MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
JuliusWong

Malaysia Airlines B737-8H6 9M-MXX skidded off runway at SBW

Initial Report Aircraft Skidded on The Runway.

Date : 8/4/2017

Airport : Sibu

Time of report : 2245hrs

Incident : Flight MH2718 KUL/SBW has skidded at Runway 13 at time 2217hrs.

Cause : Heavy Rain

Aircraft Type : B738

Impact :

Runway Close. Nil incoming aircraft

POB : 69

Casualty : TBA

Aircraft suffered total landing gear collapsed. All evacuated safely.

Let the MH bashing begin.

"Third MAS plane crash since 2014"

"Terrified passengers describe their dramatic escape from MH aircraft"

And of course, we'll be hearing from the experts on social media:

"It's obvious MH decided to save on fuel and sacrifice safety!"

"I'm never flying this lousy unsafe airline ever again!"

Ahh the classics. Wonder if we'll see anything new this time. I'm sure people are more creative nowadays.

Definitely weather playing a role. Been Raining very heavily in bki like buckets of thick water thrown into the car screen these past few days and other parts of sarawak and sarawak when it should be dry season(climate change?).

I just grabbed my popcorn and found a nice seat to watch this explode.

My question is: Why didn't MH change the weather to land in the dry? These cost cutting measures HAVE TO STOP!

Annoyingly/sadly there isn't an ADS-B receiver (FR24 etc) showing ground traffic for Sibu, so the only data available is the descend until 6500ft at FR24.

Glad no casualties. MXX is only 2 years young. Hope they will get her back to air soon.

I just grabbed my popcorn and found a nice seat to watch this explode.

My question is: Why didn't MH change the weather to land in the dry? These cost cutting measures HAVE TO STOP!

I think MH is taking cost cutting to unacceptable levels. They were only willing to deploy 2 slides for the evacuation! What kind of airline is this?

I think MH is taking cost cutting to unacceptable levels. They were only willing to deploy 2 slides for the evacuation! What kind of airline is this?

Just overall poor judgement and penny pinching. What were they thinking of, landing at 2245pm? Why didn't they just circle until dawn at about 7am and landed then?

My question is: Why didn't MH change the weather to land in the dry?

Perhaps the Raja Bomoh Sedunia chap failed to pick up their call in time before fuel ran low in the wings ? :)

Or that he had other assignments to attend to ? Maybe overhauling Syrian air defense, where the Russian systems have evidently not lived up to expectation :)

Perhaps the Raja Bomoh Sedunia chap failed to pick up their call in time before fuel ran low in the wings ? :)

Or that he had other assignments to attend to ? Maybe overhauling Syrian air defense, where the Russian systems have evidently not lived up to expectation :)

Leave that guy alone! He's diverting all North Korean missiles now!

anything wrong with stating the facts? hope we are not going to be complacent on safety issues. regardless glad that all onboard are safe. this incident reminds me of the one back in JHB in 2010 where yours truly was one of the pax and managed to capture some post incident video which you all can watch in the link below. and this incident happened during heavy rain and strong wind just right at the time the plane was few minutes to touch down, similar trait with the current one i believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9CHX5fNLho&t=21s

those in this SBW incident had it worst from the pics i could tell thus i do feel for them and understand if they go berserk on this incident, not many people had experienced true life and death situation.......

Edited by Khalil Abd Halim

anything wrong with stating the facts? hope we are not going to be complacent on safety issues.

Turn on your sarcasm radar please.

ya, and pray your next flight wont be like this

No sir, you pray while we do some fancy footwork in the cockpit. Dancing in the rain!

Glad no casualties. MXX is only 2 years young. Hope they will get her back to air soon.

Assuming that damage to the aircraft is repairable, it might take some months to get it back in the air - remember a similar incident when the AK A320 had to sit in a tent in KCH while it was repaired?

KCH_9M-AHH_20110412_720%5B2%5D.jpg

quote "Turn on your sarcasm radar please.".......

Unlike my weather and traffic radar, my sarcasm radar is never inop... hehe

About time all runways get groovy, I meant grooved.

Unlike my weather and traffic radar, my sarcasm radar is never inop... hehe

About time all runways get groovy, I meant grooved.

being sarcastic doesnt mean you have to be stupid..ok now YOU should turn on YOUR so called "sarcasm radar"...

There times those deep clouds that should be magenta in color on weather radar do not show up on radar. Sudden microburst on approach to minimums or on the runway that are unrecoverable. There are some pilots that would hold until weather dies down. Then there are some that would go n attempt a landing successfully and telling atc that landing for other flights is no issue. I believe no landing should be attempted in any circumstances even if visibility permits then again airlines would get pissed doing logistics for diversion and delays for weather avoidance. Then there's super budgeted management pilots that go nimble every cost saving measure that bores nuisance to operation. Cruise higher on such short sector cutting other slower traffic queue on approach, descending below profile to cut queue, list goes on and very common in overseas Lcc airlines it is creeping in to our local aviation.

Edited by jahur

There times those deep clouds that should be magenta in color on weather radar do not show up on radar. Sudden microburst on approach to minimums or on the runway that are unrecoverable. There are some pilots that would hold until weather dies down. Then there are some that would go n attempt a landing successfully and telling atc that landing for other flights is no issue. I believe no landing should be attempted in any circumstances then airlines would get pissed doing logistics for diversion and delays.

Those four bars (and three) are indeed very heavy responsibility. Though as humans are, everyone, and pilots too, have their own personality and style. And indeed, circumstances changes very quickly and it is very fluid weather wise. At BKI sometimes the weather clears a bit and the first plane landed but then the weather takes a turn and the next approaching aircraft have to perform abort landing and do a go around.