MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
aril119

airline pilot at the age of 30?

dear members and friends, my name is aril and i'm now 30 years old. i always looking for an opportunity to become an airline pilot but due to financial problem and other factors i embark myself as a practising lawyer. well i love very my profession but deep inside me i always have passion to become an airline pilot. i'll be getting some money soon not much but enough for me to startup a CPL course at any flying school in Malaysia, but i need some advise from you guys before i start my course. i'm looking forward to work with airasia, is it possible for me if i manage to obtain my frozen ATPL and work for airasia? or is there any other airline that possibly will hire me with my frozen ATPL at the age of 30-32?

second question, can i finish my ATPL by way of partime basis, let say i did my PPL at any flying club in KL and pursue my CPL by way of acquiring flying hours from the any flying club for single and twin engine and sat for ATPL exam?

thank you very much, to any pilots or anyone who can assist me on this. i also glad if i can know few practising pilot to chat with.

regards,

aril.

If there's a chance, do count me too....and Im 31 this year....flying is my dream that has yet to comes true.... :and i hate working in a bank now...no satisfaction at all rolleyes:

Going through flying club, and collecting flying hours will consume more time and it might go beyond your control. You might want to go to flying school straight if you want to achieve your target faster but then again, getting a job depends a lot on current demand. Good Luck!

I think the age limit for MAS pilot intake is 26 years old.

I remembered the limit coz im 27 this year and i know i've just missed out. ahaha :pardon:

oh well... i wont trust myself handling a 737 anyway.

I think the age limit for MAS pilot intake is 26 years old.

I remembered the limit coz im 27 this year and i know i've just missed out. ahaha :pardon:

oh well... i wont trust myself handling a 737 anyway.

26 for cadet intake.

My friend joined MAS close to 40yrs old. with flying license of course.

With the retirement age of pilots increasing to 65, you'll still have another 30 odd years of service you can offer the airlines once you qualify. I know a pilot in Oz who got his CPL/IR at 30, flew charters for 12 years and joined Virgin Blue at 42. He became a 737 captain at 45. If you've got the passion for flying, there's nothing stopping you. I say go for it! :)

Edited by mingalababya

Dear Aril,

I am currently working with an airline and I was in the recruiting committee, I have interview and accepted pilots 30 years and above with 220 hrs total time, the most important thing at that time were attitude and aptitude to adapt into the airline world, i have to admit that age were one of the down factors but against 30 pilots that were below 25 years of age the committee still took these mature pilots and currently are doing quiet well and some better than their younger batch.

I personally have taught 5 pilots locally over the age of 30 who end up in the airlines from MAS, Air Asia, Transmile and Berjaya Air. Last person i knew was Allan from RSFC who started in AirAsia recently, he is 40 something years old and logged few hundred hours in flying club locally.He started flying at the age of 40.

I guess what I am saying is that its all depend on you and your family, I noticed that family or moral support is the most important thing money cannot buy for you to succed.

Best of Luck

Cheers

S.I

With the quick and vast expansion of the airlines in Malaysia,all you need now would be get yourself enrolled into a flying school and get your own CPL/IR with fATPL..i dont believe age is that much of a factor with so many planes coming in...

I'm also a practicing lawyer and aged 34. Becoming an airline pilot was my first ambition during schooldays, but after SPM, I didn't even have the courage to submit application for MH or SQ cadet pilot program. I still don't have the courage even though I'm now financially capable of attending flight school.

In life, there are many points where you have to make choices and take that path.

If circumstances permit (health/medical fitness, financial, family and other factors) permit, you should go for it because you never know until you try. Ultimately, you still have your old profession to go back to if things do not turn out well.

Last person i knew was Allan from RSFC who started in AirAsia recently, he is 40 something years old and logged few hundred hours in flying club locally.He started flying at the age of 40.

S.I

Allan? I was doing my Full PPL conversion in RSFC back then and he still a student that time. He did some instructing in RSFC right?

Allan already have family and a good career when he started flying.

Another amazing example!

Edited by Khaled

Hello.

I suggest go straight into school and finish CPL ASAP, as you won't know how long this market will last. DOing it part time, you may lose focus.

As with age, I'm 27 but very lucky to make the 26 yr old age limit for MAS.

I'm not sure but if AirAsia is still recruiting cadets, I'm sure they will consider candidates above 30. I have a friend who graduated from HMA at the age of 33 and is now doing line training in AK. IN addition there is another private student in HMA who is 40, and prob will seek employment with AK. Very risky at that age, but you only live once.

I noticed that family or moral support is the most important thing money cannot buy for you to succed.

Thats why I "close my eyes and close my heart" to be a pilot...but flying is always my dream...

At your age, the best hope to fly big jet is via cadet program. I'm very sure MAS age limit is 26 for cadet but for SIA age limit is 32 (just a guideline since they still hire older cadet if he meet the criteria)

I was 29 when I joined SIA cadet program & checkout as FO at 31. One of my coursemate is a lawyer at 34 yrs old and another is 32 years when we joined.

So, there is still hope so long you don't just look 'inside malaysia' only. Look outside since other country is hiring malaysian as cadet pilot too. Btw, I'm malaysian if u r wondering.

SIA is short of qualified candidates that they have started to hire people from Hong Kong & India for cadet program.

good luck.

At your age, the best hope to fly big jet is via cadet program. I'm very sure MAS age limit is 26 for cadet but for SIA age limit is 32 (just a guideline since they still hire older cadet if he meet the criteria)

I was 29 when I joined SIA cadet program & checkout as FO at 31. One of my coursemate is a lawyer at 34 yrs old and another is 32 years when we joined.

So, there is still hope so long you don't just look 'inside malaysia' only. Look outside since other country is hiring malaysian as cadet pilot too. Btw, I'm malaysian if u r wondering.

SIA is short of qualified candidates that they have started to hire people from Hong Kong & India for cadet program.

good luck.

hi Rudy,

Thanks for the info man..at least i have a clear view bout the age requirement for SQ cadet programme.

Rudy, i'd like to ask this quest since you are an SQ pilot. DO they accept candidates that are married even though they are qualified enough?

Thanks in advance Rudy.

hi Rudy,

Thanks for the info man..at least i have a clear view bout the age requirement for SQ cadet programme.

Rudy, i'd like to ask this quest since you are an SQ pilot. DO they accept candidates that are married even though they are qualified enough?

Thanks in advance Rudy.

Nahar,

What make u thing being married is a 'disadvantage' for selection?

But, to be fair, 'financially' u got to have plan to survive during training & they will ask u about that during interview since cadet only receive S$1200/mth (for degree holder) till you got your CPL/IR.

FYI, I have 3 kids when I first joined as a cadet :rolleyes:

Hello.

I suggest go straight into school and finish CPL ASAP, as you won't know how long this market will last. DOing it part time, you may lose focus.

As with age, I'm 27 but very lucky to make the 26 yr old age limit for MAS.

I'm not sure but if AirAsia is still recruiting cadets, I'm sure they will consider candidates above 30. I have a friend who graduated from HMA at the age of 33 and is now doing line training in AK. IN addition there is another private student in HMA who is 40, and prob will seek employment with AK. Very risky at that age, but you only live once.

good luck.

I'm also a practicing lawyer and aged 34. Becoming an airline pilot was my first ambition during schooldays, but after SPM, I didn't even have the courage to submit application for MH or SQ cadet pilot program. I still don't have the courage even though I'm now financially capable of attending flight school.

In life, there are many points where you have to make choices and take that path.

If circumstances permit (health/medical fitness, financial, family and other factors) permit, you should go for it because you never know until you try. Ultimately, you still have your old profession to go back to if things do not turn out well.

Dear Aril,

I am currently working with an airline and I was in the recruiting committee, I have interview and accepted pilots 30 years and above with 220 hrs total time, the most important thing at that time were attitude and aptitude to adapt into the airline world, i have to admit that age were one of the down factors but against 30 pilots that were below 25 years of age the committee still took these mature pilots and currently are doing quiet well and some better than their younger batch.

I personally have taught 5 pilots locally over the age of 30 who end up in the airlines from MAS, Air Asia, Transmile and Berjaya Air. Last person i knew was Allan from RSFC who started in AirAsia recently, he is 40 something years old and logged few hundred hours in flying club locally.He started flying at the age of 40.

I guess what I am saying is that its all depend on you and your family, I noticed that family or moral support is the most important thing money cannot buy for you to succed.

Best of Luck

Cheers

S.I

thank you very much dear friends and members for all the advise. i think i have made up my mind to take up full ATPL course soon whenever my financial permits so. i think i'm gonna make it to fly 737 or A320 one day. hope we can keep intouch more often do write to me thank you.

Nahar,

What make u thing being married is a 'disadvantage' for selection?

But, to be fair, 'financially' u got to have plan to survive during training & they will ask u about that during interview since cadet only receive S$1200/mth (for degree holder) till you got your CPL/IR.

FYI, I have 3 kids when I first joined as a cadet :rolleyes:

Hey Rudy,

Thanks for shedding some lights for my doubt.

I thought that if I am married, my chance would be slimmer or I wouldn't stand a chance at all to be selected as they need full commitment from their cadets so long to complete their training. Now that I knew I still have a chance to be selected.

Now I'm wondering for MAS and AirAsia whether their policy is as same as SQ.

Thanks a bunch Rudy.

Happy Flying!

If there's a chance, do count me too....and Im 31 this year....flying is my dream that has yet to comes true.... :and i hate working in a bank now...no satisfaction at all rolleyes:

i agree with you friend, working behind desk is no fun compared to flying an aircraft as a pilot. my advise do whatever you like most, i'm moving towards that soon. hope to see u too. thanks for the reply.

Going through flying club, and collecting flying hours will consume more time and it might go beyond your control. You might want to go to flying school straight if you want to achieve your target faster but then again, getting a job depends a lot on current demand. Good Luck!

thank you tuan for your advise, i always hoping that i'm 10 years younger than i am now but from your reply i realised that focus is very important element in life and profession. thank you bro.

