MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Emirates Flight EK521 TRV-DXB 777-300 A6-EMW Crash-Lands at Dubai Airport

Emirates can confirm that today, 3rd August 2016, flight EK521 travelling from Trivandrum International Airport in Thiruvananthapuram, India to Dubai has been involved in an accident at Dubai International Airport. There were 275 passengers and crew on board. All managed to evacuated safely.

The Boeing 777 aircraft, departed at 10.19am from Trivandrum International Airport and was scheduled to land at 12.50pm at Dubai International Airport.

Aircraft involved is A6-EMW, one of the 12 B777-300 EK operates. The aircraft is 13.4 years old. EK this year is scheduled to retire two B777-300, and one B777-300ER.

1c79c71326.jpg

1c7b011c05.jpeg

1c7c69cac3.jpeg

Source: Emirates.com, Airliners.net

Edited by JuliusWong

This is Emirates first major incident since inception, isn't it?

EK's FB is fast. Already in grey logo.

Per my EK spies:

Crew hebat dapat selamatkan semua considering this flight is a 2 class B77W long night-turnaround Indian flight.

Per my EK spies:

F12C42Y310= 364 max pax capacity. 275 passengers and crew evacuated in split seconds. Kudos to the team!!

Edited by JuliusWong

Per my EK spies:

They have a very well oiled machine and contingency plans in place. I actually noticed the change of FB logo first. Even the people commenting on their page were clueless about that. Only a short while after that did the news came flooding in. Just a few minutes ago the man himself, His Highness Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum posted a video statement through the Emirates FB page. And this is the latest media statement from them

Emirates Media Statement 5:

Emirates can confirm that today, 3rd August 2016, flight EK521 travelling from Trivandrum International Airport in Thiruvananthapuram, India to Dubai has been involved in an operational incident upon landing at Dubai International Airport. There were 282 passengers and 18 crew on board.

The nationalities of passengers and crew on board are:

226 - India

24 - UK

11 - UAE

6 - US

6 - Saudi Arabia

5 - Turkey

4 - Ireland

2 - Australia

2 - Brazil

2 - Germany

2 - Malaysia

2 - Thailand

1 - Croatia

1 - Egypt

1 - Bosnia & Herzegovina

1 - Lebanon

1 - Philippines

1 - South Africa

1 - Switzerland

1 - Tunisia

The Boeing 777 aircraft, departed at 10.19am from Trivandrum International Airport and was scheduled to land at 12.50pm at Dubai International Airport.

We can confirm that there are no fatalities among our passengers and crew. All passengers and crew are accounted for and safe.

We are expecting a 8-hour network wide delay, more information will be available on the Emirates website and social media channels.

The main priority remains with those involved and offering support to concerned family and friends. Dedicated telephone lines are now active for family members:

UAE - 8002111

UK - 00442034508853

US - 0018113502081

For members of the media, the Emirates’ Press Office in Dubai is now activated:

• 00971 4 708 37 13

Or email: PR@emirates.com.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Two days after EK521, details remain sketchy what actually happened. Both blackboxes have been discovered.

Meanwhile. EK took delivery of two brand new B77W A6-EPO and A6-EPO on 28th and 29th July 2016 respectively. With one aircraft down, shouldn't be a big issue for EK.

I think Julius meant it to be:

A6-EPO Boeing 777-31H(ER) MSN 42334 LN 1415

A6-EPP Boeing 777-31H(ER) MSN 42335 LN 1418

A6-EPO and A6-EPO??

I think Julius meant it to be:

A6-EPO Boeing 777-31H(ER) MSN 42334 LN 1415

A6-EPP Boeing 777-31H(ER) MSN 42335 LN 1418

Thank you flee for the correction. Sorry Albert for the typo.

DXB is back to normal operation with dual runway in use.

Is there any reason/clue of this accident? even there is no information on Avherald.

Is there any reason/clue of this accident? even there is no information on Avherald.

Possibly a failed go-around, due to windshear.

The images are somewhat an eerie reminder of the ill fated SQ6 that crashed in TPE

Omg, I thought the same thing. Especially the night shots. :(

With the windshear, a heavy aircraft with 49C temperature surely didn't help.

With the windshear, a heavy aircraft with 49C temperature surely didn't help.

oopps....I missed of wxreport on avherald, now it took my attention after windshear info.

Metars:

OMDB 030900Z 11021KT 3000 BLDU NSC 49/07 Q0993 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 1500

OMDB 030800Z 14012KT 100V180 6000 NSC 48/09 Q0994 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 4000 DU

Off topic: What will happen to luggage & belongings under the belly? Are they covered by insurance?

Yes, I think Geneva Convention or some convention rules (I forgot about it) the airline insurance will pay for it up to certain amount. I think the whole fuselage was toasted, burn all the way down but didn't "burn out to surface". Only items that were recoverable maybe the tail fin, rudder and left wing. The left engines might have suffered impact though.

Just realized, all current B777 major incidents involves fire: BA38, BA2276, MS667, OZ7742, MH17, KE2708, SQ368. MH370 is open for debate.

Sign in to follow this