MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

KUL Weather related diversions 1/12

I noticed that a number of flights were diverted on Saturday 1/12 from KUL due to weather. I could see 3x MH A380s (MH8023, MH67 and MH87) diverted to Changi and GA 816 to Medan. From FR 24 it looks like some flights were landing so I'm curious how bad the weather must have been for the diversions and why the AK 320's can land but not a MH 380?

I'm curious how bad the weather must have been for the diversions and why the AK 320's can land but not a MH 380?

Because weather is notoriously erratic. What one aircraft experiences might be quite different from another just moments later.

And just because the AK pilots felt safe landing in that weather doesn't mean the MH A380 pilots should feel the same way.

If anything, MH should be praised for taking steps to avoid another SDW incident.

Don't know whether due to weather, separation requirement, etc; on last Friday afternoon, queued for about 30 minutes to take off and counted 8 aircraft behind us.

A380s b748s and 777s equipped with ge-90 have been known to cause wake turbulence for subsequent narrowbody aircrafts behind them. A separation amounting min of 3-4 minutes or more for departure and approaches is required. Widebody to widebody may be lesser.

As for KUL there was definitely bad weather during that hour. What I noticed for Sabah on whenever there's weather every traffic will be holding and Ak will always be the one to requesting to attempt an approach. Once an ak has landed u see other traffic's such as MAS, China southern and xiamen airlines and the koreans will request to try out. If the ak goes around everyone continues to hold until the weather dies out. Lol

Edited by jahur

I noticed that a number of flights were diverted on Saturday 1/12 from KUL due to weather. I could see 3x MH A380s (MH8023, MH67 and MH87) diverted to Changi and GA 816 to Medan. From FR 24 it looks like some flights were landing so I'm curious how bad the weather must have been for the diversions and why the AK 320's can land but not a MH 380?

There were at least 3 AK's diverted to JHB on the 1/12.

AK5643 from MYY, AK5747 from TWU and AK135 from HKG.

Edited by Pall

In my area, some 40km from Sepang, the rain was torrential.

In places like Europe, bad weather could mean things like fog, where nobody can land for days. Here it is most likely associated with a thunderstorm, where the real problem is not visibility but wind speed and direction. Thunderstorm normally lasts about 20 minutes; the rain will persist for a little bit longer. However, those holding for weather improvement will have to wait for their turn and whoever didn't have the holding power (aka fuel) will have to divert.

I think there is quite a big probability of microbursts during those thunderstorms.

Yes, that is the major problem.

Sign in to follow this