MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

Your Transfer Experience

Hope some one would help my enquiry.

Planned a trip to DPS and LOP, ticket bought were KCH KUL DPS return on MH and DPS LOP return on GA. The question is on the return sector, LOP DPS with 2 hour in between before DPS KCH via KUL, is it possible to direct check in luggae from LOP to KCH?

another MW member, flying from KCH to ICN... KCH KUL on MH and KUL ICN via HAN on VN, can he check in direct from MH to ICN?

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

Hope some one would help my enquiry.

Planned a trip to DPS and LOP, ticket bought were KCH KUL DPS return on MH and DPS LOP return on GA. The question is on the return sector, LOP DPS with 2 hour in between before DPS KCH via KUL, is it possible to direct check in luggae from LOP to KCH?

another MW member, flying from KCH to ICN... KCH KUL on MH and KUL ICN via HAN on VN, can he check in direct from MH to ICN?

As March 2015 all full service carrier in KUL allow interlining baggage check in to final destination except when flying on LCC and not departing from different airport (eg arrival on CDG departing ORY). Just remember to show the check in luggage tag to next respective airlines for them to update into their system and check again while at boarding gate.

But the best is to ask again the carrier while check in at first departure point to avoid trouble. Hope it help doc.

Based on my recent experience, if a flight involves an international sector and then onto a domestic sector, then you need to go through the immigration and reclaim your baggage for custom check during transit, before you can proceed to the domestic sector. In this case, it will be your DPS-KUL-KCH

However if the flight involves a domestic sector and then onto an international sector, then you baggage may be check thru to your final destination, this will be your KCH-KUL-DPS.

Based on my recent experience, if a flight involves an international sector and then onto a domestic sector, then you need to go through the immigration and reclaim your baggage for custom check during transit, before you can proceed to the domestic sector. In this case, it will be your DPS-KUL-KCH

For Malaysia, I thought you clear customs on arrival at the domestic airport? Edited by Chris Tan

Based on my recent experience, if a flight involves an international sector and then onto a domestic sector, then you need to go through the immigration and reclaim your baggage for custom check during transit, before you can proceed to the domestic sector.

I know of at least one exception, LHR-BKI

Pax get checked at immigration at KUL, baggage goes straight through

At BKI, we normally walk straight past the customs officers (smiling sweetly of course) :)

For Malaysia, I thought you clear customs on arrival at the domestic airport?

I have not done that in Malaysia, but it happens to us in Japan where we are required to retrieve our baggage on arrival from an international flight for custom formality before check in again for the connecting domestic flight, even though we have already checked thru to the final destination at the origin airport. (the baggage tag shows our final destination)

I believe the same procedure in Australia as well unless the final domestic flight arrives at the International Terminal.

With the way it works in Malaysia, is there any possibility a foreigner enters the country without going thru the custom properly by having a connecting domestic flight as his / her final sector (especially when the domestic flight arrives at domestic terminal) ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

In KUL (KLIA1), all transit passengers from an international flight to a domestic flight are required to go through the immigration counters located at the MTB. As for KLIA2, it is the same procedure located at K & L gates, where the immigration check out or check in are located.

With the way it works in Malaysia, is there any possibility a foreigner enters the country without going thru the custom properly by having a connecting domestic flight as his / her final sector (especially when the domestic flight arrives at domestic terminal) ?

There are customs officers at the domestic arrivals' baggage hall. I found it strange at first, but I was told they're only interested in the bags from international connections

There are customs officers at the domestic arrivals' baggage hall. I found it strange at first, but I was told they're only interested in the bags from international connections

Ok, thanks for the clarifications

Just to make sure smiling sweetly at the custom officers as per Mr Tam's experience :)

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Here at BKI, we have three different categories of arrivals

First the 'pure' international arrivals, in my experience all kena go through x-ray screen regardless of 'green lane' passage

At other end of spectrum, the intra-Sabah & Labuan arrivals, where no one gives a hoot

It's the in between category, Peninsular & Sarawak arrivals, where Kastam officers have discretion whether to be 'interested'

My quip about sweet smiles was just in jest, those officers are not dumb - a quick glance at the luggage tag will quickly identify whether it was domestic or foreign in origin :)

Sharing my KUL-Belfast City transfer experience. The first time I flew I got randomly stopped by a very free customs officer and had my bags checked. The second time I flew I just walked straight through since there were no customs counter and officers.

