MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KS Ong

AirAsia A320neo Unveiling

It was a day to be remembered, 15 September 2016, at the KLIA SAE Hangar. AirAsia unveiled their A320neo, 9M-NEO. This aircraft is part of their whopping 404 aircraft order powered by two new generation; CFM International LEAP-1A engines. The upgrade promise to deliver better range, lower carbon emission and imporved fuel effiencies.Malaysianwings had the privilaged to be invited by AirAsia and Malaysia Airports to cover this momentous ceremony.

Banner_zpsnqaurfgq.jpg

Part of the CFM LEAP-1A fan blade. It feels plasticky but at the same time, solid.

Leap%20fan%20blade_zpspcqtwmyp.jpg

AirAsia cabin crew is a must in all these type of functions

DSC_1951_zpsiprtbb7y.jpg

DSC_1957_zps6f5gpa7r.jpg

Guest and staffs waiting for the ceremony to start

DSC_0234_zps2frnhs0w.jpg

DSC_0231_zps5trc7mxa.jpg

DSC_1966_zpsxl7dqdbg.jpg

DSC_0248_zpslvvtaqhe.jpg

We were shown the development of the A320neo program and the special colour paint process.

DSC02642_zpss6hmm5qa.jpg

DSC_0256_zps9c5ttt3i.jpg

DSC02647_zpsqebf3ewk.jpg

The moment we have all been waiting for when this Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara appreared with Tan Sri Tony and Datuk Kamarudin at the back.

DSC_1982_zpsaberyfl2.jpg

And the A320neo followed behind all the way into the hangar. Our fellow mwinger, an AK neo engineer, was inside the neo flightdeck.

DSC_1988_zpsvbbbod0n.jpg

DSC_0264_zpshe0xzklf.jpg

DSC_0274_zpstxlhekqp.jpg

DSC_0288_zpsenuv4okp.jpg

And the speech formality began.

DSC_0321_zpsuye4tken.jpg

DSC_0315_zpsbzzaywjn.jpg

DSC_0322_zpsifzo3e5u.jpg

DSC_0316_zpsvmqx0jak.jpg

DSC_2131_zpspbm8z8tp.jpg

Pleanty of models to go around. The neo models will be on sale soon.

DSC_2155_zpsvngwwgoy.jpg

More to come later...

They did have the Mirus seats installed, you can't see it because the leather seat covers are the same as A320ceo leather seat covers but you can tell the seats is visibly thinner than the A320ceo ones and armrest design is different and slimmer in width. Me being 6 feet tall, the seat is comfy for KUL-BKI flight and my knees still have a bit of clearance from touching the seat in front.

One of the A320ceo also have Mirus seats installed. Can't remember which rego though.

Edited by Adrian M

One of the A320ceo also have Mirus seats installed. Can't remember which rego though.

If I'm not mistaken, A320ceo with Mirus seat is 9M-AJA, as this aircraft was shown during Skytrax Award previously.