MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Turkey to build world’s busiest airport despite controversy

Fantastic, Turkey, a returning world power. :)

===

Turkey unveils plan for world's biggest airport

4481372-3x2-340x227.jpg
PHOTO: A Turkish Airlines plane prepares to take off from Ataturk International, which is currently the country's largest airport. (Reuters: Osman Orsal, file image)

Turkey plans to build what it says will be the largest airport in the world, eventually able to handle 150 million passengers per year, in a project predicted to cost more than 7 billion euros ($8.84 billion).

Transport minister Binali Yildirim said the deadline for bids to build the airport, which will be Istanbul's third and have a total of six runways, would be May 3.

The airport will add vital capacity in the region and enhance the role of Istanbul, the hub for flag carrier Turkish Airlines.

"At full capacity the new airport will be the largest in the world in terms of passengers," Mr Yildirim told a news conference in Ankara.

Turkey's economy, the fastest-growing in Europe, has advanced rapidly over the past decade under the leadership of prime minister Tayyip Erdogan and become a major trading partner with Europe and the Middle East.

The tender will be for a 25-year lease in a four-stage project, with annual capacity of 90 million passengers planned for the first stage, Mr Yildirim added.

"The final annual capacity of the airport will be 150 million. The first stage will be operational in 2017," he said.

In comparison, London's Heathrow airport, which has two runways, handled 69.4 million passengers in 2011.

Mr Erdogan said the tender would be launched this week, with the first stage of construction to be completed in three to four years.

Turkish airport operator and builder TAV and construction company Limak are among the companies that have expressed interest in bidding for the contract.

TAV also has the operating rights for Istanbul's Ataturk airport, the country's largest, until 2021.

It said the Turkish airports authority would compensate it for any losses if the third airport opened while it was still running Ataturk.

Reuters

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-24/turkey-unveils-plan-for-world27s-biggest-airport/4481374

Turkey to build world’s busiest airport despite controversy
  • 6 HOURS AGO FEBRUARY 12, 2014 8:41AM
358689-2399b5a4-9366-11e3-8d43-e004d36a6

The design of the new airport. Source: Supplied

TURKEY has vowed to press ahead with building what could become one of the world's busiest airports in defiance of a court order halting the project over environmental concerns.

A court last month suspended work on Istanbul's third airport after local residents and environmental groups filed a lawsuit arguing that the project would cause serious damage to the environment, the Hurriyet newspaper reported.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/turkey-to-build-worlds-busiest-airport-despite-controversy/story-e6frfq80-1226824356286

Wow that's a lot of protest for an environmental reason, wonder what Malaysians would have done if they knew the impact of building the KLIA2 on a swampy land :acute:

Apparently the current Turkey government led by Erdogan likes to bulldoze their way through getting things done without much consultation with the public. Same situation happened to the Europe-Asia underground metro system.

unfortunatelly it is totally political "insist" by our PM. Istanbul is one of the most crowded cities in the world and as we Istanbul residentals hate to pumping Istanbul with new "crazy" projects. 3rd airport is not only an airport project. It comes with several residendat projects such as "new Istanbul" residental area near the airport. Sounds like good " it would be busiest airport, would be biggest one which is competition with new Dubai's Al Makhtum world airport etc...".

In fact; airport construction area and residental areas will be destroy all Istanbul's fresh breath north forest!. There is another project, 3rd bridge north of bosphorus which is connected with airport projects. So there is really serious problem about civilization in north of Istanbul. It brings approx 2 million people addition to Istanbul

Thatswhy we don't like much. On the other hand, airport construction is rise the land properties worth. At the beginnings, local villages residentals were happy about the prices rise but then they forced to move from lands! Also opposite parties and some of greens (I don't remember how can I say) doesn't like government investment like thats ( me either also, you don't know Istanbul channel projects!)

Thanks, Hakan. Interesting perspective from a person on the ground. Have you read the long Erdogan story above?

Hello Naim, I particulary read the article, it is really long :) But as far as I understand, the most of subject analized correct. I don't expect to be honest or subjective comments from a foreigner who lives in Istanbul but it seems like neutral point of views. (Becouse of I believe, the person must have roots in here for getting understand somethings. Like as I never have any opinion about Malaysia social and political situation since past until today).

But it is talking about correct points about the problems source and beyond. We really bored about unnecessary civilizations, shopping malls, residences etc.

Istanbul New Airport official video;

Runway lights on first time;

Construction phase;

First landing by President Erdogan (he was on the cockpit and after landed speeches to officers on common frequency)

Latest contidions of the airport at August;

Sign in to follow this