MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Northern Winter 2012 Operational Changes

Malaysian airlines (MH and AK too) attack Kathmandu, Nepal.

Two Malaysian airlines to fly to Nepal

REPUBLICA

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=24325

KATHMANDU, Oct 13: Two Malaysian carriers - Malaysian Airlines and Air Asia - are preparing to start scheduled flights to Katmandu from December or early January. Malaysian Airlines is the national carrier of Malaysia, while Air Asia is a low cost carrier.

Prasiddha Bahadur Pandey, the president of Hotel Association of Nepal (HAN), expressed the hope that tourists arrival to the country will increase once the two airlines start flights. “More than 7,000 Malaysian tourists visit Nepal every year. The number will double after the two airlines start scheduled flight,” Pandey, who recently returned Kathmandu after a week-long promotional visit of HAN, said.

“Air Asia is a low cost carrier. We are hopeful of getting good number of visitors from the South East Asian nation.”

He also said Nepal should focus on regional market as the country does not have direct flights from Europe and US.

“A large number of quality tourists are coming to different Asian nations. We should devise programs accordingly to bring them here,” Pandey added.

The delegation also met Malaysian Tourism Minister Ng Yen Yen. “The Malaysian minister was aware of Nepal´s tourism potentials and tourism products,” Pandey added.

Various programs were organized during the week-long campaign to promote Nepal Tourism Year 2011.

I wonder why is the sudden interest? Anyway, with MH and AK on the route, Nepal Airlines and SilkAir (via SIN) should expect a very tough competition.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Malaysian airlines (MH and AK too) attack Kathmandu, Nepal.

I wonder why is the sudden interest? Anyway, with MH and AK on the route, Nepal Airlines and SilkAir (via SIN) should expect a very tough competition.

Why are both MH and AK starting flights to Kathmandu at the same time?? I wonder who started it first... <_>

Why are both MH and AK starting flights to Kathmandu at the same time?? I wonder who started it first... <_>

this is not new for mas. i have knew about this in year 2007/2008. back then there was a kind of business tv program (forgot the name) aired on tv3 every friday, 7 pm. they invited the key people of mas to shared the new development of mas after the business turnaround plan. when been asked about is there any possibility new destinations on the future, the mas key people answered that mas is keen to fly to kathmandu and resumes flight to kolkata....

this is not new for mas. i have knew about this in year 2007/2008. back then there was a kind of business tv program (forgot the name) aired on tv3 every friday, 7 pm. they invited the key people of mas to shared the new development of mas after the business turnaround plan. when been asked about is there any possibility new destinations on the future, the mas key people answered that mas is keen to fly to kathmandu and resumes flight to kolkata....

So AK is following MH in this instance.

From here Kuala Lumpur – London Heathrow MH004/001 Boeing 777-200ER :angry: replace 747-400, Removal of First Class service on 26 SEP 11. But night flight is still 747 Edited by Cheng Kit

Perhaps one of the B744 is going for heavy check, therefore some reshuffling. With more A330-323X coming onboard, MH has more planes to shuffle around now.

Is this permanent or temporary? I thought LHR is making a real good business for MAS and always quite full, down from 747-400 to a triple seven?

Hmm...wanders what those flyers on this route would think about this, but anyway, A380 is coming soon...wanders what my cousin will think about this...:)

Also MEL downgraded to 333. Reflecting competition and demand on this route?

And planned upgrades to the new 333 on some of the DXB routes have been canned! So MH has obviously given up on the DXB route to EK. Who wants to fly in MH's time machines (aka 330s) versus EK's 77Ws/ A380s?

Is it time for a refurbishment (747)? Hope so...

They will be up for retirement.

They will be up for retirement.

MH1 is a pretty busy flight and moving it to a 777 is crazy. Just checked the MAS site for Nov/Dec and its still listed as a 744

MH1 is a pretty busy flight and moving it to a 777 is crazy. Just checked the MAS site for Nov/Dec and its still listed as a 744

MAS timetable search on website haven't update the info yet. Inventory is showing 777.

Edited by Jim Liu

MH4 afternoon arrival at LHR may not be as popular as MH2, hence smaller aircraft is justified. MH1 evening departure (for arriving SYD, MEL in the morning) is more in demand than MH3, by reducing capacity, MH will improve yield. Guess MH is trading number of pax for higher yield :pardon:

Believe the bulk of MH F class pax are royalty, GoM and MH executives and they prefer to travel on MH3 except those wish more time for shopping.

When MH A380 comes online, MH could always slash price :pardon:

:drinks:

MAS timetable search on website haven't update the info yet. Inventory is showing 777.

Already updated when I looked

masz.png

MH4 and MH1 will be the B772s

Believe the bulk of MH F class pax are royalty, GoM and MH executives

If this is factually correct, MH should just completely drop F. Left pocket to right pocket.

MH supposedly popular n only direct non-competition route also cant support 2 daily 744s - even when it was using the 744 for its morning flight - its never been really near full. Thats why MH should not even have ordered the A380s as then it will have to sell its tickets real cheap and negateany profitability - and esp when Emirates have intended to use its 380s into KUL.

I think that the A380 question is slightly different - there is a pull factor to flying on the A380. More demand is generated by virtue that the route is operated on the A380.

What MH must do is to ensure that the A380 services to and from LHR are properly connected to their A380 services to and from Australia. That way, more business can be won on the kangaroo route.

Already updated when I looked

masz.png

MH4 and MH1 will be the B772s

I was referring to Robert's comment on MAS website not showing the change because he was looking at timetable and not making actual booking.

If this is factually correct, MH should just completely drop F. Left pocket to right pocket.

Apart from MH executives, royalty and GoM are mostly paying full fare, very high yield and doubt they will permit MH to abolish F to LHR.

I was referring to Robert's comment on MAS website not showing the change because he was looking at timetable and not making actual booking.

yes you are correct

I believe MHs loads will experience organic growth wants they use the A380s on its kangaroo routes. Downgrading to the B777 is a sensible thing to do given that MHs A380s are high density A380s and it can't fathom them sustaining double A380 services. MH is probably downgrading LHR services to the B777 to prepare the ground for the arrival of the A380 and thus has to adjust its operations for the whalejet, which is due to arrive in April next year.

Also MEL downgraded to 333. Reflecting competition and demand on this route?

And planned upgrades to the new 333 on some of the DXB routes have been canned! So MH has obviously given up on the DXB route to EK. Who wants to fly in MH's time machines (aka 330s) versus EK's 77Ws/ A380s?

Technically MH is not downgrading its MEL services. The A330s are far superior, in terms of Y, and have the same capacity as the B777. However, the only problem is that they're meant for REGIONAL flights. I certainly don't think MEL is regional at all. It'll be competing with SQs A380s and EKs B77Ws on this route. Good luck.

I think the sudden change in schedules and the deployment of the A330s on longer haul routes, reflects MHs lack of a new long-haul product. The A380 will hardly to a dent. MH needs to find a long-haul workhorse to replace the B777s, ASAP, if it wants to compete. The A330s lie-flat J is certainly not the right recipe for a competitive long-haul J product.

sorry I meant angled lie flat J-seats

Sign in to follow this