First the 'pure' international arrivals, in my experience all kena go through x-ray screen regardless of 'green lane' passage

At other end of spectrum, the intra-Sabah & Labuan arrivals, where no one gives a hoot

It's the in between category, Peninsular & Sarawak arrivals, where Kastam officers have discretion whether to be 'interested'

My quip about sweet smiles was just in jest, those officers are not dumb - a quick glance at the luggage tag will quickly identify whether it was domestic or foreign in origin :)

Yes KCH custom officers are also very good at this. They screened by bags every single time when its was a tag without orange stripes.

My not-very-pleasant experience with the customs was probably during one of the CNY period few years ago, where there's a long queue for the screening machine. To ease the waiting time and queue, they randomly selected a few 'unfortunately ones' and requested us to open our bags to be checked. Don't really enjoying this experience as I have to open my (messy) luggage in front of a lot of other passengers in the public. Thought they'll usually only ask you to open your bags if they see something 'suspicious' from the machine...

My experience with the BKI custom seems to be more stringent than their Peninsular counterpart. In KUL, nobody gives a hoot.

In the past KUL custom (1980s - early 2000s) gives a hoot because they wanted some under the table money.

In the past when

1) there were foreign flights making domestic transits before terminating at KUL and

2) there were no domestic/international segregation at those domestic airports

it was (at least theoretically) possible for a foreigner to enter Malaysia at KUL without immigration clearance

All academic nowadays I suppose, because

1) no such thing exist anymore, as of now anyway

2) spanking new airport terminals in place

If human pax were allowed such lax scrutiny back then, imagine what accompanying baggage were accorded :D

So I guess...it depends on the last port of call...if it has custom and immigration clearance...

Also due to safety...Japan could be like US...you need to retrieve then recheck in...in order to connect to a domestic sector...

Went to lhasa back in 2010 on air china. Flew from kul to Pek transitting to lhasa. But we need to get our luggage... and the re checkin at the counter... there are 30 of us..with only 2 transit time...by the time we checked in lwft us with 45mins to board. Arrive at security chk... that was the strictest security i have ever encounter. Pass thru the security check left 20 mins to departure. Reached the plane and boarding completed. Waited for 30mins for the remaining joining pax...

Some countries require you to collect checked luggage at first port of entry (China, US) before connecting domestically.

Others, like M'sia, the UK, only requires immigration clearance at first entry port.

Edited by Mushrif A

If the end destination is an international airport,then one might clear immigration at the main airport but collect luggage at the end destination which is equipped with customs dept.

If the end destination is not an international airport,then one must clear both immigration & customs at the main airport.

Does anyone here used to have international transit with Saudia? What does it like? Find a deal less than RM2.5k to JFK and that's tempting though 8 hrs and more transit via RUH or JED can be ultimately "deserted"....

RUH terminal is better than JED South terminal for transit, although that doesnt mean the experience will be like transiting through Changi. Far from it. In recent years, the RUH terminal has been improved but you will run out of things to do after an hour. So pack some books or load up the ipads with stuff to keep you occupied.

Hello,

I will be flying from KUL-IST-OSL with TK this weekend. Has anybody had experience transiting at Istanbul Ataturk? I heard that it's quite a horrendous experience.

Depends on the time of the day you re there. Of you ve a boardingpass already, go to the transfer line and not immigration to speed things up. It Can be busy at times. Great airport for spotting though.

Hello,

I will be flying from KUL-IST-OSL with TK this weekend. Has anybody had experience transiting at Istanbul Ataturk? I heard that it's quite a horrendous experience.

Nope

Istanbul is a nice airport. Define horrendous please....

Depends on the time of the day you re there. Of you ve a boardingpass already, go to the transfer line and not immigration to speed things up. It Can be busy at times. Great airport for spotting though.

Thanks for the tip. I will be checking my bags straight to OSL, and I will be arriving at IST at 5.00am local time. So hopefully I am able to skip the rush hour madness.

Nope

Istanbul is a nice airport. Define horrendous please....

Just by reading these skytrax reviews, they are really worrying me

http://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/istanbul-ataturk-airport/

Sign in to follow this