MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Hon Lin

The True Malaysia Airlines History Information

hey guys, i have just looked through some of the articles at wikipedia not long ago...to found out that actually SIA has gotten more advantage, planes, hubs, value of company than MAS when MSA splitted apart more than 3 decades ago. It says there that SIA had then got all the planes except for fokker-27s and some boeing jets...in some case they were preserved for MAS. That was rather unfair! above of all things, SIA had all the attention from the world and immediate took off their aviation business internationally, and MAS had to start from scratch(domestics)

Pls correct me guys..thx

You gotta know that life's not fair...

After all IIRC most MSA's international flights were bound from/to SIN. Furthermore some planes were 9V-regged. Hence they got those 707s and 737s and leave nothing more than a few F27s to MAS... mad.gif They also inherited the *12 Boeing customer code... mad.gif mad.gif

Oh well, you gotta take into account that SQ was forced to pay more money at the end of the breakup. It seems like whatever Singapore does back then, was more towards the benefit of the city state itself rather than the Federation as a whole.

Just FYI, Singapore was expelled out of the Federation, rather than leaving the federation herself.

It seems like whatever Singapore does back then, was more towards the benefit of the city state itself rather than the Federation as a whole.

Well, the label Kiasu on them certainly didn't come out of nothing laugh.gif

Just FYI, Singapore was expelled out of the Federation, rather than leaving the federation herself.

3716[/snapback]

Yeah, true. But irritatingly soooo many books phrase the separation as if it was out of Singapore's own will it withdrew.

Singapore was thrown out from the Federation,i doubt that's true,with its strategic location as an international port and international trading centre the Federation of Malaysia would never want to let Singapore go easily,I thought there was a referendum carried out to acquire Singaporean's view on whether they should stay or leave the Federation,majority chose to leave.Moreover,don't forget that they erased their history by stating that the early beginning of Singapore started at the time of the acquisition by Stamford Raffles,ever heard of Parameswara in their History text book?NIL!

Singapore was thrown out from the Federation,i doubt that's true,with its strategic location as an international port and international trading centre the Federation of Malaysia would never want to let Singapore go easily,I thought there was a referendum carried out to acquire Singaporean's view on whether they should stay or leave the Federation,majority chose to leave.

Nope, it's true. Singapore was evicted. Apparently Singapore's economic value is not worth the headache and threat that Singapore was posing to Malaysian overall peace and stability at the time.

The only referendum carried out was before the formation of Malaysia, with more than 2/3rds of the population agreeing to join Malaysia.

TUnku Abdul rahman's announcement can be read at the following link (on a Singapore site, of all places! smile.gif )

http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/merger/headline/mdream.html

Further reading:

http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/merger/headline/mstrong.html

My colleagues and I would prefer that Singapore remain in Malaysia and we felt that there could be other solutions to the present impasse.

However, as you have indicated that the situation does not lend itself to any other workable settlement and as you have impressed upon me that Singapore remaining in Malaysia will lead to a situation you may not able to control, we have no alternative but to be resigned to your wish that Singapore leaves the Federation of Malaysia.

I and my colleagues had rejoiced at the reunification of Singapore with Malaysia in September 1963.

It has come as a blow to us that the peace and security of Malaysia can only be served by the expulsion of Singapore from Malaysia.

If this is the price for peace in Malaya and Singapore, then we must accept it, however agonising our inner feelings may be.

Singapore’s Deputy Prime Minister,

Dr Toh Chin Chye

Guest Fendy

basically, from what i gather from textbooks, singapore did not have any history worth remembering until raffles and the british came... unsure.gif

I'm glad to be a Malaysian, and proud that MAS, despite its trying infancy years, beat the odds and come out flying high smile.gif

Singapore was thrown out from the Federation,i doubt that's true,with its strategic location as an international port and international trading centre the Federation of Malaysia would never want to let Singapore go easily,I thought there was a referendum carried out to acquire Singaporean's view on whether they should stay or leave the Federation,majority chose to leave.Moreover,don't forget that they erased their history by stating that the early beginning of Singapore started at the time of the acquisition by Stamford Raffles,ever heard of Parameswara in their History text book?NIL!

Don't count on your personal opinion, please read some history books. SM Lee Kuan Yew burst into tears during the separation. SM Lee was the one who wanted to hold on to the Federation and felt that there should be a solution for mutual benefit, read one of the posts above. Singapore needs the federation's land mass and the labour work force to fuel her economy, while the federation needs Singapore's established port.

I guess the reason why I establish the separation is just for people to know that don't blame everything on Singapore. Just judging facts in an impartial way.

Nope, it's true. Singapore was evicted. Apparently Singapore's economic value is not worth the headache and threat that Singapore was posing to Malaysian overall peace and stability at the time.

There's more than that, includes racial tension as well. At the time of formation, the ethnic Chinese population was slightly a little bit more than the Malay population. Back then, many did not felt comfortable about this fact, given that the federation was just established not too long ago.

There's more than that, includes racial tension as well.  At the time of formation, the ethnic Chinese population was slightly a little bit more than the Malay population.  Back then, many did not felt comfortable about this fact, given that the federation was just established not too long ago.

3787[/snapback]

Yeap, I think I covered it nicely under 'not worth the headache and threat Singapore was posing to Malaysian peace and stability at the time' rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

Yeap, I think I covered it nicely under 'not worth the headache and threat Singapore was posing to Malaysian peace and stability at the time' 

Oh I see smile.gif

Don't count on your personal opinion, please read some history books. SM Lee Kuan Yew burst into tears during the separation. SM Lee was the one who wanted to hold on to the Federation and felt that there should be a solution for mutual benefit, read one of the posts above. Singapore needs the federation's land mass and the labour work force to fuel her economy, while the federation needs Singapore's established port.

