MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
rayner

Eurocopter Awarded Tender To Replace Nuri

Ageing Nuris to make way for Cougars

By : Marc Lourdes

KUALA LUMPUR, Fri:

From Nuri to Cougar.

The Royal Malaysian Air (RMAF) will replace its ageing fleet of Sikorsky S61-A4 Sea Kings, better known as the Nuri, with Eurocopter’s Cougar EC725.

Prime Minister and Defence Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi announced this today after a honour parade at Wisma Pertahanan at Jalan Padang Tembak.

The Eurocopter Cougar EC725 is one of four types that were shortlisted by RMAF. The other three were the Sikorsky S92, the Agusta Westland EH-101 Merlin and the Russian-made Mil Mi-17 Hip.

The manufacturers of these helicopters took part in an open international tender at the last Langkawi International Maritime and Air Show.

It has been reported that the government is allocating US$600 million (RM1.93 billion) to initially buy 12 of the new helicopters for service until 2050.

Eight units are planned for the RMAF for the Nuri replacement programme, while the remaining four would go to the army.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Fri...icle/index_html

Eurocopter Awarded Tender To Replace Nuri

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 26 (Bernama) -- The Defence Ministry has agreed to acquire new helicopters from European helicopter manufacturers, Eurocopter, to replace the Nuri, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi announced Friday.

He said the ministry was now scrutinising the clauses in the agreement before signing it officially with the company concerned.

"I have been told that the Defence Ministry has identified Eurocopter as the replacement for Nuri.

"The Defence Ministry had received many applications from international aircraft manufacturers and suppliers," Abdullah, who is also the Defence Minister, told reporters after attending a special briefing at Wisma Pertahanan, Jalan Padang Tembak, here.

On Sept 17, Abdullah handed over the post of Finance Minister to Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and took over the Defence Ministry. Abdullah had once held the Defence Minister's post from 1986 to 1987.

He said the selection of Eurocopter was based on the criteria stipulated by the Defence Ministry as well as the specifications of the helicopter.

"We go for the best. The selection was made without discrimination. The tender must be awarded properly," he said.

Abdullah said the time had come for the Nuri helicopters to be put out of commission as it had been used for a long time and had been involved in several fatal accidents.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=361571

Eurocopter EC 725 Cougar

Emm we will see more and more Eurocopter in Malaysia soon...Eurocopter brand as I can see now become popular brand of helicopter among Malaysia government/company now...

1. Malaysian Government replace Nuri with Eurocopter.

2. Hornbill Skyways replace Bel also with Eurocopter.

And maybe more Eurocopter fleet around Malaysia as company helicopter..

I was thought our government will replace the Nuris with Agusta Westland helicopter since some division of our army also navy if I dont mistaken use Agusta heli..

Maybe specification of this Eurocopter meet with Mindef creteria or maybe something ... beyond that we dont know :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I prefer the EH-101 Merlin amongst all.. Well, Eurocopter had worked hard to win the contract. They brought in the EC725 to Subang during DSA 2004 and the air force tested it. Furthermore, Eurocopter has the advantage because they have their service center in Subang. Will the VIP helicopters (Agusta AS-61N1) be replaced as well?

I thought the govt would propably favor the Russian Mi-17 V5 which is a lot more cheaper, in view of our country economic situation. The Saudi, India and Indonesia is quite happy with Mi17 which was seen all over the world operating under UN relief mission.

Well, what the heck - we have already spent so much money on Submarine from French and now the French again laughfing all the way to the bank

I am certain this decision has more to do with politics rather than either choosing the best aircraft for the job or the most cost effective.

Certainly when comparing the civil S92 and EC225 (the EC725s civil twin), the purchase and operating costs of the EC225 are substantially greater.

I wonder how the rearcrew members will enjoy operating an aircraft where you cannot even stand up in the cabin?? Sore knees anyone.. :angry:

I am certain this decision has more to do with politics rather than either choosing the best aircraft for the job or the most cost effective.

Certainly when comparing the civil S92 and EC225 (the EC725s civil twin), the purchase and operating costs of the EC225 are substantially greater.

I wonder how the rearcrew members will enjoy operating an aircraft where you cannot even stand up in the cabin?? Sore knees anyone.. :angry:

I tend to agree with you, considering the fact that the switch of portfolios came at the crucial moment. Time and time again political decision has overtaken the rational thingking, when are we going to learn...

I thought it would be the nice looking NH90 as opposed to the old-Superpuma-based EC725.

Totally agree. Wonder why the government/RMAF not even considering the NH90.