With the retirement age of pilots increasing to 65, you'll still have another 30 odd years of service you can offer the airlines once you qualify. I know a pilot in Oz who got his CPL/IR at 30, flew charters for 12 years and joined Virgin Blue at 42. He became a 737 captain at 45. If you've got the passion for flying, there's nothing stopping you. I say go for it! :)

thank you friend i appreciate your reply, i think i'm very sure now to try my level best to pursue the ATPL licence. i believed that i'm able to be a very good pilot one day, i could just fly any wide body aircraft for one year is enough for me. propeller also can so long its a passanger plane.

thank you very much dear friends and members for all the advise. i think i have made up my mind to take up full ATPL course soon whenever my financial permits so. i think i'm gonna make it to fly 737 or A320 one day. hope we can keep intouch more often do write to me thank you.

dear tuan,

my wife always remind me that being a pilot is a one step closer to the james bond way of life, serrounding with stewardeses and travelling a lot. well i always keep telling her that i wanted so much to be a pilot because my love and passion towards flying since i was a child. flying a wide body aircraft is my dream. i said to my wife if i can wear those metal "cawat" i would do so, so long i can fulfill my dream. i read a lot of books and magazines on aircraft, aeroplane, airline etc. i do watch over and over and over the aircrash investigation episods in channel 50, 52. till the age of 30 i still do some of silly things like counting number of airplanes accross the airspace in subang with my son from the balcony of my house. i live in subang so many airplane using the route near my house, AK, MH, Berjaya Air, Transmile etc. so dont you think i'm passionate enough for aviation? i think i should go for it what u say? i wonder what is the salary like for first officer or co pilot in AK or MH can u assist me...thank you in advance.

regards,

Aril.

good luck.

dear tuan,

thanks for your reply, its awesome, i just wanted to share story with you if you dont mind. my wife always remind me that being a pilot is a one step closer to the james bond way of life, serrounding with stewardeses and travelling a lot. well i always keep telling her that i wanted so much to be a pilot because my love and passion towards flying since i was a child. flying a wide body aircraft is my dream. i said to my wife if i can wear those metal "cawat" i would do so, so long i can fulfill my dream. i read a lot of books and magazines on aircraft, aeroplane, airline etc. i do watch over and over and over the aircrash investigation episods in channel 50, 52. till the age of 30 i still do some of silly things like counting number of airplanes accross the airspace in subang with my son from the balcony of my house. i live in subang so many airplane using the route near my house, AK, MH, Berjaya Air, Transmile etc. so dont you think i'm passionate enough for aviation? i think i should go for it what u say? i wonder what is the salary like for first officer or co pilot in AK or MH or SQ can u assist me...thank you in advance.

regards,

Aril.

dear tuan,

my wife always remind me that being a pilot is a one step closer to the james bond way of life, serrounding with stewardeses and travelling a lot. well i always keep telling her that i wanted so much to be a pilot because my love and passion towards flying since i was a child. flying a wide body aircraft is my dream. i said to my wife if i can wear those metal "cawat" i would do so, so long i can fulfill my dream. i read a lot of books and magazines on aircraft, aeroplane, airline etc. i do watch over and over and over the aircrash investigation episods in channel 50, 52. till the age of 30 i still do some of silly things like counting number of airplanes accross the airspace in subang with my son from the balcony of my house. i live in subang so many airplane using the route near my house, AK, MH, Berjaya Air, Transmile etc. so dont you think i'm passionate enough for aviation? i think i should go for it what u say? i wonder what is the salary like for first officer or co pilot in AK or MH can u assist me...thank you in advance.

regards,

Aril.

dear tuan,

thanks for your reply, its awesome, i just wanted to share story with you if you dont mind. my wife always remind me that being a pilot is a one step closer to the james bond way of life, serrounding with stewardeses and travelling a lot. well i always keep telling her that i wanted so much to be a pilot because my love and passion towards flying since i was a child. flying a wide body aircraft is my dream. i said to my wife if i can wear those metal "cawat" i would do so, so long i can fulfill my dream. i read a lot of books and magazines on aircraft, aeroplane, airline etc. i do watch over and over and over the aircrash investigation episods in channel 50, 52. till the age of 30 i still do some of silly things like counting number of airplanes accross the airspace in subang with my son from the balcony of my house. i live in subang so many airplane using the route near my house, AK, MH, Berjaya Air, Transmile etc. so dont you think i'm passionate enough for aviation? i think i should go for it what u say? i wonder what is the salary like for first officer or co pilot in AK or MH or SQ can u assist me...thank you in advance.

regards,

Aril.

I think you are. You even live in Subang. :clapping:

Hey Aril! Glad to see another seangkatan old folks trying to chase the dream to become a pilot. I'm 33 this year and still going strong to make my childhood dream come true. Spent gazzillions of dollars on books, some models, and whatever aviation related stuff...haha ...