MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

AirAsia X to Lease A343s

After the landslide blunders created by MH since the last couple of months, I think the forum need a good news to balance up the emotional sentiment towards Malaysian carriers.

At the moment, it was widely speculated in A.Net that AirAsia X (D7) is going to lease 2 Airbus 340-600 for their operation to Europe. The rumour first popped out on 9 January 2008 and since then 2 threads have been discussing the topic.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...d.main/3785468/

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...d.main/3846731/

There is no concrete source on where D7 is going to get the A346s. Some says from CX, other says from QR. The newest rumour saying that D7 is going to lease direct from Airbus and the aircrafts are newly built frames.

I hope we can use this thread to monitor the progress of this news whether it is true or not AirAsia X is going to get the said aircrafts.

Exciting isn't it, if this rumour materialised, we'll have 2 A346 with 9M registration numbers. The first of its kind in Malaysia!

Whatever plane as long it would be cheap for me to fulfill my dreams to watch a live match at Old Trafford !! Oh yeah .. the match is starting soon

check out this.......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific it said 2 of a346 to be leased to Air Asia X ... Rumours that to be true.

Way to go AirAsia.... exciting it is as AirAsia is evolving at the fastest pace ever... while some big morron Govt aided Airline drown in its own jet fuel!!! :rofl:

If this is true, I'm glad that AAX decides to serve European destinations non-stop on A346 instead of one-stop via SHJ (or wherever) on A333. MAS is my preferred choice because of its service, PTV and nonstop service, but I have always been willing to trade some of these for a lower fare and fly with EK, GF, KL instead - the reason why I haven't flown MH longhaul since 2005 (except for company-paid trips). For me at least, the convenience of a nonstop service is a big plus :good:

Was just talking about this the other day and I would agree that it is wise to grab the 346 ...

I wouldn't be surprised that the ones that are with CX now end up with D7 ..

Now , its whether they can fill that huge aircraft .

There is no concrete source on where D7 is going to get the A346s. Some says from CX, other says from QR. The newest rumour saying that D7 is going to lease direct from Airbus and the aircrafts are newly built frames.

Wasn't that confirmed earlier by Hainan Airlines that they are going to take over the 3x A346 which will leave CX's fleet soon?

It is confirmed through ILFC press releases that the 3x A346s are headed for Hainan Airlines. The speculation of D7 getting A346's are that they are directly from Airbus, so it can't be the A346s from CX as they are owned by ILFC.

At present, Emirates large order for the A346 is still unaccounted for now that they aren't going for the aircraft. QR is also not taking their A346s so again this provides a large number of slots for airlines like D7 to take them up. Don't be surprised to see if it is a new aircraft from Airbus.

Originally the plan was to operate via intermediate port like SHarjah to London but I think Air Asia realise that there is a lot more demand for direct services. With a A346 they are surely able to pack them in literally like sardines. That's going to be a fun 12 hour trip! :)

Alex.

With a A346 they are surely able to pack them in literally like sardines. That's going to be a fun 12 hour trip! :)

Sadistic though ! :)

Edited by BC Tam

There is no concrete source on where D7 is going to get the A346s. Some says from CX, other says from QR.

If no new ones from Airbus, they could be very well ex QR, as published in the Aviation Week & Space Technology issue of 17dec07: The initial 777, delivered on Nov.29, is the first factory new Boeing aircraft used by the formerly all-Airbus airline, and it will gradually oust its archrival A340-600 from the fleet. Combined with the even longer range potential of the -200LR, the -300ER's soon-to-arrive sibling, the switch to the 777 therefore marks a strategic turning point for the carrier and the architect of its bold expansion plan, CEO Akbar Al Baker.

Nov.29 was one day previous to my transit at DOH: see photo of the parked 773 in my Flight Logbook TR :pardon:

The cabin-configuration 'downgrade' from QR to D7 will cost the leasing-company a lot of money, though...

That's what i read in the local Chinese newspaper here as well. Mr TF also mentioned that MH had made a wrong decision for not making order for new aircraft.

I believe Air Asia X is going to lease the A340's from Virgin Atlantic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Wilson Kook

I wonder A346 is a right choice? fuel consumption high. It is not a cost effective deal for LCC like Air Asia. :rolleyes:

"Airbus expects to win orders for more than 100 of its long- range A350 jets this year. The planemaker said today Malaysian carrier AirAsia X Sdn. is considering buying as many as 25 A350 aircraft." http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=con...id=a9waKBgdgsZ4 Very nice!

Will there be any changes for D7's current order of 15 A333s with 10 option?

Whoa! 10 abreast!

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-...Hash=8486628db9

Airbus mulls 10-abreast A350XWB for AirAsia

By Julian Moxon February 21, 2008

Aircraft

Airbus is studying 10-abreast seating for its A350WXB following interest from low-cost airlines including AirAsia, which has inquired a potential 25-aircraft order.

"Ten-abreast looks doable for AirAsia," said Airbus chief operating officer-customers, John Leahy. "It would be at least as comfortable as the A330/A340 with nine-abreast seating." Currently, the A350WXB is offered with eight-abreast seating for "high comfort" and nine across for "extra high efficiency."

According to Airbus president Tom Enders, the A350XWB has become the "fastest selling jet aircraft of all time," with 310 firm orders from 15 customers since the aircraft re-launched in July 2006. A further 10 airlines hold letters of intent, and Leahy predicted orders this year "will exceed 100 aircraft."

Meanwhile, intensive talks with GE Aviation have failed to produce an alternative engine to the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 powering all three versions of the A350XWB. GE Aviation has proposed its Boeing 787 GEnx for the A350XWB-800 and -900, but will not meet Airbus' demands for a single engine also capable of powering the larger

-1000, which competes directly with the GE-powered Boeing 777-300ER.

"The idea is that the engine manufacturers suit their engines to our needs, not the other way around," said Leahy. The GE Aviation/Pratt & Whitney Engine Alliance powering the A380 is considering a growth version of the A380's GP7200, but its director, of product marketing, Al Creque, expressed frustration. "Rolls-Royce has a free run. Someone has to make a decision soon," he said.

Orders for the A380 now stand at 192 firm from 16 customers, including the three extra aircraft for Korea announced just before the show. "We've regained momentum," said Leahy. "We think we'll sell another 27 or so this year." He explained the grounding on February 19 of Singapore Airlines' sole in-service A380 after a fuel pump failure as a "glitch."

"Reliability has been excellent–comparable with aircraft that have been flying for years," said Leahy.