-BSI). Flew on a brand new MAS BSI 738 to KL last month, then transferred to AF 772ER two hours later and the difference in legroom was easily noticeable! The AF 772ER definitely has very small aisle but the seat pitch is so much roomier!

Yes, the non-BSI birds have tighter pitch in standard rows. But i'll always go 5/12/14 - in those three rows, non BSI EASILY beats BSI. So from my own perspective (mine alone) - kena-ing 4D is when i get a non-BSI bird :)

My friend flying to taipei from KUL was treated a 9M-ML series aircraft (for 5 hours flight)... And im flying to taipei too this december... God bless me

Currently there is no uniformity in 737 hardware, it really does depend on your luck, whichever bird you prefer. Personally I do not like this kind of unpredictability, although some people may enjoy it.

Service wise too - for example, sometimes earphones given for you to keep, sometimes collected back. I am not sure why.

My friend flying to taipei from KUL was treated a 9M-ML series aircraft (for 5 hours flight)... And im flying to taipei too this december... God bless me

I flew to Delhi in the 9M-ML series aircraft to Delhi (5 hours flight) and I almost wanted to go nuts..lucky thing is that the PTV is working fine...Narrow body is definitely not for 5 hours flight (in my opinion).. note to self, avoid at all cost... :p

I got MXB for my BKI-KCH flight during 2011, just 2 months into service ! After that I've never tried any -MX series 738, so far only 2 -FF series...hopefully will try my luck again this December to LGK..

Flew MLR last week and brand new interior. IIRC she was still in older interior back in Jan/Feb.

Flew MLR last week and brand new interior. IIRC she was still in older interior back in Jan/Feb.

I thought MLR is already fitted with BSI from the factory right?

Anyways, I'm trying to get the MS-series since I've already flown on the MX, ML & FF-series. Had so many close calls especially to/from KCH!

Traveling BKI>KUL vice versa regularly. Seldom use the IFE's on the BSI planes on MAS and Malindo. I even jammed Malindo's IFE when i tested a puzzle game. It froze and would not operate and the FAs did not know how to rectify it. A farcry from the smoothness of smartphones and tablets. For seat pitch Malindo is much better. As what planes i would avoid it would be ex Firefly 9M-FF* planes the seats were terrible and looked dated n only emergency exit seats have ample legroom. For ML* series i only flew onboard 9M-MLH once it was okay didn't looked old. MX and MS series on the other hand are the same minus the raft above the emergency exit ceiling for MS. So for me i'd choose good seat pitch over IFE. :lol:

Edited by jahur

Sign in to follow this