MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Norwegian Air Shuttle Starts Gatwick-Singapore from 28 September 2017

What is the seat pitch of economy seats? If it is not too cramped, might be a good deal if one is living in Johore.

Thanks flee! 31 in pitch for 8 hours, I think it is bearable. I think it would not be far off than what D7 offer to Aussie cities. I reckon for London route, may be slightly uncomfortable. But it was cheap though, so can't complaint too much about it!

Thanks flee! 31 in pitch for 8 hours, I think it is bearable. I think it would not be far off than what D7 offer to Aussie cities. I reckon for London route, may be slightly uncomfortable. But it was cheap though, so can't complaint too much about it!

Take sleeping pills, time will pass by so so fast........be aware of DVT though.

Anyhow, looks like those B787 are printing money for Norwegian! AirAsia X Management Board must be having a meeting now how to counter this offering, or they maybe planning to co-operate with DY. However it is LGW-SIN, it would be much better if they can do LGW-KUL to leverage on both connecting flight to respective region. One thing for sure, pushing back those A350 delivery was a bad decision, looking at it right now.

Scoot should be worried with this new service. If I am TF, I will co-operate with DY to keep Scoot out. If need be, deploy A330 on KUL-SIN-KUL, to allow more connectivity. Or they can use Thai AirAsia daily SIN-BKK (DMK) to further enhance connectivity through FD and XJ.

Long haul LCC is raising, previously unheard off after Laker Airways. All thanks to AirAsia X, everyone is now dabbling with it. Level, Norwegian Long Haul, Jin Air, Jetstar, Scoot, WOW Air, Azul Brasil Airlines etc. Premium carrier should be shitting their pants now, unless they re-draw their business strategies by going upper end market like SQ, or deploying massive fleet with robust revenue management practice (like EK, EY and QR) to counter.

Anyhow, looks like those B787 are printing money for Norwegian! AirAsia X Management Board must be having a meeting now how to counter this offering, or they maybe planning to co-operate with DY. However it is LGW-SIN, it would be much better if they can do LGW-KUL to leverage on both connecting flight to respective region. One thing for sure, pushing back those A350 delivery was a bad decision, looking at it right now.

Scoot should be worried with this new service. If I am TF, I will co-operate with DY to keep Scoot out. If need be, deploy A330 on KUL-SIN-KUL, to allow more connectivity. Or they can use Thai AirAsia daily SIN-BKK (DMK) to further enhance connectivity through FD and XJ.

Long haul LCC is raising, previously unheard off after Laker Airways. All thanks to AirAsia X, everyone is now dabbling with it. Level, Norwegian Long Haul, Jin Air, Jetstar, Scoot, WOW Air, Azul Brasil Airlines etc. Premium carrier should be shitting their pants now, unless they re-draw their business strategies by going upper end market like SQ, or deploying massive fleet with robust revenue management practice (like EK, EY and QR) to counter.

From their actions, it is unlikely that they are doing anything with Airasia. Knowing Airasia, it would be hard for them to work with anyone who does not have any Airasia franchise!

As for competition, I don't think it will hurt D7 too much. How many pax from Sg connect to D7 long haul flights? They got Scoot and Jetstar - so those two airlines will feel the pinch more than D7.

However, from a strategic prospective, D7 must keep DY from expanding to KUL or DPS. So they probably need to do something about starting a service to Europe. Maybe they should do a short term A359 MSN003 (this aircraft is to be sold) lease deal with Airbus pending the arrival of their own. Many airlines are rethinking their orders, so D7 may be able to take over some of the early A359 and A339 slots.

All in all, a very interesting development and it may spur the Airasia X group to rethink the strategy for their 3 companies.... Meanwhile, airlines like MH. SQ. TG. CX. etc. will have to have many long nights... :aggressive:

It looks like D7 indecisiveness has cost them a lot. All talks but no action. And wrong aircraft at the wrong time, A339 can never reach London comfortably from KUL. The deferral of A359 has now proved to be an unwise decision. The cost of overly cautious.

With ek, qr, mh and ba around, d7 kul-lgw fare need to be real low to attract enough pax to break even. And the break even point on d7 a359 could be above 80%. Not sure d7 could fill enough pax to break even point during off peak season.

With ek, qr, mh and ba around, d7 kul-lgw fare need to be real low to attract enough pax to break even. And the break even point on d7 a359 could be above 80%. Not sure d7 could fill enough pax to break even point during off peak season.