BTW, it is still confusing. what will the EC725 primary role be? The Nuri was more of a transport heli, but the EC725 is more suited for lightyer but faster and agile CSAR roles. And will the Army Aviation wing be equipped with heavier halicopter in the near future? Maybe the Agusta Westland EH101 is better suited for the Army.

EH101 most expensive package maybe due to NATO standard, 3 engine, longer durability, big cabin space, best for CSAR.

NH90, moderate cost package, 2 engine, medium range, medium, best for CSAR.

EC725 probably is cheap, 2 engine, medium range, good for CSAR, not an expert but have doubt on the reliability since the previous super puma have some incident/accident in malaysia.

In fact you guys remember the RMAF previously own, i believe two pumas, correct me if I,m wrong, so it end-up chop shop?

EC725 is cheap(er) probably because the basic design has been fully amortised over the years in the guise of the superpuma. RMAF had one, assembled in Indonesia, and it crashed some years back. If I'm not mistaken, it crashed after dropping-off Anwar, who was the DPM then.

Off-topic, (Conspiracy theorists: how many of you have also heard that Anwar was supposed to fly with Tan Sri Yahya on the latter's A109P 9M-DRB in the morning, but Yahya decided to fly, unscheduled, the previous evening to visit his ailing mother and to come back in the early morning to stick to the schedule with Anwar? Well, we know the heli didnt reach its destination that evening.)

Off-topic, (Conspiracy theorists: how many of you have also heard that Anwar was supposed to fly with Tan Sri Yahya on the latter's A109P 9M-DRB in the morning, but Yahya decided to fly, unscheduled, the previous evening to visit his ailing mother and to come back in the early morning to stick to the schedule with Anwar? Well, we know the heli didnt reach its destination that evening.)

Yup..i heard about that too.

I can only guess that this is a political decision. Some countries like the US are a bit more strict about paying out fees and commisions (it may even have to be approved by congress), and some countries do not mind mixing up the fees and commissions in the total tender... .

EC725 is cheap(er) probably because the basic design has been fully amortised over the years in the guise of the superpuma.

The EC725 is most definitely not cheaper than the S92 and almost certainly not cheaper than the Mil. I have (in commercial confidence) the purchase and operating costs for an EC225 and S92. This was NOT a financial decision :pardon:

..... This was NOT a financial decision :pardon:

No batting of eyelids, no raising of eyebrows, no gasp of disbelief .......... let's move on to the next tender item ! :pardon:

Some interesting material here regarding the selection. The question is whether you want to believe it or not.

This was NOT a financial decision :pardon:

It is most likely a financial decision. But not in the way honest people normally think about.

A380..AK..9M-NAA..A400..oh ya ATR..

Whats next(while flipping around EADS' catalogue)..

Edited by Nick R.

A380..AK..9M-NAA..A400..oh ya ATR..

Whats next(while flipping around EADS' catalogue)..

Next could be the Eurocopter Tiger, attack helicopter. It made an appearance during LIMA 05. The army air wing canceled their plan to purchase the Denel AH-2 Rooivalk from South Africa a few years ago.. they maybe aiming for the Tiger. :unknw:

The Eurocopter helicopter choice over Sikorsky could be from higher level decisions in various Malaysian Ministries over the fact that GE (General Electric) of US has been returning military aircraft engines that had been sent by Malaysia for overhaul/repair and have been returned un-touched, or as was received. This is inevitably linked to US/Malaysia tit-for-tat press headlines over Anwar and ISA related issues (Condoleeza Rice's intervention perhaps??).

Perhaps the 'RM250m sweetener' from Eurocpter clinched the deal - published in NST July 08 (RM250m copter sweetener)

If the Nuri replacement should be considered to have been linked to political wrong-doings during the tendering phase, then the recently announced intention to purchase 21 new police helicopters (IGP approves police helicopters) will also be worth watching.

As a secondary school student circa 1980 I still remember advertisements by LTV Corporation promoting their still-in-production A-7 Corsair II. And the whole class were frustrated when the used A-4 Skyhawks were selected instead.

Just hope this time it will not be something similar to that. But selecting military hardware due to to personal interest by the top people is nothing new, and not confined to this country alone.

The Eurocopter helicopter choice over Sikorsky could be from higher level decisions in various Malaysian Ministries over the fact that GE (General Electric) of US has been returning military aircraft engines that had been sent by Malaysia for overhaul/repair and have been returned un-touched, or as was received. This is inevitably linked to US/Malaysia tit-for-tat press headlines over Anwar and ISA related issues (Condoleeza Rice's intervention perhaps??).

US have downgraded Malaysia alliance status :(

:drinks:

there goes pak lahs mr clean image if those allegations turns out to be true..

a few pics i got durng LIMA..

cockpit shot

P1010759.jpg

P1010758.jpg