I guess the reason why I establish the separation is just for people to know that don't blame everything on Singapore. Just judging facts in an impartial way.

i dont think i've made any false statement by i believe in what i've learned in my History subject of my country Malaysia,ironically i remembered a newspaper report some years back quoting Goh Chok Tong or one of Singaporean minister saying that they might consider rejoining Malaysia?if they have the choice to return to Malaysia,i doubt that they were actually expelled by us at first,RETURN is a choice for those who make their decision freely.

i dont think i've made any false statement by i believe in what i've learned in my History subject of my country Malaysia,ironically i remembered a newspaper report some years back quoting Goh Chok Tong or one of Singaporean minister saying that they might consider rejoining Malaysia?if they have the choice to return to Malaysia,i doubt that they were actually expelled by us at first,RETURN is a choice for those who make their decision freely.

3841[/snapback]

Check the links of the Singaporean sites I gave you honey... rolleyes.gif Those are the hard facts.

ironically i remembered a newspaper report some years back quoting Goh Chok Tong or one of Singaporean minister saying that they might consider rejoining Malaysia?if they have the choice to return to Malaysia,i doubt that they were actually expelled by us at first,RETURN is a choice for those who make their decision freely

Thats not how the world politics work. Historically Singapore is part of Malaysia and yet we share similar cultures and historical links, even until today. If it works the benefit of both sides, then surely it can rejoin the federation. Thats really up to the politicians and they are good at putting up good shows.

As Azmal pointed out, Singapore was expelled by Malaysia, that is a hard fact. Nowdays, young Malaysian and Singaporean alike has the tendency of thinking it was Singapore who parted from Malaysia. No doubt Singapore is doing much better than us, considering the fact that they don't have our land mass and our 7 fold population (compared to Singapore).

basically, from what i gather from textbooks, singapore did not have any history worth remembering until raffles and the british came...

believe me,there are many more than that...

Thats not how the world politics work.  Historically Singapore is part of Malaysia and yet we share similar cultures and historical links, even until today.  If it works the benefit of both sides, then surely it can rejoin the federation.  Thats really up to the politicians and they are good at putting up good shows.

3861[/snapback]

Well said, Choong!

Nowdays, young Malaysian and Singaporean alike has the tendency of thinking it was Singapore who parted from Malaysia.  No doubt Singapore is doing much better than us, considering the fact that they don't have our land mass and our 7 fold population (compared to Singapore).

3861[/snapback]

ooh, now you make me feel old (hehe honestly, I am!)! laugh.gif

razif, razif...where did you read in the history books about singapore opting out of malaysia..... like all the others said...singapore was expelled from the federation by our PM....

lee kuan yew apparently had intentions to bring PAP into the peninsular and also wanted to have the chance to be the PM..

lee kuan yew apparently had intentions to bring PAP into the peninsular and also wanted to have the chance to be the PM..

I do think that Lee Kuan Yew is quite a visionary leader. Nothing wrong with that, but situations and political weather at that time will not allow him to be a PM of the Federation. But if he becomes the PM it will probably make us as much "Kiasu" as the Singaporeans laugh.gif

we hope the sharing of opinions and comments made so far are with regards to purely historical facts.

it is good to know the history of the separation singapore and malaysia. some of the things discussed give me the general knowledge that i am not aware of previously. thanx guys.

however i hope replies made so far and future replies to be shared would not lead to some members and viewers in this website to be upset. it is wise to practice sensitivity before any comment is passed, more so, regarding this topic. dont u think so guys?

cheers!

I too agree with azahan on this issue

However i'm going to hope that you guys know how to control the situation

and not let it get out of hand . I'm positive that everything will be safe and sound

The purpose of a forum , is to express opinions on a certain topic and thats what u guys are doing . just dont end up flaming each other smile.gif

we hope the sharing of opinions and comments made so far are with regards to purely historical facts.

it is good to know the history of the separation singapore and malaysia. some of the things discussed give me the general knowledge that i am not aware of previously. thanx guys.

however i hope replies made so far and future replies to be shared would not lead to some members and viewers in this website to be upset.  it is wise to practice sensitivity before any comment is passed, more so, regarding this topic. dont u think so guys?

cheers!

4927[/snapback]

Agreed.

I too agree with azahan on this issue

However i'm going to hope that you guys know how to control the situation

and not let it get out of hand . I'm positive that everything will be safe and sound

The purpose of a forum , is to express opinions on a certain topic and thats what u guys are doing . just dont end up flaming each other smile.gif

4933[/snapback]

I completely agree with you..

That flaming is the precise reason why i feel Airliners.net has gone down the drain, there are too many guys out there with a convienient credit card in hand, and they buy one, just to start flaming each other, starting A v B wars, discrediting others, and god knows what else.. Every other thread over there seems to be just like a bunch of 5 year olds bickering about who has the best toy..

at the end of the day, everybody including viewers, members and crew members are very valuable to this website. this website has been performing well and infact beyond my own expectation at this infant stage. it is fun, everybody seems to be happy and enjoying judging from all your participations so far. let us make sure that we have the common goal to make sure our small malaysian wings family live happily together.

cheers to all of you and the crew members! now lets get back to business! hehe