MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Rozhan

HMA Trainer Plane Accident

Heard over TV3 news just now about a HMA aircraft accident, and something from Bernama:

Light Aircraft Crashes At Sea, Pilot Saved

NIBONG TEBAL, Feb 9 (Bernama) -- A light aircraft, Diamond DA40 type, crashed in Pulau Aman waters here Friday afternoon, but the pilot was reported to be saved.

Seberang Perai Selatan police chief DSP Zainal Abdul Aziz said in the 6pm incident, the plane known as "Maha 521" was revolving in the air before crashing into the sea.

The pilot, Noor Azlan Yazid, was reported to have ejected to safety and was later saved by several fishermen in the area, and efforts to bring him ashore are underway.

A search for the wreckage of the aircraft owned by a private company is also being conducted.

-- BERNAMA

Was anyone else on board? It's really makes you think... i just heard Maha 521 on the radio today as I was flying to Ipoh... anything can happen at anytime.

Thank God he survived though.

Edited by Isaac Christie

If it is Maha 521 then it is most likely a solo flight. As practised at all Malaysian flying schools, a pilot is given a callsign; instructors are normally assigned the lower number. The callsign used belongs to the pilot-in-command. If you hear Maha 01, that is Major (rtd.) Radzi, the principal. Xray means a twin-engined flight, Tango is a test being conducted.

Ejected from a DA-40? Wonder if it is the same reporter that report about the MH A300(!) doing BKI-KUL, had engine problem 2 hours into the flight (by my calculation, about to descend into KUL) then divert back to BKI. Joker.

Latest:

Cool Head Saves Trainee Pilot's Life

PENANG, Feb 10 (Bernama) -- A collected mind and quick action in the nick of time saved the life of a Malaysia Airlines (MAS) trainee pilot whose Diamond DA 40 light training aircraft crashed into the sea two nautical miles south of Pulau Aman near here Friday.

After the aircraft developed an engine problem, Nor Azlan Yazid, 25, kicked its door open and jumped into the water.

"Azlan who wore a life jacket was plucked to safety by a fisherman who saw the mishap," said Civil Aviation Department (DCA) director Ooi Chean Ong when met at the Pantai Hospital here Friday.

Azlan, who was unhurt in the incident, has been admitted at the hospital for observation.

He was flying the plane on a solo training flight when the mishap happened after he left the Bayan Lepas International Airport here for Ipoh at 5.30 pm.

The training was conducted by the Langkawi-based HM Aerospace Flight School, which owned the aircraft.

Ooi said that Azlan, who is from Selangor, was believed to have circled in the air to look for a site to make an emergency landing after the aircraft developed the engine problem.

The trainee pilot, who has clocked 70 flying hours, sent a distress signal to the Royal Malaysian Air Force control tower in Butterworth.

Three boats from the Northern Region Marine Police raced to the scene after it was alerted at 5.45 pm, said its operations officer ASP Fadziya Mat.

He said that Azlan was already on the fisherman's boat when they reached the scene.

They then took him to the Batu Uban Marine Base before police sent him to the hospital, he said.

Fadziya said a search operation had been mounted to look for the wreckage of the aircraft, believed to have sunk to the sea bottom at a depth of eight metres.

Meanwhile, a restaurant operator in Pulau Aman, Abdul Halim Ayob, said that he saw the aircraft circle in the air before it plunged into the sea near a fish cage at the mouth of Sungai Udang at 5.40pm.

"I rushed to have a closer look and saw the pilot at the door of the aircraft as it was coming down but he managed to jump out just before it nose-dived into the water," he told reporters here Friday.

The fisherman who rescued Azlan, Hean Soon Boi, 55, said that he saw the aircraft hit the water as he was casting his net.

"As I went nearer to the scene, I saw the pilot floating in the water. I couldn't pull him out of the water so I gave him a rope and it took me about 10 minutes to bring him onboard my sampan before the Marine Police turned up," he said.

-- BERNAMA

Link: http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=246139

On the midnight news, footage of the trainee pilot showed he was in high spirits, still in his uniform which looked fine despite what he went through earlier.

Guest TL007

Yeah, he's a really cool and collected guy for as long as i know him. He stays just next door to me in our hostel,and it's MAHA 621 btw,not 521 as we're from batch 6 from HMA.......

Hmm...i was shock when i heard the news from my friend. later my friend told me that he is saved by the fisherman....anyway the callsign suppose to be MAHA 6.. not MAHA 521 because he is from batch 6 and not batch 5. By the way, thanks god that he is save and hopefully this incident won't happen again. Good luck to others who are flying and happy landings.....

Yeah, he's a really cool and collected guy for as long as i know him. He stays just next door to me in our hostel,and it's MAHA 621 btw,not 521 as we're from batch 6 from HMA.......

TL007 ,

Ey man , read instructions thoroughly . When you join , it is a requirement for you to use your REAL NAME

You're a cadet ah ? :blink:

Oh..so callsigns got something to do with batch also...

Interesting..

Yes Radzi, hope to meet the cool guy .

Now having removed that 'EJECT', the second news cutting makes more sense :rolleyes: Looking back during my day when i had smoke in the cockpit =@

Anybody got the registration of the crashed aircraft? Wonder if I have the picture in the database.

9M-HMQ

Thank you.

Yes, I do have the picture in the database.

I'm quite sure the aircraft is insured. Wonder if the airframe will ever fly again.

There was a light a/c crash in the sea off Pulau Aman, Penang, a few days ago. Any of you is aware of this? Any early speculation of the crash?

Thanks goodness the pilot was safe!

Hmm...if i'm not mistaken,it's a HMA D40 a/c crashed few days ago...The pilot was safe and sound.

Hi

I am a swedish journalist collecting info about Diamond D40. I am covering a fatal crash last year in the Baltic sea wich killed all three onboard.

Cause of crash is under investigation by the Swedish and Austrian air accident investigation boards. The craft was on transfer from Austria.

Are there any conclusions yet from the investigation of this crash in Kuala Lumpur.

The way I see it, aircraft accident investigations in Malaysia are cloacked in great secrecy and the findings of such investigations never make it in the press!

31 years ago a Sabah Air Nomad crashed on approach to BKI - I believe findings of the resulting investigation has not been revealed yet (not to us mere mortals anyway !)

So banjoatte, looks like patience in large doses may be a very necessary attribute here :)

A warm welcome btw

Edited by BC Tam

31 years ago a Sabah Air Nomad crashed on approach to BKI - I believe findings of the resulting investigation has not been revealed yet (not to us mere mortals anyway !)

So banjoatte, looks like patience in large doses may be a very necessary attribute here :)

A warm welcome btw

speaking about transparency in our country...-.-"

Sign in to follow this