MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
kandiah k

VS making losses on LHR-HKG-SYD vv ?

What do you guys think about the recent issue on VS having poor load factors on the LHR-HKG-SYD ?

There was a news report that VS was having a negotiation with SQ on a code share agreement on the SIN-SYD-SIN sector. Currently, they have code share on the KUL-SYD-KUL on MH.

Today, however, Mr. Branson denied the rumours and acknowledged that it was suffering with CX and QF increasing the LHR-HKG-SYD sectors.

Will they reroute their services via another point ? Any chance of KUL becoming a station for VS ?

What are your views on this ?

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

Oh yes!! You read my mind...i think KUL being a point for VS would be really good...i mean the load factor KUL-SYD flights has always been great..theres great potential in the route...i mean..flying LHR-HKG-SYD...doesnt sound too good....competition is high..and the route seems a lil....wierd..haha...i dont know..but i think a KUL stop would be nice..think about all those europe-asia demand..and then the asia-aust demand..and then also the europe--aust demand...its a good load factor..and less competition...

wanna go to sydney to london vice versa? nothing beats via kul or sin.

why go north then turn west where you can easily go direct northwest.

Neh mind one... Virgin has opened a new chain of underwear outlets which are doing good.

They sell quite a nice range of panties...

Can offset Airlines loss... laugh.gif

Does OS actually operate full to/from KUL or is it to/from VIE/SYD ?

I think VS can renew their code share agreement with MH on a yearly basis at this point and maybe restart services into KUL ? Perhaps they may use BKK or even DXB ?

Oh yes...the problem is..airlines dont realize the potential of KUL just yet...wait till VS tries..next you know...BA and many more might start as well...but MAB has always been saying that by the end of this year there will be a MAJOR AIRLINE which they have been in talks with for a long time to strt flying into KUL..who could that be...and anyone ever wondered why isnt BA flying into KUL..MH's UK runs are always full! and 3 flights a day to LHR ..and not a single flight by BA? isnt tht a lil...misjudging of the route potential?

BA operation cost is high compared to MH. most of the cost are in british pounds. they cant make money if they want to charge pax competitively. plus not that easy to fill up front row from KUL. business traffic is still not as strong compared to bkk or sin.

i dont understand why KUL lags behind BKK and SIN in terms of business traffic when KUL is the economic powerhouse of Malaysia....

thailand does not have as great an economy as Malaysia....singapore definitely has a strong base....

i bet you that many european businessmen travel to KUL via SIN....

why are all these airlines refusing to fly to KL??

even with the waived landing charges/airport fees....we can't even get lesser airlines such as Ethiopian, air seychelles, air madagascar, air zimbabwe, transaero to fly to KUL... forget about BA/QF/NW/UA/SK/AY/TK/RJ/NH/OZ/SU/NZ/SR

obviously the big hubs will get bigger and bigger and the small/medium sized hubs (i.e. KUL) will keep losing out on traffic..

SIN handled 30 million last year cf KUL 21.5 million.....

we're not growing as fast as SIN/BKK...and now SIN has got LCCs operating from it....

i've been hoping and hoping since i was like 9 years old....but somehow we have been, are and will always be at the bottom of the list.

after 17 years....i've finally given up!! i can't believe it but the time has finally come when i'm just not bothered anymore.

MAB is crap and they just don't have the drive and initiative to take KLIA further..

they need people who actually KNOW something about the airline industry and tourism....or even better....with some common sense!!!!

just my two cents worth....

why are all these airlines refusing to fly to KL?? 

even with the waived landing charges/airport fees....we can't even get lesser airlines such as Ethiopian, air seychelles, air madagascar, air zimbabwe, transaero to fly to KUL... forget about BA/QF/NW/UA/SK/AY/TK/RJ/NH/OZ/SU/NZ/SR

5380[/snapback]

Could the alliance issue being one of the reasons why airlines choose to fly to BKK and SIN rather than KUL? This topic was discussed quite a few times at a.net, and the general consensus from their members is this. For example, if AA/BA/QF want to channel passangers from all parts of America and UK to Australia, they can pool all passanger to LHR, then from LHR to SIN, then from SIN to different destinations in Australia, thus offering flexibility to passangers. Much like what UA/NW are doing now at Tokyo and Osaka I guess.