If that's the case then Norwegian is in a even bigger trouble operating into SIN as the competition is even fiercer ex SIN. As the Ryanair boss once said, be big or go home. Here's the thing, every destination is not profit guaranteed even some popular domestic and regional destinations. If ur logic is true then they're in deep trouble flying Osaka-Honolulu as the Japanese and American's airlines will kill them. But they're willing to risk it despite the known outcome. What is the distinction then between flying Kix-Hnl and Kul-Lgw? Are they not equally risky?

If that's the case then Norwegian is in a even bigger trouble operating into SIN as the competition is even fiercer ex SIN. As the Ryanair boss once said, be big or go home. Here's the thing, every destination is not profit guaranteed even some popular domestic and regional destinations. If ur logic is true then they're in deep trouble flying Osaka-Honolulu as the Japanese and American's airlines will kill them. But they're willing to risk it despite the known outcome. What is the distinction then between flying Kix-Hnl and Kul-Lgw? Are they not equally risky?

On KIX-HNL, I don't think Delta, Hawaiian & JAL can beat D7's cost structure so D7 can undercut the three & still make money.

On KUL-LGW, BA is capturing premium market ex-LHR. EK & QR are getting the Y market ex-KUL. MH is getting the leftovers from BA, EK & QR - plus MH's cost structure is not much higher than D7's. And all of them are flying into LHR where the connection into London is slightly better than LGW or even STN.

Not forgetting the fact that D7 don't have the right equipment to fly KUL-LGW nonstop.

It's going to be an uphill struggle for D7 to get back to Europe to be honest.

It looks like D7 indecisiveness has cost them a lot. All talks but no action. And wrong aircraft at the wrong time, A339 can never reach London comfortably from KUL. The deferral of A359 has now proved to be an unwise decision. The cost of overly cautious.

I don't think many people realise how close D7 were to bankruptcy to cause their former CEO to resign.

They were fast running out of cash and had to make a cash call on the shareholders - selling more new shares at only 17 sen each!

The decisions made then were based on information available at that moment. They did not have government bailouts like MAS did. So, deferring aircraft orders was one way of preserving cash. And the A350 was one expensive aircraft!

Oil prices were very high and flying long haul was not economic for them. They had to stop the bleeding or they would have bled to death. It is easy to look back with hindsight and say they made wrong decisions.

If they had really made wrong decisions, they would not be here today.

On KIX-HNL, I don't think Delta, Hawaiian & JAL can beat D7's cost structure so D7 can undercut the three & still make money.

On KUL-LGW, BA is capturing premium market ex-LHR. EK & QR are getting the Y market ex-KUL. MH is getting the leftovers from BA, EK & QR - plus MH's cost structure is not much higher than D7's. And all of them are flying into LHR where the connection into London is slightly better than LGW or even STN.

Not forgetting the fact that D7 don't have the right equipment to fly KUL-LGW nonstop.

It's going to be an uphill struggle for D7 to get back to Europe to be honest.

Well then where does Norwegian stand in SIN in the face of SQ (3 daily?) BA EK QR EY TK? Only time will tell?

I think they should have leveraged on AK's KUL hub instead of going straight to SIN which has multiple daily A380 flights to LHR

I wish DY the best of luck. BA often offers ~€350 MAD-SIN/KUL and DY fares aren't that low when you include other ala carte items e.g. bags and meals.

If that's the case then Norwegian is in a even bigger trouble operating into SIN as the competition is even fiercer ex SIN.

Demand is also way stronger to and from SIN.

I think they should have leveraged on AK's KUL hub instead of going straight to SIN which has multiple daily A380 flights to LHR

I am sure DY has done some research on SIN. They don't just throw darts on a map. SIN can sustain 3 daily A380 flights plus 3 B77W.

Edited by Craig

If I remembered correctly, they fly from Oslo to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi. My brother has flown with them before.

yup they have direct flights from BKK to Oslo, Stockholm, and Copenhagen. not with the best frequency though.

There wouldn't be 3x A380 and 3x 77W if the demand isn't there.

London-Singapore becomes world's longest LCC route as Norwegian enters: Long haul low cost

European LCC group Norwegian is to launch service from London Gatwick to Singapore on 28-Sep-2017. London-Singapore will become the longest route in Norwegian’s network – and the longest route by any LCC globally.
London-Singapore is a large market but is currently only served nonstop in both directions by Singapore Airlines (SIA) and British Airways. Norwegian should be able to stimulate new demand and attract passengers who are now flying on competitively priced one stop products.
There will also be opportunities to carry passengers beyond London and Singapore. However, Norwegian will need to rely mainly on end to end traffic.
More:

Sign in to follow this