MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Wai Hung

How to listen to local ATC?

hi everyone,

nowadays i can find landing and takeoff videos with the atc communication with it on youtube and so on...

my question is,

how do i listen to local ATC?

i found some links on the internet which allows me to listen to ATC from other countries, but its through the net..

what equipments/radios i need in order to listen to the ATC?

thanks,

oh yeah by the way, is it illegal?

you need a "receiver"for listen local ATC service (also you can find it as "scanner").

I don't know where you are, but scanners or receivers can not sell in public use the most of countries. Also if you find to buy it maybe you have get at least "amateur radiomen licence". example in my country.

If it sells in normal eletronic shops in your country and they don't need any authorisation papers from you, it means there is no problem about you have buy it and use it. Example in USA and UK.

but, these are just only for "scanners" or "receivers" not for transreceivers capability. if you have transreveiver capability devices you must have licencethis is obligation for air traffic safety.

you must be carefull about buying a scanner; it has got description for use listen "air band -VHF" VHF frequencies are begins 118.000 to 135.000hz. if your device antenna power is enough you can listen local ATC service without any problem where ever you are (maybe you need external antenna about 2mt in top of your house, it would be great for unbreakable listen) other wise, you must go to an open are to see ATC facilities antenna.

Hand receivers (basicly) does work antenna to antenna. You can listen airplanes in air , there is no problem but ATC service is on the gorund level so you have so many buildings between you.

for listen "clear communication" , near of airports are would be great everytimes.

Scanners (receives) prices are begins 80£+VAT in UK up to 150£. usuable recievers models are from ICOM generally but avarage prices are 200$. you can find YAESU model transreceivers. They are great and best buy. don't care transreceivers. This models protected of transmission for airband. you can listen but can't not send transmission :) (in between 118 to 135hz)

you can listen live atc on internet ;

www.liveatc.net

www.atcbox.com (you must be member but free)

Wai, thats true, there is no receiver or scanner in KL. When I was searched in KL, I went Low Yat plaza last and found a shop about transreceivers (or likes) devices, I asked to manager and he said me " receivers or transreceivers not allowed in Malaysia for public sales". I explained -scanners-what does it for but he said me can not find in here Malaysia or Singapore, if I have chance to visit HK maybe can found or have more chance to find it.

actually I've amateur radioman licence but even this situation, I can't find in Turkey. For your safety agains laws, I advice, if you have a chance to reach any telecomunication ministers official division, ask them and get your licence if you are available. it is so easy for amateurs.

Edited by hakan737

Wai Hung, scanners not sold in Malaysia, neither can you bring it in from overseas. Illegal item.

unless you're a pilot or with Radio Telephony license.

Yes... I don't think scanner/receiver/transceiver a 'banned' item,

only that you need a license to operate one...

You can buy them by producing your license to 'licensed supplier'

Not off-the-shelf purchase..

Similar to driving... you don't have license, you can't drive... :pardon:

Yes... I don't think scanner/receiver/transceiver a 'banned' item,

only that you need a license to operate one...

You can buy them by producing your license to 'licensed supplier'

Not off-the-shelf purchase..

Similar to driving... you don't have license, you can't drive... :pardon:

Yup, first get some clues here.

http://www.mcmc.gov.my/mcmc/facts_figures/...%20for%20AA.asp

Then can try your luck by filling up this form. :nea:

http://www.mcmc.gov.my/what_we_do/spectrum...ile_Service.pdf

anyone went to those electronic shops in pudu before, near lrt pudu, opposite the fire station,

there's this shop selling all kinds of radio, walkie talkie, and whatever it is regarding radios,

and i think they have this illegal satellite thing which can receive astro channels without paying..

i didnt ask the staff whether they have any of those receivers,

but anyone went there b4?

you can try walkie-talkie, but be very extra careful with it.

I used to use walkie-talkie when i went spotting it houston. But the channel is very limited and you can't get all the station you want. My WT has a 5 miles range. not all airport using the same signal since my WT works well in Houston but i can't get a thing when i was in DFW.

Sign in to follow this