I am not sure if this is the determining factor, but this sounds logical to me. However, I would really think VS flying to SYD via KULwould make a lot of sense, more so if VS and MH continue to codeshare on destinations beyond KUL and LHR. I really think it would be mutually beneficial for both companies to work closer on the kangaroo route. VS could channel passangers from North America to LHR, while MH could channel passangers from Australasia region to KUL. In between KUL and LHR, MH/VS to work out on frequencies and service. I think that would really be an eye catcher, considering the fact that both companies offer excellent inflight products.

I heard that Virgin wanted to fly via HKG because it is the shortest route to Australia - I know this sounds weird but apparently the world is not flat blink.gif and maybe someone knows the great circle map thingie and can check?

Between 1999- 2003 I was doing a lot of Europe - South East Asia business trips and I really wanted to fly via KLIA but when I look at flight connections I had no choice but to go mostly via SIN and sometimes BKK. SQ provides so many connections to a lot of cities in the region that it is just a lot more convenient to fly via SIN. If I had to fly via KLIA... I would need to spend hours on transit and unfortunately, KLIA has not much "entertainment" to offer to transit passengers compared to Changi.

So to me it is pretty basic - SQ has a strong network in the region so you have a decent transit time in SIN. Even if you do have to spend more time than you would like on transit, Changi is one of the best airports to be stuck in. The combination of this means strong passenger growth, thus attracting more airlines over there, thus improving flight connections, etc. etc..

And I know a lot of people here in Switzerland who would like to fly MH to Asia/Australia for holidays (economy class), but MH only flies 3 times a week from ZRH. TG and SQ fly daily. How to fly MH when your holiday plans are so inflexible because of the lack of flights?

And I know a lot of people here in Switzerland who would like to fly MH to Asia/Australia for holidays (economy class), but MH only flies 3 times a week from ZRH.  TG and SQ fly daily.  How to fly MH when your holiday plans are so inflexible because of the lack of flights?

5403[/snapback]

The problem with MH is that they simply do not have enough equipment ie 744 or 772 to expand or increase frequencies to long haul destinations....Am not too sure about ZRH but CDG was on the cards for increased frequencies but alas, not enough aircraft......think the consensus was to discuss with AF to use their own equipment into KUL and code-share with MH

The problem with MH is that they simply do not have enough equipment ie 744 or 772 to expand or increase frequencies to long haul destinations....Am not too sure about ZRH but CDG was on the cards for increased frequencies but alas, not enough aircraft......think the consensus was to discuss with AF to use their own equipment into KUL and code-share with MH

5405[/snapback]

I heard MAS got slot problem at CDG.

And MAS management still says..its ok..we are doing fine??? LOL>....how many Airbus flights at MH had been cancelled..or retimed because of this....

5539[/snapback]

Well, tht's typical, refuse to admit that there is a problem until it gets way out of hand.

who wants to bet that the ONE MAJOR AIRLINE that will commence flights to KLIA will be air sahara???

they just keep on saying crap all the time.... i will be really disappointed in BA or QF do not resume services this year...so i'm just lowering my expectations!

MAHB.... going below expectations...

i think it will be difficult to get VS to fly to KUL....since SIA owns 49% of the airline.

unless....they decide that they want a share of the kangaroo route via KUL...

wink.gif

SIA owns 49% of VS??? ...my goodness i never knew that....thats horrible..those SQ guys are juz trying to dominate the aviation world..thts if they havent already done it...

yeah....SQ is definitely on the list....while they don't fly to as many places as EK...they own sizeable portions of many airlines...including VS!!! they are or were the most profitable airline in the world...

what matters is not flying to a destination with 10-20 flights a day but MAKING MONEY!!!!

they now want to get more money off the Ozzie-US route which is rightly controlled by QF...and to a lesser extent UA.

(its like JL wanting to get a big share of the CDG - JNB route....or some other totally random route)

but i suppose if QF makes use of SIN as a hub....then SQ maybe has the right to do the same in SYD/MEL...

either way...they are big fat greedy money grabbers...kiasu as hell! tongue.gif

Sign in to follow this