MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Suhaimi Fariz

Flying Tiger Line Flight 66 Crashed in Puchong on 19 February 1989

I donno if anyone hv posted this, but does anybody know the exact location of the 1988 Flying Tiger Line 747 crash? Is it anywhere near Puchong? And is it really true that the flight crew misunderstood the tower and decended below the minimum altitude? TQ

Yes it is somewhere in Puchong; i don't know the exact location.

How does "descend 2400" sounds? Descend to four zero zero? That was what they did, erroneously of course because the actual instruction was descend two four zero zero. Nowadays it will be descend two thousand four hundred.

Yes it is somewhere in Puchong; i don't know the exact location.

How does "descend 2400" sounds? Descend to four zero zero? That was what they did, erroneously of course because the actual instruction was descend two four zero zero. Nowadays it will be descend two thousand four hundred.

I think the pilot might have misunderstood the tower, may be the accent confused most pilots.

In memory, Flying Tiger Line 19 Feb 1989 crashed near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia-Boeing 747-249F

Heard that US controllers can know what flight it is by not looking at the screen, just recognize from the accent :pardon:

googled about the crash...and here's what i found..with the exact location..

Location of crash

I googled earth it, and if im not mistaken, it is somewhere between Puchong and the Seri Kembangan ( Equine Park ) area ..if my memory serves me right, lots of construction going on there..very near to Lestari Puchong..

I donno if anyone hv posted this, but does anybody know the exact location of the 1988 Flying Tiger Line 747 crash? Is it anywhere near Puchong? And is it really true that the flight crew misunderstood the tower and decended below the minimum altitude? TQ

1988? was born in that year.. no wonder i noe nuthing about this. =/ there was such case back then? wah...

googled about the crash...and here's what i found..with the exact location..

Location of crash

I googled earth it, and if im not mistaken, it is somewhere between Puchong and the Seri Kembangan ( Equine Park ) area ..if my memory serves me right, lots of construction going on there..very near to Lestari Puchong..

Equine Park? Heck, I live there :p or close by :D but I believe the actual location more towards Puchong area. Able to see the toll (what is the name of the toll, :help: but I think Puchong Selatan toll plaza ) which is quite perpendicular to the crash site.

I think the place is somewhere around that place.

I remembered my sis-in-law (at that time studying in UPM)

drove pass nearby the area (somewhere near old Puchong Town

to the southwest of the marked area)

and saw people carrying out some boxes. Later only she knew

that they scavanged the wreckage.. :angry:

So Imran.... those folks had carried out the 'hunt' already.. :nea: :pardon:

two four zero zero. Nowadays it will be descend two thousand four hundred.

"Two Four Zero Zero" was misinterpreted as "To Four Zero Zero".....

Seems like the crash site is still an undeveloped area.

Edited by S V Choong

Hmm...who knows? Maybe we could find an engine pylon or something buried under the mud :rofl:

i want the transponder and the communication radio's...can tune to local ATC and hears what happening...kekeke.. :rofl:

Hey..I LIVE IN PUCHONG! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i want the transponder and the communication radio's...can tune to local ATC and hears what happening...kekeke.. :rofl:

Hey..I LIVE IN PUCHONG! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Abort when u hear four zero zero Brennan. :p Have you been to the crash site?

it was bukit puchong...wasn't it. it had to be elevated ground since the plane smashed into it at 400 feet.

i remember that incident so well....not long after that flying tigers were taken over by FedEx...so never got to see them on final approach to subang ...

Abort when u hear four zero zero Brennan. :p Have you been to the crash site?

Abort when u hear four zero zero :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No la...i now only realised that there was such a crash..i was born in 1988...still baby dunno what is a plane..hehe...im trying to figure out where exactly it is..then maybe ill do some operasi...

very tragic crash.

puchong is very heavily developed now, so would be suprised if there is much to scavenge..

anyway.. takut lah.. site for sure haunted!

I want the tyres... Rubber doesn't disintegrate or rust... :p

Tragic, how tragic! That is why grammar is there for... If controller had said "descend to two four zero zero" the accident would most probably have been avoided. Correct grammar pays!

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

I want the tyres... Rubber doesn't disintegrate or rust... :p

Tragic, how tragic! That is why grammar is there for... If controller had said "descend to two four zero zero" the accident would most probably have been avoided. Correct grammar pays!

I beg to differ. It's not about grammer..it's about pronounciation..that's why the standard ATC pronounciation today dropped the word 'to' as it's confusing. Refer earlier post by our Capt. ;)

Edited by Azrin A

Considering back then, if that's the reason "to" is dropped, it should be more appropriate to include "to," as grammar demands. Now that the convention is to drop "to" in this jargon, I would say an inclusion of "to" can then be misleading.

Grammar does pay, anyway, though correct usage of grammar doesn't mean confusion won't arise. Symbollic logic are devised to remove confusion in ordinary language, and symbollic logic itself is far from the ultimate solution to precise communication.

Perhaps the SMS messages like what TK told us on his Walk around the airliner series is better. "Descend 2400" is typed on the screens rather than relying on word of mouth. We have more options today for sure.

There's always a readback for every clearance given. I wonder if they read back "descend four zero zero" or "descend two four zero zero"? I agree it's damn confusing. The ATC may have missed the incorrect readback. So many flights a day...always happens.

Luckily nowadays we have "whoop whoop PULL UP"!

Ha ha... Yeah... "Woop, woop..."

One more confusion... Imagine sms were used. We Malaysians like shorthands... It might go like "dsn 400." Ok, perhaps this is quite clear - descend to 400. But, say "descend to 4100", sms might go like "dsn 4100". Then it might sound like "descend for 100". Who knows? When you don't care about using the correct conjunction (if I use the correct word here also!), you could say "to", "for" or ignore are all acceptable! :lol: