MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Mavcom: Malaysia’s aviation industry losing out due to single airport operator system

"Singapore, for instance, has a strong domestic demand"

?

Overall, I'm not sure how his points correlate to having a single operator as the problem?

Malaysian airports, especially our gateway hubs, do not operate 24 hours a day, which may be a reflection of the fact that airlines dont find them attractive. This, in turn, implies that competition may be an issue,

Funny. Airports like LHR and SYD have even more restrictive operating hours and airlines are still tripping over each other to get slots.

Another reason that our airports are only operating in a limited time is because we dont receive passengers from longer distances, for instance from North America. Hence, airports are underutilised

There are flights departing and arriving KUL throughout the day.

Maybe he is disappointed there are no direct TWU/KBR/AOR-LAX/SFO/NYC flights.

Should have voice this and invite international bidding before mahb was extended. At least prohibit mahb to operate duty free, food outlets, hotel, etc directly.

Should have voice this and invite international bidding before mahb was extended. At least prohibit mahb to operate duty free, food outlets, hotel, etc directly.

I am sure THIS would have enticed airlines like LH/LX/OS/UA/AA/DL/QF/NZ to start serving KUL.

Then the airport will sustain on PSC alone? haha

Senai is operated by another entity besides MAHB. How they're doing?

You'd think being so close to Singapore, it could have been like Newark is to NYC.

I fly to and from Senai every week and they're doing great. One of the best domestic airports, I should say. A lot of facilities have been upgraded, new food and shopping outlets.

Senai is operated by another entity besides MAHB. How they're doing?

You'd think being so close to Singapore, it could have been like Newark is to NYC.

Are you hoping that they don’t do well to justify the rest of the low standard airports in the country? Just saying.

Then the airport will sustain on PSC alone? haha

Mahb could collect sub-lease or rent from duty free, eatery, hotel, etc. For sure, private enterprises are more competitive and provide better service than glc.

I am sure THIS would have enticed airlines like LH/LX/OS/UA/AA/DL/QF/NZ to start serving KUL.

At least mh, ak, od, D7 growth won't be limited by mahb narrow mind set and efficiency.

Passed through KUL t2 recently, noticed a number of shops at airside before Q gates are boarded up. More outlets by mahb coming? A unintended consequences of klia gateway?

Edited by KK Lee

Mahb could collect sub-lease or rent from duty free, eatery, hotel, etc. For sure, private enterprises are more competitive and provide better service than glc.

Hmm.. I thought this was already done? At least partially? Maybe I am wrong. Should ask someone who works at MAHB

I fly to and from Senai every week and they're doing great. One of the best domestic airports, I should say. A lot of facilities have been upgraded, new food and shopping outlets.

Keyword is domestic.

Are you hoping that they dont do well to justify the rest of the low standard airports in the country? Just saying.

You assume that. And you know what they say about those who makes assumptions...

MAVCOM is a toothless tiger - it can say what it wants but the facts already state that MAHB will be the monopoly airport operator for the foreseeable future.

Johor Bahru might have a different operator but it is insignificant. However, it is a good thing to have and if Kulim Airport becomes a reality, it would be good if another operator is given the chance to manage it.

Yes, they also have advanced technology like biometric and facial recognition for pax. Lets hope it is as fast and efficient like what they have at Changi T4.

MAHB will be the monopoly airport operator for the foreseeable future.

My personal view - unlikely.

Hmm.. I thought this was already done? At least partially? Maybe I am wrong. Should ask someone who works at MAHB

I always thought MAHB is a non-profit company that solely collects revenue from PSC and it's used to provide rent free agreements to retailers so passengers would choose to KUL over the likes of SIN and BKK. *shrugs*

I always thought MAHB is a non-profit company that solely collects revenue from PSC and it's used to provide rent free agreements to retailers so passengers would choose to KUL over the likes of SIN and BKK. *shrugs*

MAHB is listed in Bursa Malaysia.

Probably going off tangent here, but would you be interested in purchase of a bridge ? :)

Me too. From the posts of some asking for frivelous things like waterfalls and USB chargers at every nook and corner, while at the same time calling for lower PSC and less retail revenue for the sake of more pleasant walks to check-in, I thought MAHB was a charitable organisation!

Sign in to follow this