MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Vivek

MH 772 loses engine parts while taking off from ARN

An MH 777-200 apparently lost engine parts while taking off from Stockholm, Sweden. The plane was dumping fuel over the Baltic sea and was to return to the airport.

The ATC informed the pilots that ground crew sighted several parts falling on the runway.

More details are awaited. Here is a link in Swedish relating to the incident.

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/inrikes/did_13993236.asp

- Vivek

P.S. Can anyone find out the registration of the aircraft in question? Thanks

Edited by Vivek

I think the cause is poor maintenance :o

Don't conclude before details are known :angry: :angry:

Hi Andrew,

How bad really is MH's maintenance? Its kinda hard to imagine that an airline like MH should have poor maintenance! :o

I think the cause is poor maintenance :o

I recall a neighbouring airline's B777 engine parts fell off some years ago. I believe it hit a car, but no injuries to people.

How bad really is MH's maintenance? Its kinda hard to imagine that an airline like MH should have poor maintenance! :o

Hi Vivek,

Well, its not MH's fault because maybe the people that are checking the engines forgot to test it for any errors :mellow: .

Edited by Andrew Ong

one engine part drop off after having this plane since 1997.......

MH 777 is in GOOD condition.

I flew it, tested it, trash it, toss it and landed it safely.

nothing drop off :D

I concur.

Just recently one of EK's A330-200's was declared grounded by the local DCA after the exhaust gases of one of the engines burnt a hole right through the cowling...

Is EK's maintenance that "crappy" and "bad" ?...

Im guessing...NO.

Ditto.

A bolt fell off an SQ 744 recently whilst the flight was on its way back to Singapore from Sydney.

Who would say SQ has poor maintenance?

Let's wait for the official incident report. ;)

the people that are checking the engines forgot to test it for any errors :mellow: .

Another conclusion: please STOP :angry: :angry:

be relax guys, I'm sure there is an explain about that incident. we must wait an official report from airport authority or responsible line maintenance operator in that airport.

I didn't hear any rumours about MH maintenance but incident has been in a foreign country. I don't know which compaines or airline's techic giving service. probably should be SAS technic.

actually,engine part looses during takeoff is very dangerous. Thanks god, there was no seriously accident.

At last, an AP story.

Malaysia Airlines plane loses engine parts in takeoff

Posted 11/3/2006 10:59 AM ET

STOCKHOLM (AP) — A Malaysia Airlines jet with 300 people on board lost several engine parts during takeoff Friday, forcing it to return to a Swedish airport, officials said.

The Boeing 777, which was headed to Kuala Lumpur, turned around after dumping fuel and landed safely at Stockholm's Arlanda airport, spokesman Niclas Harenstam said. No one was injured.

Harenstam said several engine parts from the plane fell off during takeoff and ended up in the grass next to the runway. The pilot headed out over the Baltic Sea to dump fuel — a standard safety precaution — before returning to Arlanda at about 2:45 p.m. (13:45 GMT), Harenstam said.

"Losing parts of the engine is highly unusual, I've never seen that before," Harenstam said. "A plane can actually fly as well on one engine as with two, but you don't really want to fly to Kuala Lumpur on one engine."

The passengers would be rebooked on other flights, he said.

And from Swedish press.

Plane turns back after 'dropping parts'

Published: 3rd November 2006 15:28 CET

Online: http://www.thelocal.se/5399/

A plane carrying 300 people that had just taken off from Stockholm's Arlanda Airport was forced to turn back on Friday afternoon after it starting dropping bits of metal.

The Malaysia Airlines plane, which was on its way to Kuala Lumpur, was reported just before 2pm to be losing metal pieces, the Swedish Search and Rescue Service said.

The pilot dumped fuel over the Baltic Sea before turning back to Arlanda. The plane had taken off in a southerly direction a few minutes earlier. The runway from which it took off was later closed by airport authorities, who were checking to see if there was any debris on it.

"This is not affecting other flight traffic at the moment," said the Niklas Härenstam, spokesman for airport operator LFV.

The plane landed without incident at Arlanda.

Traffic controllers at Arlanda were informed by people on the ground that the plane had lost parts as it was taking off. They then contacted the pilot, who said that he had not noticed any faults, but said that something could have gone wrong with one of the plane's engines.

TT/The Local

Edited by Naim

When things like this happen, the favourite line by everybody who so suddenly appear to have an opinion on how an airline should be run is 'poor maintenance'. Sigh. Same case with the LRT. One train hit the buffers and every Tom, Dick and Harry concludes it's poor maintenance, never mind they haven't the slightest idea what maintenance is.

When things like this happen, the favourite line by everybody who so suddenly appear to have an opinion on how an airline should be run is 'poor maintenance'. Sigh. Same case with the LRT. One train hit the buffers and every Tom, Dick and Harry concludes it's poor maintenance, never mind they haven't the slightest idea what maintenance is.

There is a air worthiness compliance for airline but not for local LRT or KTM. Hence, local LRT or KTM maintenance record or train driver training can be doubtful.

The Star LRT didn’t just hit the buffer but was overhang in the air, so it could be a very serious accident.

Don't conclude before details are known

Ditto

Andrew Ong, some bold groundless statements you have here. Do us a favour, stop speculating especially when you know jack all about it.

There is a air worthiness compliance for airline but not for local LRT or KTM. Hence, local LRT or KTM maintenance record or train driver training can be doubtful.

The Star LRT didn’t just hit the buffer but was overhang in the air, so it could be a very serious accident.

There is a certain standard of maintenance that has to be met before trains are allowed to leave the depot. Just like the airlines even trains have structured scheduled maintenance exams.

I've seen people cite 'lack of maintenance' when the event incident report of that has not been out yet (in the case of the STAR LRT, it has not but already tons of letters essentially accusing staff of goyang kaki pours into letters to the editor section).

I've been with railway maintenance before, and to hear people say 'lack of maintenance' when they don't know squat about the running of railways to me is a grave accusation. Similarly, for aircraft engineering, I'm sure for the maintenance crew to hear such accusation is close to accusing them of receiving 'blind salary'.

Anyway, my point is that so many people love to open their mouths talking about stuff they barely know about. Aircraft engineering/maintenance, and for railways for that matter, do not run the way most of us think. Best to leave it to the experts, at least until the official report comes out. There is this thing called human error, after all.

Edited by H Azmal

Malaysia Airlines plane loses engine parts in takeoff

Posted 11/3/2006 10:59 AM ET

STOCKHOLM (AP) — A Malaysia Airlines jet with 300 people on board lost several engine parts during takeoff Friday, forcing it to return to a Swedish airport, officials said.

300 people onboard. Quite a good load. :good:

Anything can happen in aviation...miracle and mystery is everywhere sorrounding aviation world..

Trust me... :)

Andrew Ong, some bold groundless statements you have here. Do us a favour, stop speculating especially when you know jack all about it.

Sorry guys :sorry: ; I sort of overreacted because I can't believe that one of MH's planes has that problem: parts falling off engines :mellow: :) .

Edited by Andrew Ong

Sign in to follow this