Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.

Photo

AirAsia considers buying Mitsubishi's delay-plagued jet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,076 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:14 PM

TOKYO -- AirAsia is thinking about purchasing jets from the struggling aircraft business of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, chief executive Tony Fernandes told the Nikkei Asian Review on Tuesday.

The Malaysia-based budget carrier looks ready to throw its support behind the Mitsubishi Regional Jet, Japan's first passenger plane project since the 1960s, which faces financial strain after repeated delays. At the same time, AirAsia is seeking support from Japanese regulators to obtain more slots at Japanese airports.

More:

#2 Kenny Sing

Kenny Sing
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:31 PM

"AirAsia is seeking support from Japanese regulators to obtain more slots at Japanese airports."

the intention is pretty clear.

#3 Adrian M

Adrian M

Turboprop Freak

• Platinum Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

"AirAsia is seeking support from Japanese regulators to obtain more slots at Japanese airports."

the intention is pretty clear.

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Mitsubishi get orders and AirAsia get slots. Win-win for both. It's just business.

#4 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,076 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

Those MRJs would be quite useful for Indonesia Airasia and Philippines Airasia.

If Japan does not want to play, and if Airasia really needs RJs, then the A220 will be the front runner....

#5 JuliusWong

JuliusWong
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:38 PM

This is if Mitsubishi survives latest corporate restructuring....

#6 jani

jani
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:43 AM

At the same time he is piggy-backing the Government's current close relationship with Japan

#7 Craig

Craig
  • Silver Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:34 PM

At the same time, AirAsia is seeking support from Japanese regulators to obtain more slots at Japanese airports.

More:

I thought Malaysia already enjoys unlimited landing rights into Japan other than Tokyo-Haneda (with 7 nighttime slots). Sounds like D7 wants to get first dip on the daytime slots should it become available to Malaysia in 2020 (which I think Malaysia will, at least 1 daily daytime slot, but it's up to Mavcom to decide which airline to award the daytime slot to).

I don't believe other airports are slot restricted (besides NRT/HND)

Edited by Craig, 09 November 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#8 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,076 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:05 PM

This is more about Airasia Japan - they are having difficulty getting approvals for their new routes. They currently only fly one route - NGO to CTS.

#9 Craig

Craig
  • Silver Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:27 PM

This is more about Airasia Japan - they are having difficulty getting approvals for their new routes. They currently only fly one route - NGO to CTS.

Thank you! That makes more sense!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users